Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Two can play at that game: RNH could turn into a top 5 center in his prime without Eakins as his coach.

Just as likely as Brodin becoming prime Suter

Suter is a prime Suter and IS a top 5-10 D-man in the league right NOW. Thus Suter for RNH alone is not enough in return.

Like I said, you're proposing deals for RNH like he's someone he's not.

Brodin for RNH straight up is better than what you offered, and I'd actually say yes to that.

That bumps Coyle to RW, Koivu to the 3rd line.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't disagree that Suter and Brodin can be a bit redundant together... but that doesn't decrease Suter's value either.

Suter for Malkin would be ideal in a 1 for 1... Suter for Seguin, Suter for Kopitar...

Suter for RNH is shooting too low value-wise. Edmonton needs to add a prospect and a pick.

Suter would never get those players. On the decline Suter is totally worth RNH especially with Brodin.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
In a salary cap world, you have to always think of BOTH the present and the future.

As for Suter for RNH, I may accept that, as that helps us in a place of need now, while also getting younger to help the future too. I'd expect we would get more than just RNH in return though. Suter >>> RNH

Top 5-10 D-man in the league is worth more than just RNH. Add a prospect and pick?
RNH might actually be worth more than Suter.

And the PR hit would suck, but I would actually trade Suter for RNH pretty quickly.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Suter is a prime Suter and IS a top 5-10 D-man in the league right NOW. Thus Suter for RNH alone is not enough in return.

Like I said, you're proposing deals for RNH like he's someone he's not.

Brodin for RNH straight up is better than what you offered, and I'd actually say yes to that.

That bumps Coyle to RW, Koivu to the 3rd line.
What about Suter was top 10 this year? His lackluster defensive play? His mooching points off the PP? The way he gets away with interference all the time because of his name? His breakout pass is the only thing that stayed constant from last year to this year. Go ahead and blame it on his dad dying or having the mumps. Everything I said is true.

You just went back on what you said. You just said you'd do the deal if it was RNH for Brodin. This whole conversation has been Brodin vs RNH. Had nothing to do with Granlund.

Koivu on the 3rd line and Coyle playing RW is a freaking DREAM scenario IMO.
Or maybe people just don't like RNH as much as you do.
That's fine but they'd be hypocrites if they turn around and say Brodin's potential is what makes him super valuable. RNH puts up numbers. Don't blame his team's lack of success on him when they have the WORST defense in the NHL and a goalie who played on par with Backstrom's numbers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What about Suter was top 10 this year? His lackluster defensive play? His mooching points off the PP? The way he gets away with interference all the time because of his name? His breakout pass is the only thing that stayed constant from last year to this year. Go ahead and blame it on his dad dying or having the mumps. Everything I said is true.

You just went back on what you said. You just said you'd do the deal if it was RNH for Brodin. This whole conversation has been Brodin vs RNH. Had nothing to do with Granlund.

That's fine but they'd be hypocrites if they turn around and say Brodin's potential is what makes him super valuable. RNH puts up numbers. Don't blame his team's lack of success on him when they have the WORST defense in the NHL and a goalie who played on par with Backstrom's numbers.
Absolutely disagree... this whole situation for me has been about whether or not RNH is a significant upgrade over Granlund. I have talked about that from the first moment I saw it even on the trade board.

NEVER was Brodin for RNH straight up listed as an option... always Brodin, 1st and Granlund/Coyle... which I would say "No" to every time.

Yes RNH puts up ok numbers... but those numbers would not be as high without guys like Hall to play with and in a more restrictive system... he'd look like Granlund.

Brodin is a proven top pairing D-man already and carrys the value as such already and still has potential just as RNH does.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You overvalue RNH.

Brodin=RNH in value IMO.
Except our needs are at 1C so Brodin=<RNH, especially with Spurgeon, Dumba, and Folin ready to pick up the slack....
RNH might actually be worth more than Suter.

And the PR hit would suck, but I would actually trade Suter for RNH pretty quickly.
If only Suter didn't have a NMC and potential cap recapture.
I don't see it that way even remotely. Edmonton adds a pick and prospect and sure.

Suter for RNH+#33+Yakimov? What are you looking at?

Killerjug

Feb 21, 2013

you're the one saying that he has WAY more potential than Brodin

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Absolutely disagree... this whole situation for me has been about whether or not RNH is a significant upgrade over Granlund. I have talked about that from the first moment I saw it even on the trade board.

NEVER was Brodin for RNH straight up listed as an option... always Brodin, 1st and Granlund/Coyle... which I would say "No" to every time.

Yes RNH puts up ok numbers... but those numbers would not be as high without guys like Hall to play with and in a more restrictive system... he'd look like Granlund.

Brodin is a proven top pairing D-man already and carrys the value as such already and still has potential just as RNH does.
Conversation starter with me:
Haven't you been paying attention? Wild posters on here wouldn't trade Brodin for Nugent-Hopkins which is absurd to me given our depth at RD and our need at top C. They have it in their mind that he's already Lidstrom. I don't see it or at least not yet(to be fair to those that do).
Hall was injured for a huge chunk of the season and put up less goals than Zucker.
It's fun talking about things that'll never, ever happen. We can all feel smart because we'll never find out if we're wrong.
It's a trade thread, what do you expect to happen?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Except our needs are at 1C so Brodin=<RNH, especially with Spurgeon, Dumba, and Folin ready to pick up the slack....

If only Suter didn't have a NMC and potential cap recapture.

Suter for RNH+#33+Yakimov? What are you looking at?

Just because we have needs elsewhere doesn't decrease Suter's trade value. You try to maximize value of EVERY asset you trade away... you don't say "Oh, we need a center more, so let's trade away a top 5-10 D-man for a top 30 center" and be happy.

Get anything and everything you can every chance you can... turn a Cal Clutterbuck into Nino Neiderreiter instead of a bag of pucks.

As for what Edmonton adds... I haven't looked in depth... so I wasn't "looking at" anything, was just looking at the value and speculating purely on the surface.

Killerjug

Feb 21, 2013
RNH has more value than Brodin. Simple as that. If you need a link to the poll between the two I can go find it.

that's fine and he might have a little more value but who is going to win that poll an offensive centermen or a defensive defensemen seems pretty obvious to me. I wouldn't add anything to Brodin to get RNH, straight up or no thank you

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
RNH has more value than Brodin. Simple as that. If you need a link to the poll between the two I can go find it.
A poll on a messageboard says nothing about how people value different players differently.

That poll would have been a landslide in favor of Nino over Clutterbuck... yet that was the crux of a trade that went down too.

I'll take my personal opinion over mob-messageboard fanboy opinion anyday.

that's fine and he might have a little more value but who is going to win that poll an offensive centermen or a defensive defensemen seems pretty obvious to me. I wouldn't add anything to Brodin to get RNH, straight up or no thank you
Exactly.

Killerjug

Feb 21, 2013
A poll on a messageboard says nothing about how people value different players differently.

That poll would have been a landslide in favor of Nino over Clutterbuck... yet that was the crux of a trade that went down too.

Exactly.

Thank you

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Before either of you guys get too carried away here's a quote from the poll between RNH and Brodin
Digitalbooya said:
1st line point producer vs 1st pairing shut down D. Gee I wonder who's gonna win.

This whole conversation has been Brodin vs RNH. I didn't say anything about other pieces. It's my opinion that Edmonton needs a proper 1st pairing shutdown dman (Brodin) and we need a 1C with 25+ goal scoring potential (RNH).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Conversation starter with me:
Here's how it played out from my perspective...

Brodin, Granlund/Coyle and a 1st could potentially get you that top center!

Oh how Johansen would be perfect! Great chemistry with Nino, throw Zucker on the wing and that line is deadly.

Dreaming! :yo:

No, I wouldn't do it. Too expensive. I'd rather keep Brodin and watch Granlund progress further as a player, whilst also adding a skilled forward to our prospect pool, which is severely lacking right now.

At that point you have to look at it as: is that C enough of an upgrade over Granlund to justify sending a #2 (potentially #1) D-man and a 20th overall pick in one of the best drafts ever the other way.

I highly doubt it. We're better off keeping Granlund, considering we still don't know what he could become.

Haven't you been paying attention? Wild posters on here wouldn't trade Brodin for Nugent-Hopkins which is absurd to me given our depth at RD and our need at top C. They have it in their mind that he's already Lidstrom. I don't see it or at least not yet(to be fair to those that do).
So... no... there was not a "serious" mention of Brodin for RNH straight up in the conversation. My perspective had always been RNH vs Granlund and whether it was a real upgrade... worthy enough of adding Brodin and a 1st... absolutely not.

Brodin for RNH, if serious, I'd say yes to.

Before either of you guys get too carried away here's a quote from the poll between RNH and Brodin

This whole conversation has been Brodin vs RNH. I didn't say anything about other pieces. It's my opinion that Edmonton needs a proper 1st pairing shutdown dman (Brodin) and we need a 1C with 25+ goal scoring potential (RNH).
The topic was brought up with 2 other pieces going to Edmonton, and that was what I was discussion from point one. Yes, specifically the original center wasn't RNH, but it felt like RNH was just substituted for the conversation.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I put Brodin in bold when I quoted the post. I made it pretty clear that it was only Brodin and RNH. The original post you quoted was suggesting Johansen, not RNH. Would you trade Brodin+Coyle+1st for him? I might.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I put Brodin in bold when I quoted the post. I made it pretty clear that it was only Brodin and RNH. The original post you quoted was suggesting Johansen, not RNH. Would you trade Brodin+Coyle+1st for him? I might.
Again... you jumped into the conversation with what looked like a sarcastic comment. Everything after just felt like RNH was substituted for Johansen as I mentioned.

I also already said no to that offer for Johansen as seen in my direct response to the suggestion.

Obviously we were arguing from different perspectives. I've said I would absolutely trade Brodin for RNH, and had it been "seriously" suggested as such, I would have said so immediately.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I swear to holy chicken fried rice, this Friday better have the most trade action I've seen in the past several years. So many big names out there, so many rumors, so much speculation.

I'm preparing a specific gif and picture for every reaction necessary.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I swear to holy chicken fried rice, this Friday better have the most trade action I've seen in the past several years. So many big names out there, so many rumors, so much speculation.

I'm preparing a specific gif and picture for every reaction necessary.
It wouldn't surprise me to see little movement because little ability to move due to tight cap for the teams willing to do so.

I guess either way wouldn't surprise me.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
It wouldn't surprise me to see little movement because little ability to move due to tight cap for the teams willing to do so.

I guess either way wouldn't surprise me.

This is a true story.

And, you typed a whole reply without using any ellipses :laugh::handclap: (although, yes, you've given me the explanation as to why you use them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad