Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spooner continues to do well in Boston, but they have two other excellent C's that aren't going anywhere. They MIGHT be amenable to trading for an injured Brodin, as I don't think they are worried about competing this year.

Spooner's low cap # next year is attractive, as opposed to RNH's 6M. I also trust a player coming from the Boston system more than I do a player coming from EDM.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Spooner continues to do well in Boston, but they have two other excellent C's that aren't going anywhere. They MIGHT be amenable to trading for an injured Brodin, as I don't think they are worried about competing this year.

Spooner's low cap # next year is attractive, as opposed to RNH's 6M. I also trust a player coming from the Boston system more than I do a player coming from EDM.

currently tied for home ice in first round and 8 points out of first

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I like Jonas Brodin. But please give me a list of teams that would trade for a non-offensive defenseman who is not good at breakouts, loses physical battles, relies a ton on his skating but now has a broken bone in his foot, and whose cap hit goes up over 4 million dollars next season?

His best 3-year player comp on hockey-reference right now is... Justin Schultz, followed by Danny DeKeyser.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
The Kings waived Ehrhoff:

http://www.sport1.de/us-sport/nhl/2...-steht-vor-abschied-von-den-los-angeles-kings

Thoughts? Seems like he's lost a step or five, but could be a good stopgap for the end of the season while we hemorrhage defensemen. I'd still rather give Reilly/Olofsson the minutes, but you know Yeo/Fletch feel about rookies.

EDIT: Should mention too, he'd be making basically Prosser money for the rest of the season.

Here's the Hockey Wilderness take on it:

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/201...im-waivers-los-angeles-defense-brodin-prosser

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Jonas Brodin. But please give me a list of teams that would trade for a non-offensive defenseman who is not good at breakouts, loses physical battles, relies a ton on his skating but now has a broken bone in his foot, and whose cap hit goes up over 4 million dollars next season?

His best 3-year player comp on hockey-reference right now is... Justin Schultz, followed by Danny DeKeyser.

Not good at breakouts? Loses physical battles? WTH are you talking about?

His cap hit goes up next season? What are you talking about?

You're saying he is a comparable player to Schultz? Again, what are you talking about?

Boston is desperate for D. We have D.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Not good at breakouts? Loses physical battles? WTH are you talking about?

His cap hit goes up next season? What are you talking about?

You're saying he is a comparable player to Schultz? Again, what are you talking about?

Boston is desperate for D. We have D.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/brodijo01.html

Scroll to the bottom for the player comps: it's an interesting, not necessarily dispositive, tool for thinking about a player - particularly in the trade context. He is a far superior defender to Schultz, but the lack of points is probably concerning to others.

I don't value Brodin as a puck-handler. He makes the right pass most of the time, I'll give him that. I don't think much of his physical game. Like Spurgeon he uses positioning to win the puck, but I doubt most coaches want him being the guy in front who has to clear Wayne Simmonds out of the way.

The cap hit is significant now, and at over 4 million next season, it will give some teams pause since they don't probably know much about him.

As usual my main point is that the idea of getting Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for Brodin is a delusion. If I'm wrong I will host a happy hour somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad