Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Trade/Expose better defensemen, and protect worse ones because at some point in time the worse ones might figure out there is a third zone on the ice they've been completely ignoring?

Makes sense

Trading Scandella and Spurgeon would boost our prospect pool a ton and we'd regain picks we lost. Expansion is happening and I see Brodin/Dumba playing more years than them from this point since both are younger and cheaper. Cap space and a good prospect pool would be nice for a change. Lengthens our Cup window as well if the prospects turn out. It's to be expected they will since I could see Spurgeon getting #4 in this draft and Scandella getting around #8-10.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Trading Scandella and Spurgeon would boost our prospect pool a ton and we'd regain picks we lost. Expansion is happening and I see Brodin/Dumba playing more years than them from this point since both are younger and cheaper. Cap space and a good prospect pool would be nice for a change. Lengthens our Cup window as well if the prospects turn out. It's to be expected they will since I could see Spurgeon getting #4 in this draft and Scandella getting around #8-10.

Brodin makes like $166k more a year than Scandella. But i do agree with protecting Dumba/Brodin. I might change my mind after next season depending on how it plays out.

Going from your idea:
Spurgeon might get 4oa.
Scandella might get 14oa or 29oa+ player from Bos. Or player + picks from Buf (they aren't losing their only first rounded while hosting the draft). Based on other team's needs.

I don't think I'd trade both of them this year. Give Reilly/Olofsson/Folin a year to adjust/force their way into the lineup.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If the expansion rules are true, I would really like to be able to hold on to Spurgeon, Scandella, AND Brodin. I know that is probably not possible, but that just sucks.

Accordingly, I would think about moving 2 defensemen with 2 forwards in two deals for a top center and a RW.

We'll just have to go with a great 1-2-3. and solid 5-6, and then just struggle along until we get a #4.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Guess I'll put this in this thread.

Offseason Primer: Kyle Okposo

Pretty good rundown on whether he's worth the money he's gonna get, wherever he gets it (probably not Brooklyn).

The guy's no slouch, but I just can't wrap my head around paying some guy 7 million dollars to score 50 points. I know the NHL as a whole doesn't care about scoring anymore, but still.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Pretty good rundown on whether he's worth the money he's gonna get, wherever he gets it (probably not Brooklyn).

The guy's no slouch, but I just can't wrap my head around paying some guy 7 million dollars to score 50 points. I know the NHL as a whole doesn't care about scoring anymore, but still.

If you could get him shortish term (4-5), I don't think it's horrible. Basically replaces Vanek's salary. But it's definitely not the ideal solution.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Deal 1
Brodin+Kuemper+15th+Pominville

for

RNH+32nd+Fayne

Deal 2
Dumba+Zucker

for

Drouin

Deal 3
Granlund+Fayne

for

Stone

Deal 4
Buyout Vanek
Sign Okposo (w/o NMC)

Parise-RNH-Okposo
Drouin-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Fontaine
X-X-X

Suter-Stone
Scandella-Spurgeon
Reilly-Folin

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Plus it's not like he's what everybody thinks. He's not actually a power forward goal scorer.

Completely depends on the contract and whether the Wild could dump Pominville and Vanek's contract. Wild need another RW. But it would have to make sense.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah. I just don't see him as a solution to anything here, really, other than getting another #OneOfUs. He's a good player, but we already have good players. We really need someone who can totally take over games, not be another (expensive) piece of the puzzle.

Problem is, most teams need that.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Humongous big comeback: Ilya Bryzgalov wants to make return to NHL

b0eXj.gif

We've got our backup situation solved!

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Deal 1
Brodin+Kuemper+15th+Pominville

for

RNH+32nd+Fayne

Deal 2
Dumba+Zucker

for

Drouin

Deal 3
Granlund+Fayne

for

Stone

Deal 4
Buyout Vanek
Sign Okposo (w/o NMC)

Parise-RNH-Okposo
Drouin-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Fontaine
X-X-X

Suter-Stone
Scandella-Spurgeon
Reilly-Folin

All of these are possible I suppose but this one I just can't see happening.

Also I imagine it'd be JEE added to that top deal to make it happen.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Spurgeon+Coyle+JEE+15+Kuemper
for
Monahan/Bennett+Wideman

Buyout Vanek

Sign Okposo

Parise-Monahan-Nino
Granlund-Koivu-Okposo
Zucker-Haula-Pominville
Gabriel/Graovac/UFA

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly/Folin/Olofsson

Dubnyk
UFA

Honestly I still believe RNH is the best target and would look at something around Spurgeon for RNH. The one that piqued my interest the most was:
Spurgeon+Coyle+15
for
RNH+4+2017 1st

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
multiple sources have said there will probably be one big trade today. many believe it could involve the Rangers...

Someone said the team wants draft picks back and specifically mentioned a 2nd this year. So I doubt it's us.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If we trade a defenseman, no matter who it is, there will be raging. And no matter who it's for, there will be raging.

I can't wait. :sarcasm:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Not big on signing another vet to a long term deal, but at 28 he's at least closer in age to our young core than Vanek and Pominville are. I wouldn't be jumping for joy at the signing, but I wouldn't rage like some in here undoubtedly would.

Yes, in a vacuum, Okposo would be a great fit on a team that lacks a true top 6 RW that can score goals.

The only problem would be the cap hit and term of his contract and I don't think the odds are very good that Okposo accepts a deal that would make most of us happy and not cause us to enter the seventh circle of cap hell.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

And also make us an awful team, that has 3 top 4 defensemen. One of which that is very below average in the O zone and one that is very below average in the D zone.

If you do that, you'd better just blow it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad