Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Yes, let's trade a top-4 defenseman and a prospect for... Another prospect.

hqdefault.jpg

Matthews would be a prospect unlike the Wild have ever had. He's not some huge unknown, guy is tearing it up in a men's league right now.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Matthews would be a prospect unlike the Wild have ever had. He's not some huge unknown, guy is tearing it up in a men's league right now.

Plenty of players tear up Europe, yet fail to make an impact at the NHL level.

I'm not saying Matthews will or won't - But he's hardly a sure thing.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Plenty of players tear up Europe, yet fail to make an impact at the NHL level.

I'm not saying Matthews will or won't - But he's hardly a sure thing.

Goal/game in WJC, over a point/game in the NLA, 2nd in that league in goals even though he missed 14 games, broke Patrick Kane's USDP scoring record by 14 points (116 points in 60 games), is 6'2", is not Russian.

I mean statistically there's a good chance that JEE doesn't even make an impact in the NHL. The trade would be a calculated risk, but Matthews has no red flags and has been elite at every level he's played at.

I doubt the team that gets the #1 overall pick would trade it for Brodin+JEE, though.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm just scared of moving a good player only to have him really take off when under a coach that actually encourages a little freedom, creativity, and knows how to put the player in the best position to be successful.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I'm just scared of moving a good player only to have him really take off when under a coach that actually encourages a little freedom, creativity, and knows how to put the player in the best position to be successful.

I feel that with every young forwards. Not the old guys. I especially feel that with Nino, Zucker, and Granlund.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Our first step before trading any youngster or prospect is to fire Yeo. Its amazing how much our young guys have stagnated and I'm sure the mid season tar fire that this team becomes doesn't nothing to help them grow.

As far as Matthews, he probably will be a stud but no team who has the #1 pick will trade him unless they get a kings ransom.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Some things about Matthews: a few days older and he would have been drafted in 2015. Already had a back injury. NLA is not as good as SHL or Liiga.

Some scouts certainly have Laine ahead of him.

Doubt the Wild will be confronted with that particular decision but it's possible.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Some things about Matthews: a few days older and he would have been drafted in 2015. Already had a back injury. NLA is not as good as SHL or Liiga.

Some scouts certainly have Laine ahead of him.

Doubt the Wild will be confronted with that particular decision but it's possible.

Fair enough. However, my opinion of Liiga has gone down a tick considering Granlund rocked it up over there and has never found his game in the NHL.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Fair enough. However, my opinion of Liiga has gone down a tick considering Granlund rocked it up over there and has never found his game in the NHL.

Granlund is always pure gold on the big ice. See: Sochi 2014.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If the NHL started using Olympic sized ice, Granlund would be a top 20 point scorer in the NHL.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
There's not a lot on this team I wouldn't give up to get Laine and Jost in this draft. Obviously 2 of Laine, Pulju and Matthews would be the best thing but Jost is going to be an absolute monster in this league and Laine is the goal scorer we've so desperately needed. Jost and Laine could very easily make the big squad directly out of the draft. Although I believe Jost will do 1 year at NoDak.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

See: Lemaire, Jacques, Richards, Todd...

Seems like every coach Minnesota has had has stifled creativity.

Also Fletcher is as much to blame about putting players in the best position to be successful. With Fletcher running the team and Yeo coaching it, none of the young players will be able to do jack

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
could we flip this at the draft or something similar? (Just brainstorming spent about 30 seconds thinking about value before you start screaming)

Detroit gets- Brodin + Nino
MIN gets - 1st + Nyquist +?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
could we flip this at the draft or something similar? (Just brainstorming spent about 30 seconds thinking about value before you start screaming)

Detroit gets- Brodin + Nino
MIN gets - 1st + Nyquist +?

Unless it is Larkin coming back from Detroit...I am not interested.

Value is terrible there btw ;).

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Unless it is Larkin coming back from Detroit...I am not interested.

Value is terrible there btw ;).

Det can just add in something to sweeten the pot and I'd do that lol. the question being, is Detroit willing to throw back another pick because I wouldn't see this hurting the wild too bad. yes we'd miss brodin but if a young guy can step in like olofsson or reilly, then we'd have two first's this year which is huge. We'd also see a better scorer in nyquist which is probably why Detroit wouldn't do this deal. I did see Nyquist had a NTC on his last two years of his contract.

brodin+Nino+ (wild late pick if needed)
1st+nyquist+2nd?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Det can just add in something to sweeten the pot and I'd do that lol. the question being, is Detroit willing to throw back another pick because I wouldn't see this hurting the wild too bad. yes we'd miss brodin but if a young guy can step in like olofsson or reilly, then we'd have two first's this year which is huge. Who knows if Detroit is even interested. I did see Nyquist had a NTC on his last two years of his contract.

brodin+Nino+ (wild late pick if needed)
1st+nyquist+2nd or 3rd?

If we're trading Brodin and Nino I hope to god it's for more than Nyquist and a late 1st, add as many 2nd and 3rds as you want, quantity is not quality. I like Nyquist but that's a bad trade for us.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We will make the playoffs. If we are only 2 points out of a spot with 3 games in hand after 1 win in 12 games we will make the playoffs. We will hit our hot streak just in time, again.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I guess I just had the thought that :

brodin = nyquist
nino essentially =1st (bc nino is not doing too hot. if this pick can turn into a asplund/tufte/kunin/brown the risk might be worth it. )

det adds another pick or whatnot and we get a hopeful player in the 2nd which we need, like steel/bitten/grundstrom/day.

I don't see nino breaking out
I see brodin as replaceable
and we get back a couple extra picks CF has traded away. just my opinion

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I guess I just had the thought that :

brodin = nyquist
nino essentially =1st (bc nino is not doing too hot. if this pick can turn into a asplund/tufte/kunin/brown the risk might be worth it. )

det adds another pick or whatnot and we get a hopeful player in the 2nd which we need, like steel/bitten/grundstrom/day.

I don't see nino breaking out
I see brodin as replaceable
and we get back a couple extra picks CF has traded away. just my opinion

Consider this - Brodin was the center piece in our offer for RyJo...and we almost got him.

RyJo >>>>>>> Nyquist.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nyquist is a no-go. I'd prefer if we go after a RW that they actually be right handed. Also we really shouldn't trade Nino for picks. 24 goal scorer just a year ago. Players have bad years, it happens. If Brodin is traded it'll be for someone like RNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille