HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #85 - Offseason Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
The way AL had been playing lately that is probably not going to be on the table. One of the best fit for Monahan would probably be Colorado. Maybe Boston if the 19 years old kid slow down too much.
yes for it to work. Monahan need to keep producing and AL need to slow down. We could add to the offer since we have many D prospects and many pick but yeah they probably wont trade AL. Colorado and Boston could be good fit too. Monahan could pretty much fit in any cap space

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If that is true, what Elliott says
Of habs trying to sign Sean M , wonder how much? 3.5 mill for 3 years or more
If you're talking about what Friedman said yesterday he said that about MTL and Montembeault, not Monahan (unless i missed something new).

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If you're talking about what Friedman said yesterday he said that about MTL and Montembeault, not Monahan (unless i missed something new).

With that said, I’d seriously evaluate resigning Monahan if it’s possible and not an extreme overpay

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Ah ok.
Sorry all

According to Michael DeRosa of the NHL Trade Rumors site, two teams have already expressed strong interest in the Habs center player. He says the Boston Bruins and the Colorado Avalanche are very interested in obtaining the services of number 91 from the Canadiens.

Just a concept

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Wild proposal, but I wonder if the Leafs would trade Tavares + 1st and 2nd round pick for Monahan +Harris?

Tavares has only one more year left on his deal after this. Trading Monahan opens a ton of cap room for the leafs to try and fill other holes and they gain a stable young d-man.

I don't know if that is exactly the parameters of the trade, but I feel like a Monahan-Tavares swap could actually work between both teams. Leafs really need cap, habs have the cap. Tavares as a one year stop gap at centre, even at big money, would be great for the habs.
Lol. Tavares. Are you serious? Why?

Wild proposal, but I wonder if the Leafs would trade Tavares + 1st and 2nd round pick for Monahan +Harris?

Tavares has only one more year left on his deal after this. Trading Monahan opens a ton of cap room for the leafs to try and fill other holes and they gain a stable young d-man.

I don't know if that is exactly the parameters of the trade, but I feel like a Monahan-Tavares swap could actually work between both teams. Leafs really need cap, habs have the cap. Tavares as a one year stop gap at centre, even at big money, would be great for the habs.
You get a first and very good young prospect for Monahan. Not Tavares. Lol what a dumb proposal. Seriously

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ah ok.
Sorry all

According to Michael DeRosa of the NHL Trade Rumors site, two teams have already expressed strong interest in the Habs center player. He says the Boston Bruins and the Colorado Avalanche are very interested in obtaining the services of number 91 from the Canadiens.

Just a concept
Bruins already traded their picks, farm is empty

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We trade Monahan basically giving up on our season
There's no reality where KH trades Monahan now unless this is for a "king's ransom" and one player able to contribute now is coming back. Something like Trent Frederic + prospect (Lysell?)+ pick but such offer wont be made.

If he's traded he'll be traded at the deadline or 1-2 weeks before in return of a prospect and a pick. Either because we are 6 points or more away from a playoffs spot (considering we are very unlikely to hold the tie break since we still have only 2 RW the lowest amount in the entire league tied with SJ) or because Monahan wants too many years or too much money for KH taste.

If we resign him i hope it's going to be 2 years. I could stand behind resigning him for 2 years it would make sense. More years i would have trouble with.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Gally is not a liability. Campbell is. Saves you some money you don’t need now and will disrupt the room.

I don’t see the point to that. What elite forward are you getting with the cap savings from trading Gally? Habs will already have 10’a of millions in cap. Trading away Gally now doesn’t accomplish anything and your stick with Campbell for 5 years paying him $25M. It’s not a viable trade.
Trading Gally won't accomplish anything, period. Just plan on using Gally's Cap hit to re-sign younger, more talented players with upside and age on their side to a 2nd NHL contract when they are due up. Someone like Hutson or Reinbacher could well be candidates for parts of or all of that money since Montreal won't be mature as a team before 2027-2028 when Gallagher's contract is finally off the books.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's no reality where KH trades Monahan now unless this is for a "king's ransom" and one player able to contribute now is coming back. Something like Trent Frederic + prospect (Lysell?)+ pick but such offer wont be made.

If he's traded he'll be traded at the deadline or 1-2 weeks before in return of a prospect and a pick. Either because we are 6 points or more away from a playoffs spot (considering we are very unlikely to hold the tie break since we still have only 2 RW the lowest amount in the entire league tied with SJ) or because Monahan wants too many years or too much money for KH taste.

If we resign him i hope it's going to be 2 years. I could stand behind resigning him for 2 years it would make sense. More years i would have trouble with.
I doubt Monahan is part of our future. He will hit it big this off season and is injury riddled

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
From the Oilers press conference, Holland is looking for a trading partner because they are in win mode now.

I hope Hughes is all over this...

They are in cap purgatory. Check it out if you haven't. They would have to get very creative to make any deals helpful to them this year. I think they only way we deal with them is a straight-up hockey trade. IE, Goalie and/or D for high draft picks or good non-roster prospects. Maybe a Monty/Harris kind of deal as I mentioned earlier. I still can't believe anyone suggesting we absorb Campbell for 5 years even if it meant a good pick in return. It's clear that Edm fired the wrong guy. Holland should've been the one to go...look at the mess he created:

Reactions: morhilane

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

There's also no reality where Monahan gets traded he's injured again...

Just saying...

I can see the tankers' wet dream where we trade Monahan right before he gets injured again and we scrap the entire season with Dach also out for the year.

I'd personally consider extending Monahan -- ideally form three years at around 4.5M, but up to four years at that amount if that's how the deal gets done -- but, if reasonable terms like these can't be arrived at, I move Monahan at the deadline...

They are in cap purgatory. Check it out if you haven't. They would have to get very creative to make any deals helpful to them this year. I think they only way we deal with them is a straight-up hockey trade. IE, Goalie and/or D for high draft picks or good non-roster prospects. Maybe a Monty/Harris kind of deal as I mentioned earlier. I still can't believe anyone suggesting we absorb Campbell for 5 years even if it meant a good pick in return. It's clear that Edm fired the wrong guy. Holland should've been the one to go...look at the mess he created:

Montembeault, at 1M, is the only G that makes sense for EDM. Allen is too expensive and Primeau doesn't have much of a track record to have any real value.

That said, how much does anyone think Montembeault is actually worth? At bestir the EDM GM is on uppers, a 2nd round pick?

Reactions: ReHabs

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
There's also no reality where Monahan gets traded he's injured again...

Just saying...

I can see the tankers' wet dream where we trade Monahan right before he gets injured again and we scrap the entire season with Dach also out for the year.

I'd personally consider extending Monahan -- ideally form three years at around 4.5M, but up to four years at that amount if that's how the deal gets done -- but, if reasonable terms like these can't be arrived at, I move Monahan at the deadline...

Montembeault, at 1M, is the only G that makes sense for EDM. Allen is too expensive and Primeau doesn't have much of a track record to have any real value.

That said, how much does anyone think Montembeault is actually worth? At bestir the EDM GM is on uppers, a 2nd round pick?
Keep dreaming that Monahan will agree to a 3 year deals. At this pace he will want that guaranteed of 6+ years due to injuries , something that nobody in the league should give him at this point. 3 years would be a no brainer but there is 0 reason to give him that at the point of our rebuild that we are still not done removing the old frame to begin with.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Why would Monahan extend for dirt cheap if he's having a good year and is on the verge of one last pay-day?

If he stays healthy he will cash in with a maximal contract wherever he can get it. If he gets struck down by injury he will be worthless on the trade market.

I like the guy and how he plays, he's an embodiment of the adage "class is permanent". The circumstances in which we received and retained his services makes it very difficult to picture him staying with us long-term. He should be sold to a contender and we should plan for a post-Monahan future.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Boeser with 12 goals, could have acquired him last January for nil. Most on this board didn't want him. Monahan our leading scorer with 6
Boeser wouldn't have 12 goals playing for this Habs team. Habs don't have the Sharks and the Oilers in their division. Vancouver faced the Oilers 3 times and the Sharks once and they scored a combined 28 goals there. They have 66 goals in 15 games, so the other 38 goals were against 11 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad