Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It's fun talking about things that'll never, ever happen. We can all feel smart because we'll never find out if we're wrong.

Aaah, okay. THAT it is.
And I thought you're trying to catch up with the finns celebrating midsummer while posting on some boards.

At least I feel drunk after reading everything written over night...

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What do you guys think of Turris for Brodin? An Ottawa fan suggested it on HF Senators when I asked about Zibanejad. I think it was discussed before and would be a good trade.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
What do you guys think of Turris for Brodin? An Ottawa fan suggested it on HF Senators when I asked about Zibanejad. I think it was discussed before and would be a good trade.

No thanks, dont want to give up Brodin unless we get a massive upgrade ala Mackinnon or something back.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No thanks, dont want to give up Brodin unless we get a massive upgrade ala Mackinnon or something back.

Turris is a 20+ goal 60+pt center who's signed at a ridiculously low $3.5m for the next three seasons. He played college hockey at Wisconsin (albeit one roller coaster of a year) so he's familiar with the area and I'd bet he'd sign long term after the three years are up. He's only 25. He draws at 50.1% which is better than Granlund, Coyle, Brodziak, and Haula. He'd be top 3 on our team in Corsi/60. Defensively, he's pretty solid.

People say yes to RNH straight up well Turris put up more points, is signed cheaper, and has experience being a playoff team's 1C.

Parise-Turris-Pominville
Zucker-Granlund-Nino (kid line unite!)
Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Haula-Graovac-Schroeder

Suter-Dumba (we have to trust Dumba's development #faith)
Scandella-Spurgeon
Olofsson-Folin

Dubnyk
Kuemper

Last edited:

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Gosh DigitalBooya, you're really into trade scenarios.
I decided to take a peek at Hf Sens myself, and well, ONE poster said he'd do Turris for Brodin straight up, however... the general sentiment is much like we discussed a couple days ago:

The Sens would be very weak in their top 6, not to mention their center depth would take a huge hit. And while, yes, I would actually entertain a Brodin for Turris swap, I can (in no way imaginable) see how the Sens would actually complete that deal.
They would somehow have to find a way to bring in another top-6 forward (preferably a center) to even replace the 60+ points Turris throws up.

Really its simple mathematics. Brodin puts up 15-20+ points a season. Turris puts up 60+ points. That's a HUGE difference no matter how you look at it.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You'd say no that? That was an extreme low-ball offer. OEL is the best player in the trade and we are giving up two draft picks compared to receiving one. Has nothing to do with rebuilding. It's the 1C we are after that's sitting there at #3.

I'm just getting tired of seeing trades that are absolutely never happening.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gosh DigitalBooya, you're really into trade scenarios.
I like thinking of ideas that could improve our team. They'll never happen but it's fun for me even if I get blasted along the way and myself and others get to learn the value of other team's players.
MyWhipFlexShot said:
I decided to take a peek at Hf Sens myself, and well, ONE poster said he'd do Turris for Brodin straight up, however... the general sentiment is much like we discussed a couple days ago:

The Sens would be very weak in their top 6, not to mention their center depth would take a huge hit. And while, yes, I would actually entertain a Brodin for Turris swap, I can (in no way imaginable) see how the Sens would actually complete that deal.
They would somehow have to find a way to bring in another top-6 forward (preferably a center) to even replace the 60+ points Turris throws up.

Really its simple mathematics. Brodin puts up 15-20+ points a season. Turris puts up 60+ points. That's a HUGE difference no matter how you look at it.
Take a peak at the main boards.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Ok, I went to the main boards, found this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1915001

...And immediately noticed that the ONE sens poster who immediately offered Turris for Brodin straight up then subsequently starts requesting either Granlund or Koivu in subsequent posts.
Look, it's not that Turris for Brodin is the worst idea, it's just that it has such a large condition placed on it that either we send a forward back, or that the Sens acquire a forward in another trade (which could be entirely possible, don't get me wrong).

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok, I went to the main boards, found this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1915001

...And immediately noticed that the ONE sens poster who immediately offered Turris for Brodin straight up then subsequently starts requesting either Granlund or Koivu in subsequent posts.
Look, it's not that Turris for Brodin is the worst idea, it's just that it has such a large condition placed on it that either we send a forward back, or that the Sens acquire a forward in another trade (which could be entirely possible, don't get me wrong).

I'd do Brodin+Koivu+#50 for Turris+#18+Lehner+Dzingel. Not sure if Ottawa fans would but it's a trade that can be ironed out.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I like thinking of ideas that could improve our team. They'll never happen but it's fun for me even if I get blasted along the way and myself and others get to learn the value of other team's players.

I'm not here to blast you... I get it's the off-season and well, like most off-seasons, the fans and the front office are out to see how we can improve the team.
I get it.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I'd do Brodin+Koivu+#50 for Turris+#18+Lehner+Dzingel. Not sure if Ottawa fans would but it's a trade that can be ironed out.

Well, atleast this trade sends a forward back to Ottawa that they would need. I do think that we would be asking a lot of Haula and Dumba as the 3C and #1 RD but risk is risk I suppose.

Here's something I proposed roughly a week ago, and I then asked Flyers fans about it...

Spurgeon for Brayden Schenn straight up. I then got some responses where they would prefer Dumba, one would actually take the trade, one wanted Niederreiter (Nty), and another ventured that we may have to add our 2nd to Spurgeon.

Here's why I like that deal:

#1 it doesn't throw Dumba immediately into our first pairing.
#2 Our center depth with Koivu-Granlund-Schenn would be impressive.
#3 As of this moment, Schenn and Spurgeon's cap hits nearly cancel each other out, HOWEVER, we would have to worry about an extension for Schenn (he's an RFA just like Spurgeon after this upcoming season).
#4 Schenn has scored 20 goals, and in my opinion (yes this is subjective), I believe he could be a 30-30 center.
#5 we are dealing from our relative position of strength (defense).

Granted, this isn't your flashy #1C, but it does improve our depth, doesn't blow a huge hole in our defense, and keeps our cap hit equal for this next season.

Edit: Not to mention, The Flyers would maintain a strong group of Centers in Giroux, Couterier, Laughton, and Lecavalier (who has a NMC).

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Namestnikov (+ 5th, whatever) for Spurgeon deal is somewhat appealing to me, but still I'd like to keep Spurgeon too. I don't know, it might just be too early to change up things too much. Unless a real Niederreiter-case pops up where we could possibly send Coyle and a mid pick for Galchenyuk, we should hold still.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Namestnikov (+ 5th, whatever) for Spurgeon deal is somewhat appealing to me, but still I'd like to keep Spurgeon too. I don't know, it might just be too early to change up things too much. Unless a real Niederreiter-case pops up where we could possibly send Coyle and a mid pick for Galchenyuk, we should hold still.

I agree. Although losing Spurgeon might be tolerated and Namestnikov could be good addition to centre. He might be the best center on this team. Win some lose some I quess :dunno:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Spurgeon for Schenn. Hmmm I like that deal and he fits right into the age group of Coyle/Nino/Granlund. I'd do it.

Yes he is :laugh::popcorn:
I'll forever be known as the "what if" guy. I'll rock it! :yo::sarcasm:

Namestnikov is another good option for Spurgeon. I don't think Montreal ever, no matter how bad the contract talks get, trades Galchenyuk for Coyle+pick. What a potential disaster that could be for them especially when they traded McDonut not to long ago and that blew up in their face. Not to mention we wouldn't have the cap to sign him.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Spurgeon for Schenn. Hmmm I like that deal and he fits right into the age group of Coyle/Nino/Granlund. I'd do it.

I'll forever be known as the "what if" guy. I'll rock it! :yo::sarcasm:

Namestnikov is another good option for Spurgeon. I don't think Montreal ever, no matter how bad the contract talks get, trades Galchenyuk for Coyle+pick. What a potential disaster that could be for them especially when they traded McDonut not to long ago and that blew up in their face. Not to mention we wouldn't have the cap to sign him.
Dumba and Kuemper for Yak. Flip Yak to Montreal for Gal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What would you guys be willing to trade to move up to the 3OA pick?

Not a whole lot. I'm not a big Strome fan and Hanifin, who I think will become a very, very good defenseman, he isn't a necessity. So it's the idea of giving up 2-4 high level assets for Marner, which I don't think is a smart move at this time.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Brodin+20 for Couture+2016 Avs 2nd has been proposed. Thoughts?

I think that's the best offer for a 1c that I've seen. I'd probably do it though I understand why people are against trading brodin regardless of the return.

I think the decision to trade brodin depends on how you feel about a few things. First, how long will suter be a #1? If we trade brodin, do we become a cup team before suter isn't a #1? My opinion is yes, with couture. Will dumba become a 2? Personally, I think dumba will become the perfect partner for an aging suter. Is our young core good enough to carry us in 4+ years? Finally, how do you feel about brodin topping out? I think he'll be similar to vlasic, but if he comes around offensively he will be amazing. I'd also remind people that losing brodin does free up room to keep spurgie.

Tough questions but I hope our front office is at least thinking about it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is it generally assumed and accepted that Thornton and/or Pavelski are holding Couture back? In other words, if he comes here and takes over all of the #1C duties (ES, PP), is he a PPG player? Or are we getting the same mid-60's production?

Because if there is a hidden 80+ point player in there, then my opinion could very well change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad