Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Can you construct an argument on why Scandella has more value than Spurgeon, and do so without mentioning height?

Speed, instinct for jumping in, shot, physical play.

That's all I got.

Spurg definitely gets burned less, and moves the puck slightly better.

Tough call....

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Zuckers problem wasnt hunger it was his game that needed to be rounded out, better play away from the puck etc. Zucker is a hungry kid, he skates and works his ass off. Also our coach isn't exactly the best at making good decisions with the roster...

Zucker had a fantastic end of the season, his first season as a rookie. He should have stayed in the NHL. Dumba has things that need to be rounded out as well, like not doing too much and his play away from the puck. He's made some mistakes out there that he needs to get better at.

I would consider rushing Coyle and Granlund up into the NHL as well as cautionary tales. Unless we consider Granlund's ceiling a 10 goal center.

There are always things that young players can learn in the AHL. It'd help the cap room as well and give us an extra body in case injuries start bunching up again.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Not sure of this is close to being even a reasonable starting point for Couture, but they could use an upgrade on the RW and if they are inclined to move him and reload instead of rebuild:

1st + Pominville + Olofsson + ???

Pominville would slot in to either of their top 6 wing spots (Wingels was their top RW still on roster and had 36 pts last year per one site).

Like I said, not even sure if this is a reasonable starting point, or if they'd be willing to move Couture. Adding Pominville would be a reload move but it would only free up 500k in salary which could be a problem for them too. They'd probably want a top end forward prospect instead of Olofsson but I saw they only have three D under contract (plus Brenden Dillon as a RFA).

So, laughed out of the room or something to build on?

-----

Let's continue the Sharks / Wild pipeline :D

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the overall idea about using any piece that wouldn't really hurt to lose to fix our center position is a real long shot. I thought maybe Spurgeon as the centerpiece could maybe do a little, but I'm starting to doubt it; definitely not Pommer either.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I think the overall idea about using any piece that wouldn't really hurt to lose to fix our center position is a real long shot. I thought maybe Spurgeon as the centerpiece could maybe do a little, but I'm starting to doubt it; definitely not Pommer either.

I still think they move Spurg but not quite for what people think

That yak for spurg rumor from Russo smelled fishy and I think it got people excited (don't get me wrong, if gmcf pulled that off I would be the first to drop to my knees)

Still maybe gmc. Can work some magic

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
I'd take Yak for just Spurgeon but I'd rather see us use Spurgeon as a piece towards a centerman. Couture sounds nice, but I'd rather us try to get Draisaitl.

With Spurgeon included in the trade, what would it take to get Draisaitl?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd take Yak for just Spurgeon but I'd rather see us use Spurgeon as a piece towards a centerman. Couture sounds nice, but I'd rather us try to get Draisaitl.

With Spurgeon included in the trade, what would it take to get Draisaitl?

A lot. Oilers fans like him, as they should.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN

Fair enough. Obviously you realized the direction I was trying to go. Like you said, it's probably not a realistic outcome.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
If Spurgeon is not a part of a one for one deal for a Yakupov, or a piece for an established centerman, would anyone here be interested in Rychel and the 34th overall?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=82918

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Kerby-Rychel

Only downside to it, imo, is that the Wild do have a logjam at wing (especially if Coyle goes back there, which I think we all believe he should).

Would be interesting, but I'd like it more if he were a center. Sounds like Rychel plays mostly on the LW, which (as you said) we have plenty of at this point.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
In our team's life-cycle, we can trade a declining vet for picks and prospects, but he should only be trading improving young players for other improving young players.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
lets look at this from edm point of view, if they are willing to trade yakupov for a D-man what / who would other teams offer? meaning not everybody is looking for a under 20G scoring high risk right winger to take a gamble on.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
lets look at this from edm point of view, if they are willing to trade yakupov for a D-man what / who would other teams offer? meaning not everybody is looking for a under 20G scoring high risk right winger to take a gamble on.
There is a reason Edmonton has not been able to fix their defense. How many under-25 established top-4 Dmen are available each year? The answer is a lot less frequent than skilled wingers who are small and don't play defense.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Zucker had a fantastic end of the season, his first season as a rookie. He should have stayed in the NHL. Dumba has things that need to be rounded out as well, like not doing too much and his play away from the puck. He's made some mistakes out there that he needs to get better at.

I would consider rushing Coyle and Granlund up into the NHL as well as cautionary tales. Unless we consider Granlund's ceiling a 10 goal center.

There are always things that young players can learn in the AHL. It'd help the cap room as well and give us an extra body in case injuries start bunching up again.
How do you quantify foregone production due to "rushing" guys like Granlund?

It's just a dumb narrative used to criticize and monday morning QB.

There are definitely clear cases where prospects are mishandled (nino) but bringing up Granlund and Coyle aren't those

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
rumor has it Plekanec is on his way out in Montreal. Hes 32 but still got 60 points last year. What would you give up for him? I would rather find a younger Center but you may not have to give up a Kings Ransom to get him? Maybe start off with Pominville? That might be a place he wouldnt have any issues waiving his NTC to go?

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
rumor has it Plekanec is on his way out in Montreal. Hes 32 but still got 60 points last year. What would you give up for him? I would rather find a younger Center but you may not have to give up a Kings Ransom to get him? Maybe start off with Pominville? That might be a place he wouldnt have any issues waiving his NTC to go?

I'd be okay(not ecstatic) with a Plekanec/Pominville swap if nothing noticeable was added to either side, though that's more because of how disgusted I was at Pominville this past season + the term on the 2 players contracts than actually improving the Wild. Plekanec is a good center but is he better than Koivu or Granlund? If not, he's not going to be happy being a #3C. Can Pominville bounce back to a respectable goal total next season? Would look really bad on Fletcher's part if Pominville bounces back and Pleks gave us ~40pts on the 3rd line.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why? If it were a Pominville-Plekanec swap we could slot him at #1C or #2C and switch Coyle back to RW where he belongs. Meanwhile Koivu will slip on down to 3rd line center.

Yeah and then in a couple years Plekanec leaves or gets worse (already not much better than Koivu/Granlund), and Coyle has to move back to C, because we have no C, because we tried to replace him (Coyle) with a 32 year old on the decline, and in the time between now and then, we have no top 6 RW's, because we moved our only one for that 32 year old center on the decline.

No thanks. We need to stop acquiring 30+ year olds.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Yeah and then in a couple years Plekanec leaves or gets worse (already not much better than Koivu/Granlund), and Coyle has to move back to C, because we have no C, because we tried to replace him (Coyle) with a 32 year old on the decline, and in the time between now and then, we have no top 6 RW's, because we moved our only one for that 32 year old center on the decline.

No thanks. We need to stop acquiring 30+ year olds.

like I said I would like a younger Center But if you make this trade you get Pominville contract off the books at 5.6 million per year with 4 years left and I believe Plekanec only has one year left at 5 million, not sure if Mtl wants to take on Pominvilles contract for 4 more years though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad