Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Would be happier with that Islanders one if we could swap Spurgeon for Tuch in that scenario though. Tuch is one of the few skilled offensive players we have in our pool, and would like to keep him if we can.

Agreed. Not sure on the Islanders needs but something around Coyle & Spurgeon for Strome does seem pretty fair...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think RNH playing for someone other than Eakins will surprise you a bit. I also heard he had surgery that could take up to 18 months to recover from last offseason(?). RNH's potential is far greater than Brodin's.

How do you measure that? Because of their draft position?

Ondrej Palat was taken in the 7th round in 2011 and Joel Armia went in the first. Would you say Armia has a far greater potential than Palat?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think RNH playing for someone other than Eakins will surprise you a bit. I also heard he had surgery that could take up to 18 months to recover from last offseason(?). RNH's potential is far greater than Brodin's.

The issue isn't RNH vs Brodin... it's how much of an upgrade RNH really is over Granlund.

I don't think it's very significant of an upgrade... and Granlund's potential is every bit as high at this point as RNH's is IMO.

Agreed. Not sure on the Islanders needs but something around Coyle & Spurgeon for Strome does seem pretty fair...
I would absolutely be ok with that... but I don't know what the Isles need. Might have to add our 2nd at least as well... but I still would probably be ok with that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The issue isn't RNH vs Brodin... it's how much of an upgrade RNH really is over Granlund.

I don't think it's very significant of an upgrade... and Granlund's potential is every bit as high at this point as RNH's is IMO.

I agree.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Simmonds is not "greater than" or more valuable than Nino, and the #7 is right after all the high end guys (McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin) are all gone. It's not worth giving up our second best defenseman to move from 20 to 7.

Simmonds is very similar to Nino and his natural position is RW (he's right handed). I guess I could see how Nino would be potentially better at Simmond's age. Who knows. We could use #7 to trade up or take Provorov/Zacha/Barzal/Werenski/Connor/Rantanen.

Killerjug

Feb 21, 2013

That is not true, Brodin is only 21 still plenty of time to develop some offense with his great defensive abilities he already has

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
All you pro GM's how about this one? Who cares about a cap. :)

MN sends to Philly: Coyle, 20th, spurgeon

Philly to MN: Giroux

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Obviously no Minnesota fan in their right mind would say no to that

Obviously no Philadelphia fan in their right mind would say yes to that

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I like the Islanders one. Big fan of strome!

Uhhhh. Not sure but I think NYI would want Tuch more than Spurgeon.

So having RNH-Granlund as our top two centers is a problem because one might do better than the other? Am I reading that right?

Talon said:
I would absolutely be ok with that... but I don't know what the Isles need. Might have to add our 2nd at least as well... but I still would probably be ok with that.
We'd have to add something to Coyle+Spurgeon.

Oh man... I think Philly should include Voracek while they're at it. To make it more fair of course ;)

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

Oh I'd take that in a heartbeat but before that heartbeat actually happens, PHI has already turned it down. Giroux would cost substantially more than that. As to those other trades, I'd do the OTT one and the NYI one. Also I'd flip Spurgeon for that proposed CLB deal. That'd look nice.

Out: Pominville, Coyle, Spurgeon, Granlund, Tuch, and #50

In: Zib, Strome, Rychel, Grigorenko #31, #34, and #38.

That's gorgeous.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Uhhhh. Not sure but I think NYI would want Tuch more than Spurgeon.

So having RNH-Granlund as our top two centers is a problem because one might do better than the other? Am I reading that right?

We'd have to add something to Coyle+Spurgeon.

Oh man... I think Philly should include Voracek while they're at it. To make it more fair of course ;)
Your sole purpose is to "upgrade" the #1 C position, and you included Granlund as a possibility along with Coyle as a possibility.

RNH is not a significant upgrade, and thus losing Brodin + doesn't likely get the payout you intended in the first place.

If you think Granlund isn't good enough as a #1 C, then you wouldn't likely be happy with the result with RNH after paying such a high price for him.

I'd rather not pay the price of Brodin, 1st, plus possibly Granlund to get someone who's virtually the same as we have in Granlund.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
How do you measure that? Because of their draft position?

Ondrej Palat was taken in the 7th round in 2011 and Joel Armia went in the first. Would you say Armia has a far greater potential than Palat?
Becuase one shows great offensive capabilities, defensive abilities, would be our first 20 goal scoring center since Koivu in 2010 and is only 22. The other is great at defense and skating with no offensive presence and is only 21.
That is not true, Brodin is only 21 still plenty of time to develop some offense with his great defensive abilities he already has
RNH is 22 and has had 3 seasons worth of 50+pt seasons and one on pace for 50 during the lockout.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Haven't you been paying attention? Wild posters on here wouldn't trade Brodin for Nugent-Hopkins which is absurd to me given our depth at RD and our need at top C. They have it in their mind that he's already Lidstrom. I don't see it or at least not yet(to be fair to those that do).

Making stuff up...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Becuase one shows great offensive capabilities, defensive abilities, would be our first 20 goal scoring center since Koivu in 2010 and is only 22. The other is great at defense and skating with no offensive presence.

RNH is 22 and has had 3 seasons worth of 50+pt seasons and one on pace for 50 during the lockout.

Defensemen take longer to develop though too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's valued like he's freaking prime Suter. He doesn't have that value.

Aren't we trying to win before Parise/Suter/Koivu/Vanek/Pominville retire? If we could trade Suter for RNH would you do it?

In a salary cap world, you have to always think of BOTH the present and the future.

As for Suter for RNH, I may accept that, as that helps us in a place of need now, while also getting younger to help the future too. I'd expect we would get more than just RNH in return though. Suter >>> RNH

Top 5-10 D-man in the league is worth more than just RNH. Add a prospect and pick?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
In a salary cap world, you have to always think of BOTH the present and the future.

As for Suter for RNH, I may accept that, as that helps us in a place of need now, while also getting younger to help the future too. I'd expect we would get more than just RNH in return though. Suter >>> RNH

RNH is one year older than Brodin and besides Suter and Leopold (if he's brought back) our whole entire defense group is 25 or younger (Scandella 25, Spurgeon 25, Dumba 20, Folin 24, Olofsson 20). That's well set up for the now and future.

I'd accept Suter for RNH in a heart beat. Suter and Brodin are redundant IMO. They both do the same things. Then:

Brodin-Dumba
Scandella-Spurgeon
Olofsson-Folin

Top two pairings are used evenly as a 1A/1B pairing. That'd be the youngest defense in the NHL and set us up for the long haul not mention we'd have our 1C for now and the future.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There's no guarantee RNH becomes the #1 C you think he is/will be.

I only mention it because you seem to have no hesitations telling us how overrated and ultimately worthless Brodin is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
RNH is one year older than Brodin and besides Suter and Leopold (if he's brought back) our whole entire defense group is 25 or younger (Scandella 25, Spurgeon 25, Dumba 20, Folin 24, Olofsson 20). That's well set up for the now and future.

I'd accept Suter for RNH in a heart beat. Suter and Brodin are redundant IMO. They both do the same things. Then:

Brodin-Dumba
Scandella-Spurgeon
Olofsson-Folin

Top two pairings are used evenly as a 1A/1B pairing. That'd be the youngest defense in the NHL and set us up for the long haul not mention we'd have our 1C for now and the future.
I don't disagree that Suter and Brodin can be a bit redundant together... but that doesn't decrease Suter's value either.

Suter for Malkin would be ideal in a 1 for 1... Suter for Seguin, Suter for Kopitar...

Suter for RNH is shooting too low value-wise. Edmonton needs to add a prospect and a pick.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There's no guarantee RNH becomes the #1 C you think he is/will be.

I only mention it because you seem to have no hesitations telling us how overrated and ultimately worthless Brodin is.

He's not worthless but he IS overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia