Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Everyone is saying we can move Pominville, but can we? Doesn't have have a modified trade clause?

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Russo has reported multiple times that there are trading windows or other opening for Pominville, who does not have a full NTC.

Even if that is true you have to find someone willing to take him which I dont see IMO

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It's definitely possible. Chris Pronger got traded last year. Clarkson for Horton. Those are more extreme cases and different situations, but it's possible.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Even if that is true you have to find someone willing to take him which I dont see IMO

Honestly Pominville at 2mil retained isn't that bad of a value., He played much better under Torch than he did under Yeo. that would be 4mil for a guy who can pot 15g still not awful.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Bird in the hand worth...

Clear consensus is there are 3 studs in the draft this year and then a significant drop off. Several good to excellent prospects but still prospects who could be a couple years away. The clock is ticking big time on Mikko, Parise, and Suter. Are we in a rebuild? Can we give away a starter now for a prospect?

That being said, I'd give either Dumba or Brodin for Edm's pick. But would Edm do it?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Bird in the hand worth...

Clear consensus is there are 3 studs in the draft this year and then a significant drop off. Several good to excellent prospects but still prospects who could be a couple years away. The clock is ticking big time on Mikko, Parise, and Suter. Are we in a rebuild? Can we give away a starter now for a prospect?

I agree, I truly think you see the Wild trade 15 before they move up. A guy like Bobby Ryan, as has been suggested, wouldn't be a surprise, as Fletch is all-in on his core guys.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree, I truly think you see the Wild trade 15 before they move up. A guy like Bobby Ryan, as has been suggested, wouldn't be a surprise, as Fletch is all-in on his core guys.

Man, if I were Craig Leipold I'd be so disappointed. Fletcher might not be here long, but Leipold is going to own the team for a while. I'd hate to see the GM I hired trading away all of our futures to try to win now, because it most likely means we're going to go through a significant stretch in the future with no prospects, and no playoffs.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I'd hate to see the GM I hired trading away all of our futures to try to win now, because it most likely means we're going to go through a significant stretch in the future with no prospects, and no playoffs.

The Wild's prospect cupboard is almost empty. Clearly bottom 1/3rd in prospects, maybe a bottom five team. Fletcher got so much praise for restocking the prospect pool. Guess that was then, this is now...

Obviously the Wild was a Playoff team this year, but just barely; lowest point total for years...

Parise, Suter, and Mikko aren't getting any younger. IMO the Wild is in a "Win Now" phase.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild's prospect cupboard is almost empty. Clearly bottom 1/3rd in prospects, maybe a bottom five team. Fletcher got so much praise for restocking the prospect pool. Guess that was then, this is now...

Obviously the Wild was a Playoff team this year, but just barely; lowest point total for years...

Parise, Suter, and Mikko aren't getting any younger. IMO the Wild is in a "Win Now" phase.

The Wild's prospect cupboard is almost empty because 1) they all graduated and 2) he's been trading away futures like candy on halloween. Fletcher did a good job in the first few years at acquiring some good prospects, and deserved some praise for that, but it's a different time now.

Which leads me into the win now comment. Yes, we are in win now mode. However, we're in win now mode with a team that's clearly not good enough to win. We went for it way too early.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So we want to win now then why not trade #15 for JVR. Deal Dumba+ for RNH. Buyout Vanek and deal Kuemper+Zucker for picks to start a rebuild next year.

JVR-RNH-Coyle
Parise-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Haula-Pominville
Carter/Porter/Graovac/Gabriel

Suter-Spurgeon
Scandella-Brodin
Reilly/Olofsson/Folin

Dubnyk
Iowa/FA

We mortgage the future for the next 2 years and if it doesn't work, we sell and go proper rebuild.

Slow Motion

Jun 1, 2014
Obviously this is speculation, but I believe that part of the agreement to get Parise and Suter to sign here was a commitment on Fletcher's part to do what he could to help them win a Cup here in their window (now). Trades to bring in complementary players at the cost of future assets were likely part of that scenario. I get that we are in a tough situation as far as our future assets, but the last three years and enjoying play-off success was the trade off. I am actually OK with where we are ( a healthy Parise would really have helped against Dallas) ... I'm not sure I have the patience to have a team suck for years in hopes everything comes together later. Having said that, we really need to get it right with who we add this year (coach, draft, trades...) drifting back to mediocrity isn't much better than sucking.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
So with Matthews going to Toronto as well as Stamkos possibly signing there, could Kadri be available for cheap? I still think we should go after a centre, and even if he wasn't the legitimate #1C we crave for, he would allow us to play Granlund and Coyle on the wing.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So with Matthews going to Toronto as well as Stamkos possibly signing there, could Kadri be available for cheap? I still think we should go after a centre, and even if he wasn't the legitimate #1C we crave for, he would allow us to play Granlund and Coyle on the wing.

I personally wouldn't sign Kadri just because of his personality, especially on the ice. He is one player I do not like at all. Toronto just resigned him I believe, 4.5 mil per year, yikes?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Barf. Reeks of an owner who is pushing too hard, and a GM going for the short term result in order to save his job, at the expense of the team's future.

THere are some really good talents( potentially) in the top 17 or 18 players in this draft. I would hope that the Wild try to trade into the teens. Wonder if a Kuemper and Zucker( who is on the outs, I think, with the management) would fetch a 13-18 pick?

Wild as they stand now are good team that flirts with mediocrity. I think the wise thing to do right now is restock with some young talent, whether it be by drafting or otherwise, and expect another middling year next year. Expecting a Cup contender with a trade for an aging forward is silly, and injurious to the team in the long run.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I just think Zucker+Pominville for Bobby Ryan is such a Fletcher move. History with the player. Get a top-6 right-shot right wing. Something to sell fans. Avoid the negative push back from having to eventually buyout a guy you signed to a big contract. Drop 2 contracts for 1 for expansion reasons. Gamble with upside, but not a gamble that is too significant.

All would depend on Ottawa's financial situation, which is pretty tight right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille