Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Welcome to Part 12.

If you have a problem with something someone wrote, here are three options:

1. If you disagree with their opinion, write an opposing response to it and stay civil

2. If you believe they violated site rules, click on the "Yield" symbol under their avatar to report it to moderators

3. Ignore it and move on

Keep your cool and keep the sarcasm to a respectful minimum.

Stay on topic.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1829243

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
So. Fix the problem when its too late.

Not everyone thinks it's a problem at this point. Yes, it would be nice to have a 90 point center, but we are still winning games and playing really well as a team.

The way this team is being built, we'll (hopefully) only have to reload, not rebuild once we're trending downward. Draft centers and let them take their time to develop since there's no need to rush them at this point. Drafting and developing well can fix a lot of problems.

We overpay for a center upgrade right now, there's no guarantee it will work and we'll have to give up a lot of future assets and the depth that is currently contributing to our success at the moment.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
lets assume our centers production will not improve from this point , when do you decide to upgrade?

When an upgrade is actually attainable, works within the constraints of the salary cap and asset management, and is necessary for the long-term benefit of the team.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Not everyone thinks it's a problem at this point. Yes, it would be nice to have a 90 point center, but we are still winning games and playing really well as a team.

The way this team is being built, we'll (hopefully) only have to reload, not rebuild once we're trending downward. Draft centers and let them take their time to develop since there's no need to rush them at this point. Drafting and developing well can fix a lot of problems.

We overpay for a center upgrade right now, there's no guarantee it will work and we'll have to give up a lot of future assets and the depth that is currently contributing to our success at the moment.

It'd be nice to have a 60 point center. No one is getting to 90 points this year. Certainly getting some change through this stagnant scouting department would change some minds from drafting defensive players.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
You can see it with the moves they've made or haven't made. The trades. The fact we keep trading for wingers. Instead of making one big trade, we keep making these minor trades.

Which big trades should we have made? I don't recall any big name centers on the trading block in recent memory. How much would we have had to give up to make a big trade for a center?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Even still, we have no way of knowing how agressive we have been in that market either. Have any other centers that would be a clear upgrade on Koivu besides Carter and Seguin been traded in the past 5-7 years?

Spezza had red flags and isn't an upgrade

Staal isn't an upgrade and was expensive as hell

Turris was a complete unknown

Kesler isn't an upgrade.

Anybody I'm missing?

Which big trades should we have made? I don't recall any big name centers on the trading block in recent memory. How much would we have had to give up to make a big trade for a center?

Quoting myself from last page.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Spezza! He's a first line center. Puts up great points and doesn't have any defense or injury deficiencies.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

Kyle Turris is the only notable and realistic one. Seguin is farfetched. I'd say Filip Forsberg but I have no idea what Washington was thinking. Ribeiro, but no thanks.

Could have signed Tyler Johnson, too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kyle Turris is the only notable and realistic one. Seguin is farfetched. I'd say Filip Forsberg but I have no idea what Washington was thinking. Ribeiro, but no thanks.

Could have signed Tyler Johnson, too.

Turris' best NHL season prior to his trade to Ottawa was 25 points in 65 games. I guess we could've taken a flyer or something, but in the context of "upgrading the center position", Turris was a complete unknown.

Also, Rundblad was still a pretty highly regarded prospect, if I recall correctly.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Turris' best NHL season prior to his trade to Ottawa was 25 points in 65 games. I guess we could've taken a flyer or something, but in the context of "upgrading the center position", Turris was a complete unknown.

Also, Rundblad was still a pretty highly regarded prospect, if I recall correctly.

As a 20 year old, I'd take that.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
maybe you think our center group is good enough & thats wonderful, i dont. hopefully this draft we'll use our #1 on a center possibly also our #2. unless we see significant improvement next year we have to look hard at a trade. wether its production or lack of faceoff wins i think we need an upgrade.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
maybe you think our center group is good enough & thats wonderful, i dont. hopefully this draft we'll use our #1 on a center possibly also our #2. unless we see significant improvement next year we have to look hard at a trade. wether its production or lack of faceoff wins i think we need an upgrade.

No one thinks we have elite centers, but we realize you can't just trade for TRUE young #1 Centers. They don't grow on trees.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think a center will be #1 on your draft board but then again you can't go into the draft with the mindset to only draft a center. If a good one falls to us then of course you draft to your need but they'll evaluate everyone who is available at their pick.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Of course it's not too much to ask...I think most of us are just saying it's not easy to just grab one who can do that out of thin air. I'm not giving up on the idea that Granlund and Coyle can be 20G centers.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
maybe im the only one that thinks our #1 center should be capable of scoring 20G. is that really too much to ask?

Not when your wingers score 30G.

This team benefits from all of our depth scoring.

They'll draft a center, but they're not going to go trade for Seguin.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Not when your wingers score 30G.

This team benefits from all of our depth scoring.

They'll draft a center, but they're not going to go trade for Seguin.

Agreed... Because no one is. Because Dallas won't even think about trading him. There's probably not a player in the league who is less likely to get traded than Seguin. That age/contract/production.. You hang onto a player like that. Dallas made away like bandits when they traded for him; there's no way they're letting him go now -- especially to a divisional opponent. Trading for Seguin or a player like him is something we need to get over fast. It's not happening.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Agreed... Because no one is. Because Dallas won't even think about trading him. There's probably not a player in the league who is less likely to get traded than Seguin. That age/contract/production.. You hang onto a player like that. Dallas made away like bandits when they traded for him; there's no way they're letting him go now -- especially to a divisional opponent. Trading for Seguin or a player like him is something we need to get over fast. It's not happening.

I meant Seguin, as in that type of player/trade. Not a literal trade for him.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I meant Seguin, as in that type of player/trade. Not a literal trade for him.

Ryan Johansen (and other players like him) aren't going to come cheap, either. Would have to gut our team. Using the Seguin trade as a yard stick for what we would have to pay isn't realistic. Dallas captured lightning in a bottle. The stars (;)) had to align for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad