Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Brodin for Edmonton's 1st. Keep the tank going. Profit on two top 10 picks and hope one of them gets top 5.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
If we did that trade EDM might finish above us.

True, but you have to think they'd entertain it at this point, right? I mean they have to have narrowed down by this point exactly what is wrong with their team: no young-yet-NHL-vet top 2 defensemen. After ten damn years of finishing ultra-low and then picking the best offensive stud available, you really have to think they'd say enough is enough and be willing to NOT pick in the top 5 this year just to get that defensive help. Right?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
True, but you have to think they'd entertain it at this point, right? I mean they have to have narrowed down by this point exactly what is wrong with their team: no young-yet-NHL-vet top 2 defensemen. After ten damn years of finishing ultra-low and then picking the best offensive stud available, you really have to think they'd say enough is enough and be willing to NOT pick in the top 5 this year just to get that defensive help. Right?

They invested a lot in Griffin Reinhart (probably way too much) but that investment probably means they're not looking to expend assets for another not-established player.

Sekera-Klefbom-Nurse-Reinhart-Davidson is their core now. Why would the Oilers give up a substantial asset for a guy who isn't immediately the best player in that group?

There are plenty of RFA options who might shake loose and be available this summer. If not, adding a guy like Goligoski or Quincey or Carl Gunnarsson or Braydon Coburn for mere dollars is a much more reasonable course of action than trading away a top young player with a priceless skill set on a cheap salary for another maybe.

The Oilers sure might trade Yakupov or Eberle in the next weeks, but more likely Mark Fayne, Teddy Purcell or Lauri Korpikoski.

It's not hard to look at depth charts and salary charts and come up with realistic trades.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I'm genuinely feeling a Staal acquisition in the near future. It doesn't make me feel good unless some magic happens and CAR takes back Pominville.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm genuinely feeling a Staal acquisition in the near future. It doesn't make me feel good unless some magic happens and CAR takes back Pominville.

This is interesting. Reminds me of the Doug Weight trade in 2006. St. Louis got two AHL-type players with upside (Boulerice and Zigomanis), a 1st, 2 4ths, a prospect who didn't really pan out (Magnus Kahnberg - still playing in the SHL though) in exchange for Weight and a prospect who similarly failed to pan out in the NHL (Erkki Rajamäki - definitely had a Liiga career).

Weight helped Carolina win a Cup and then re-signed with St. Louis.

Eric Staal would be a very helpful player for the Wild, but how much could you give up? Is he worth JEE, if you thought he would be the difference between missing the playoffs and losing in the Conference Final?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is interesting. Reminds me of the Doug Weight trade in 2006. St. Louis got two AHL-type players with upside (Boulerice and Zigomanis), a 1st, 2 4ths, a prospect who didn't really pan out (Magnus Kahnberg - still playing in the SHL though) in exchange for Weight and a prospect who similarly failed to pan out in the NHL (Erkki Rajamäki - definitely had a Liiga career).

Weight helped Carolina win a Cup and then re-signed with St. Louis.

Eric Staal would be a very helpful player for the Wild, but how much could you give up? Is he worth JEE, if you thought he would be the difference between missing the playoffs and losing in the Conference Final?

Half a year of Staal for 10 years of JEE is not worth it n any scenario except one where we're already a cup favorite and Staal pushes us over the edge.

Does that scenario sound like the position we're in at the moment?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Half a year of Staal for 10 years of JEE is not worth it n any scenario except one where we're already a cup favorite and Staal pushes us over the edge.

Does that scenario sound like the position we're in at the moment?

Nope, and I don't make the trades. But as I've said, it's a narrow window for this group - CF included - and desperate times produce desperate measures.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nope, and I don't make the trades. But as I've said, it's a narrow window for this group - CF included - and desperate times produce desperate measures.

It's only a narrow window if we keep trading away prospects like JEE for rentals like Staal.

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Do pretty much whatever it takes to get in the top 3.

Brodin and ?? for a Buff/Edm 1st.

Wild keep tanking to be in the top 10, potentially top 5.

Dish Vanek to any team willing, Florida?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
so apparently phaeneuf is on the market. So im not saying id do this, but i want to know thoughts. Would you guys entertain a deal involving brodin pomminville for something with phaeneuf and marner/nylander?

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
so apparently phaeneuf is on the market. So im not saying id do this, but i want to know thoughts. Would you guys entertain a deal involving brodin pomminville for something with phaeneuf and marner/nylander?

Toronto has been in search of a 1st line center not named Mats Sundin for decades. I can't see them giving up either Nylander or Marner, especially for a D-man centered return.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Toronto has been in search of a 1st line center not named Mats Sundin for decades. I can't see them giving up either Nylander or Marner, especially for a D-man centered return.

doesnt matter anyways. Ott-tor just made a 9 player deal.... must be nice being able to make trades involving 9 players... id be happy with a 2 player trade right now.:help:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If it were for Jordan Staal, I would be okay with it. Not for anyone like Coyle or Nino, but I would entertain the idea of a pretty damn good center who was a good piece to Pitt's SC coming here.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why couldnt we have Babs and Lou here :cry::cry::cry:

Because as much as Leipold wants to win he doesn't have the money that the Maple Leafs do. Babcock is almost getting paid as much as Koivu.

Plus they both have archaic styles that don't mesh well with a team full of young players like we have. You think you hate Yeo for favoring vets over young players? He merely adopted it. Babcock and Lamoriello were born in it, molded by it.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
If it were for Jordan Staal, I would be okay with it. Not for anyone like Coyle or Nino, but I would entertain the idea of a pretty damn good center who was a good piece to Pitt's SC coming here.

Ish no! Bad! Jordan Staal and his contract is far worse than Eric Staal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad