Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah at this point I might call the young guys the "core".

The young guys would need to start playing like it consistently, to be considered the core. As it stand; Koivu, Parise and Suter were still our 3 leading scorers, and more or less responsible for the direction the team.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The young guys would need to start playing like it consistently, to be considered the core. As it stand; Koivu, Parise and Suter were still our 3 leading scorers, and more or less responsible for the direction the team.

Yeah that's the trouble at this point, the new "core" just isn't good enough to really be called that at this point whether they should be or not. And I think we're far enough in where they should be.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Yeah that's the trouble at this point, the new "core" just isn't good enough to really be called that at this point whether they should be or not. And I think we're far enough in where they should be.

Couldn't our "core" be the 22-26 year olds, and the 30+ year olds just become supplements to that? I guess it all depends on what the mid-20 year olds actually are as players. That's why I kind of want to stand pat for this year, and see what Coyle and Granlund are under Boudreau, and what Brodin and Dumba are under Stevens.

You all make some great points and I absolutely agree with you. The issue right now is that, yes, the core is 9-11-20-29 at this point. 26-3-22-25-46-6 would certainly be the supplemental group of guys as of right now. The rest, I feel, are trying to figure out where they should be in the lineup. I think some will make great strides this year (I hope) and see the difference.

As DJI said, I believe Stevens will do wonders for the D and helping players like Dumba, Reilly and Brodin find their way. I think Boudreau will finally get Granlund, Haula, Nino and Coyle to hit a different gear all together.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You all make some great points and I absolutely agree with you. The issue right now is that, yes, the core is 9-11-20-29 at this point. 26-3-22-25-46-6 would certainly be the supplemental group of guys as of right now. The rest, I feel, are trying to figure out where they should be in the lineup. I think some will make great strides this year (I hope) and see the difference.

As DJI said, I believe Stevens will do wonders for the D and helping players like Dumba, Reilly and Brodin find their way. I think Boudreau will finally get Granlund, Haula, Nino and Coyle to hit a different gear all together.

The only one of the young FWD's I'm concerned about is Granny. He's looked amazing on the bigger international ice the last few years. Played his best NHL games in the Playoffs this year as a wing (small subset).

The NHL has really seemed too fast for him a lot of the time. Was he misused, didn't fit Yoe's system, has the NHL game not slowed down for him (he seemed totally lost at times playing the halfwall on the PP)? He's the biggest unknown for me going into the season. How well, and where, will he fit in BB's heavier physical game.

I do think a Granny/Koivu/Vanek line could be something. (best hands on the team)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not concerned about Granlund. He plays big in big games. How is that a bad thing?

After wanting him at center for years, I have converted. He is just so much more dangerous on the wing, and the Wild need more of that.

Zucker is definitely the troublesome one for me. Not sure the hockey IQ is there.

Hockeyleef

Jun 13, 2016
Minnesota
Going to be an active summer. Here are my predictions:

Scandella for Bjugstad will happen. Their cap hits are almost identical. A prospect of some sort will likely be included from MN (better not be the Russian!). The deal may grow to include Vanek for Bolland. This creates cap space for us, as we'll be able to put Bolland on LTIR. FL benefits from an offensive player with only 1 year remaining on their contract.

Obviously, Kuemper is traded -probably for a third round pick, or something where we get a 2nd, but give up somethins minor.

Granlund will be traded for a 1st round pick. My guess is to Carolina or New Jersey. This has to be done for a few reasons. There are immediate cap benefits. Second -and more importantly- Koivu, Pommer, Parise, Nino, Coyle, Haula and Bjugstad (yes, I'm including him) will have to be protected. Granlund at center has failed to yield what we want and Granny is coming of a great World Championships and good playoffs. He will be at his peak value now.

GMCF will likely combine the 2 first round picks to move up to spots 3-6.

For those that question Bjugstad as a target, he's young, has size and is an elite sniper. We've craved a shooter at the center position for some time. He's it. He isn't currently a #1C, but there simply isn't one available who doesn't have some questions surrounding their ability to be a #1C. IMO, RNH is reasonable, as well, but they'd have to keep some of that salary. And Stepan...why? As noted earlier, he's expensive, bad at faceoffs, not big and isn't any more of a scorer than Koivu. Limited upside...

Those are my predictions... Some may view them as crazy, but some of the others I've seen on this site are astonishing in their delusion. These certainly don't rise to that level. :)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not concerned about Granlund. He plays big in big games. How is that a bad thing?

After wanting him at center for years, I have converted. He is just so much more dangerous on the wing, and the Wild need more of that.

Zucker is definitely the troublesome one for me. Not sure the hockey IQ is there.

I think it's there somewhere. It just got rattled around and misplaced after the outdoor game.

Concerned was bad wording by me. Unknown might have been a better word. I never really wanted Granny at centre, but not like there was many better options.

Was hoping Coyle would have stepped it up this year in the playoffs, like he did 2 years ago.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He also needs to not be on a line with Parise and Pominville then. I would love to see Granlund with Koivu and get someone to play on the opposite wing.

Nino would seem to be the obvious choice there, but if they are going to trade for a shoot-first player with some skill... Yakupov could be a great fit if he's cheap enough. He can thrive with a center like Koivu - as he did with Horcoff and Derek Roy.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Nino would seem to be the obvious choice there, but if they are going to trade for a shoot-first player with some skill... Yakupov could be a great fit if he's cheap enough. He can thrive with a center like Koivu - as he did with Horcoff and Derek Roy.
I'd do Zucker for Yak. That's about it.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Zucker for Yakupov straight up could be a great "change of scenery" deal for both teams. Luckily, it's not up to fans, who overvalue Yak merely because of his draft status while simultaneously complaining about how worthless he is :laugh:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Zucker for Yakupov straight up could be a great "change of scenery" deal for both teams. Luckily, it's not up to fans, who overvalue Yak merely because of his draft status while simultaneously complaining about how worthless he is :laugh:

Zucker isn't exactly a plum of a player compared to Yakupov, so we can't complain.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Does that mean his fiance would have to quit FSN since they get married this month

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Just a random thought... I really don't know what to think about trading with Edmonton.
At first look it appears that we are compatible trading partners.
But upon further examination I worry about the character of their players.

I want to believe that possibly acquiring an Eberle or Yakupov would be a positive move for the Wild...

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Just a random thought... I really don't know what to think about trading with Edmonton.
At first look it appears that we are compatible trading partners.
But upon further examination I worry about the character of their players.

I want to believe that possibly acquiring an Eberle or Yakupov would be a positive move for the Wild...

An understandable concern. I have heard rumblings though that Yak actually never "fit in" up there because the other kids were all hard partiers and he wasn't. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah it's kind of funny that Zucker is an asset for us because he's from Vegas. Who would have thought that could be useful at some point lol. Might be able to save our defensive corps because Vegas wants a hometown kid that they can use as a poster guy.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Or we sit on Zucker, and Vegas doesn't give a rat's behind that he lived there before. It's not like he'd be Patrick Kane coming home to the Buffalo Sabres (before all the rape allegations).

I wouldn't put Zucker in the untouchable category. He might have more value to other teams for the same reasoning.

I'm starting to think that draft picks will be more valuable for the next few years with another potential expansion team looming.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
An understandable concern. I have heard rumblings though that Yak actually never "fit in" up there because the other kids were all hard partiers and he wasn't. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

Is it just me or does anyone feel like Edmonton will sell low on a player while the rest of the league would say 'hmm, I would've been willing to give up only that'.

Then subsequently Eberle or Yakupov, (maybe even RNH) do quite well on their new team?

Ahhh, probably just thinking too much about this *shrugs*.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is it just me or does anyone feel like Edmonton will sell low on a player while the rest of the league would say 'hmm, I would've been willing to give up only that'.

Then subsequently Eberle or Yakupov, (maybe even RNH) do quite well on their new team?

Ahhh, probably just thinking too much about this *shrugs*.

I can see a few teams doing this (Wild included). I can see more teams trading for prospects. The cap will play a big roll this year if it's lower than expected, or possibly even less than this year if the escrow escalator isn't used (unlikely).

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Our core is Koivu Parise Suter. If they really flame out early, we'll go full rebuild. Our current youngsters just aren't that good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad