Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just what we need... a center who is turning 30 this summer who hasn't played at least 70 games since the 2011-2012 season, and has only played a full 82 games twice in his career.

Good when healthy, but the guy's not healthy much.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Well, it would probably cost a Spurgeon and a Granlund for Duchene. Don't know if we would be a better team after it, though we would have our mythical " #1C".

I'm extremely anti-trading Spurgeon. But Duchene, even at the cost of Granlund, is a player i'd do it for.

He's legit, trapped in a horse-crap system.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Love Malkin and would love to have him on our team but TaLoN nailed it with the health issues. Also, if you guys think Stepan's faceoff numbers are bad wait till you see Malkin's ;)

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Just what we need... a center who is turning 30 this summer who hasn't played at least 70 games since the 2011-2012 season, and has only played a full 82 games twice in his career.

Good when healthy, but the guy's not healthy much.

I feel like Malkin would still be a great player through the end of his deal (how many times has that happened for the Wild??), but you're right about the health issues. Plus, the cost would just be way, way too high, unless the Pens feel like paying the universe back for their thievery of Kessel ;)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Cost of Malkin would be Granlund+mid range asset and then a cap dump like Pominville.

Like people said, that contract is out of control and he always gets injured.

J22*

Yeah for the cost of Malkin I'd almost rather take a stab at Stamkos, except his injury history is a bit more unnerving.

You would still have to find a way to move all of the same people off of the roster. Malkin is also a much better player than Stamkos.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah for the cost of Malkin I'd almost rather take a stab at Stamkos, except his injury history is a bit more unnerving.

Sad thing is we could sign Stamkos for the max 7 years and Parise and Suter would still be here longer...

Malkin is great when he's healthy, but he's not healthy for a full season. I could see GMCF making a run at him. Just to make a splash.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
buyout or trade vanek and go after malkin? he is old, I'd rather have someone who is 25 or younger if possible. like a Duchene, which is the ideal age CF already mentioned.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Love Malkin and would love to have him on our team but TaLoN nailed it with the health issues. Also, if you guys think Stepan's faceoff numbers are bad wait till you see Malkin's ;)

Agree for the most part, but screw FO numbers when you have a talent like Malkin. Malkin has been a great player, but he is heading towards the downside of his career. Not wise to fling young assets at PITT for him.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Agree for the most part, but screw FO numbers when you have a talent like Malkin. Malkin has been a great player, but he is heading towards the downside of his career. Not wise to fling young assets at PITT for him.

Yeah, PIT would definitely end up winning that trade.

I have to say though, it's still weird to me that a 30 yr old is now viewed as an old geezer in the NHL. Didn't the UFA age used to be 32?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Interesting thing about Malkin is that you could maybe get him without a Dman.

Which would free up a second move.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
who'd we trade, granny++++? I assume Malkin is not a FA

He's signed for like $9.5 mil. until like 2022. I think the Pens trading him is definitely a possibility, because they know they could get a fair bit for him. Problem just is that with his injury history you really have to worry about him slowing down soon.

It would be interesting to see how he'd handle being "The Guy" on a team, since he's always kind of been second fiddle to Crosby, and IIRC they've never been able to cement any lasting chemistry together, though they've tried him on the wing multiple times.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's signed for like $9.5 mil. until like 2022. I think the Pens trading him is definitely a possibility, because they know they could get a fair bit for him. Problem just is that with his injury history you really have to worry about him slowing down soon.

It would be interesting to see how he'd handle being "The Guy" on a team, since he's always kind of been second fiddle to Crosby, and IIRC they've never been able to cement any lasting chemistry together, though they've tried him on the wing multiple times.

He's been pretty good in the past when Crosby has been injured. I'm sure he'd be just fine being "the guy". Still wouldn't trade for him because of his cap hit, but age doesn't concern me too much with a player of his caliber. If Pittsburgh retained like 25% in a deal I'd probably be ok with it depending on what we'd have to give up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I have to say though, it's still weird to me that a 30 yr old is now viewed as an old geezer in the NHL. Didn't the UFA age used to be 32?

With his injury history, 30 isn't a comforting age is all. If he had a healthier history 30 itself isn't bad.

He will only become more fragile with time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Barrie is apparently off the market now. Perhaps the trade value of our guys goes up a little again.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

Its not about being an old geezer, Malkins best years are behind him and that price tag is massive for a guy who will decline. Yes he is an amazing player who might still put up numbers, but that is one ugly contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad