Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Another option that might be low risk high rewardish is looking into Alex Burmistrov, he was rumored to want to come back to NHL and with KHL kind of going broke it makes sense.

if the Wild can get him for a good price he might be worth it.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I would much rather look into a coaching change before we trade Brodin, we have good players here we just need consistency.

We're not going to find consistency by creating an inconsistency at the coaching position, unless you're talking about changing up like some PP coaches or assistants. Firing Yeo wouldn't make any sense to me.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
We're not going to find consistency by creating an inconsistency at the coaching position, unless you're talking about changing up like some PP coaches or assistants. Firing Yeo wouldn't make any sense to me.

This is true but at the same time we are not going to get anywhere with Yeo

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I don't want to trade Spurgeon, but if there's a deal to made with San Jose, I'd expect at least Goldobin and Hertl coming this way. And that's highly unlikely to happen.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Few Things

- The younger forwards need to take fairly significant steps before trading Pominville can be considered. In a down year for Pominville, he still outscored the lot by a fairly decent margin. Until that changes, they can't afford to move him. This team doesn't have the consistent scorers to offset the loss.

- Continue to not see how moving Spurgeon makes a lick of sense this offseason. He's this team's best and most consistent defender not named Suter. Relying on defenders from within to fill the minutes he plays is pretty nonsensical at this stage given what we've seen/haven't seen and what we know.

- Brodin should be far from untouchable at this point. Very young still. Yes. Sizable contract, yes. However, he's been an utter liability in nearly every playoff game he's been involved in. It's less than comforting. If this team wants to go further than they have, they need significant development from Brodin.

- Believe they have to try to pawn Cooke off on someone for essentially nothing. They no longer have a need for what he provides and what he's signed to.

- Find a partner for Kuemper to swap for a reliable backup. Kuemper had his shot, blew it, and subsequently missed a fairly substantial window in his development. This team, in this division/conference, can't afford to have him learn on the job when Dubnyk needs a night off.

- Don't see a huge need for a center. Graovac is real deal and will be sound as the #3 center. Gets Coyle back to wing where he belongs as well. Granlund needs to be playoff Granlund year round and this team will be fine.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
spur is a year away from a big payday. im not sure how you replace his production & defense however if you can trade him for a 20G center or a rw 20G sniper you have to consider it. prov , where do you see granlunds production going? do you think he can turn 8G into 20G? (per season) i think he played his best going into the playoffs in hopes for a good contract.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
- Brodin should be far from untouchable at this point. Very young still. Yes. Sizable contract, yes. However, he's been an utter liability in nearly every playoff game he's been involved in. It's less than comforting. If this team wants to go further than they have, they need significant development from Brodin.

I fail to see how being -2 in 28 playoff games makes him a liability. There's a difference between looking shaky and being a liability. Meanwhile Suter is a -18 in the past three years of playoffs. Is he a liability? I mean after all he and Suter are d partners.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I fail to see how being -2 in 28 playoff games makes him a liability. There's a difference between looking shaky and being a liability. Meanwhile Suter is a -18 in the past three years of playoffs. Is he a liability? I mean after all he and Suter are d partners.

I too have yet to see Brodin as a liability. No one played particularly well against chi this year so..

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
spur is a year away from a big payday. im not sure how you replace his production & defense however if you can trade him for a 20G center or a rw 20G sniper you have to consider it. prov , where do you see granlunds production going? do you think he can turn 8G into 20G? (per season) i think he played his best going into the playoffs in hopes for a good contract.

Then your down to only playing four defesnemen in playoffs in overtime. Because you lost one that you trust in the second round.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Interesting offers on the Trade Board

Draisaitl + 16th overall + 33rd overall + Marincin + Ference for Suter + Keumper

I dunno just spit balling feel free to counter... I'm sure you will ask for RNH but I am dead set against trading him.

Gives you a #1 C for the future to good picks in a deep draft and a 3rd pairing left hand D now in Ference and a 2nd/3rd pairing LHD for the future in Marincin who is NHL ready now.

Probably not enough but Suter is just a little to old to sell the farm for.

Draisaitl + 16th + Marincin + Eberle + Yakupov + Bachman for Suter + Pominville + Spurgeon + Kuemper

Suter: Draisaitl + 16th + Yakupov
Pominville + Spurgeon: Eberle + Marincin
Kuemper: Bachman

So many moving pieces my head hurts. Tell me it's bad. Any deals to be made here?

Would have no interest in the bolded, do like Spurgeon though.

The Suter offer is probably fair value, I wouldn't do it though as I said before Suter is just a little old to move the farm for regardless that he is one of the best in the game, I would probably do it if you sub out Yakupov with the Oiler's '16 1st (lottery win protected). But then Wild wouldn't have the incentive to do the deal, so probably not a deal to be had here.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Then your down to only playing four defesnemen in playoffs in overtime. Because you lost one that you trust in the second round.

we are running into cap space troubles. spur will want a min 4 mill and probably ask for leddy money. dumba will be due for a raise at the same time! we cant keep em all & upgrade / fix our weak spots. choices have to be made like it or not.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Few Things

- The younger forwards need to take fairly significant steps before trading Pominville can be considered. In a down year for Pominville, he still outscored the lot by a fairly decent margin. Until that changes, they can't afford to move him. This team doesn't have the consistent scorers to offset the loss.

- Continue to not see how moving Spurgeon makes a lick of sense this offseason. He's this team's best and most consistent defender not named Suter. Relying on defenders from within to fill the minutes he plays is pretty nonsensical at this stage given what we've seen/haven't seen and what we know.

- Believe they have to try to pawn Cooke off on someone for essentially nothing. They no longer have a need for what he provides and what he's signed to.

- Find a partner for Kuemper to swap for a reliable backup. Kuemper had his shot, blew it, and subsequently missed a fairly substantial window in his development. This team, in this division/conference, can't afford to have him learn on the job when Dubnyk needs a night off.

- Don't see a huge need for a center. Graovac is real deal and will be sound as the #3 center. Gets Coyle back to wing where he belongs as well. Granlund needs to be playoff Granlund year round and this team will be fine.

Brodin is more consistent that Spurg by a mile and then some

Brodin is far from a liability on this team, he is the most consistent dman we have and is developing quite nicely. Its not his fault Suter and crew get walked by anyone who can skate.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
lets say we get through this summers cap issues which we will end up maxed out on cap or very close! next year if zucker & dumba improve your looking at huge cap hits plus fonzy will deserve a slight raise and top it off with spurgeon? ruff #'s add plus 2.5 for zucker , 3 mill dumba, 2 mill for spur maybe 1 mill fonzy thats an additional 8.5 mill and its very doubtful the cap goes up that high not to mention lou nanne i believe said with the canadian dollar falling cap may go down! also in a year or 2 expansion we may lose a couple players not sure how that factors in yet. many sleepless nights for CF ahead!

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
The idea isn't that crazy. Edmonton will draft McDavid and with a true #1D they will be a contender soon.

Ryan Suter passes up offers from a bunch of (read: every) serious contenders for the opportunity to build a contender with a close friend at a personally important location for the two of them. His team improves each year, ousting the top seed in the playoffs in two successive years while personal struggles highlight the importance of his chosen place. When the future is at its brightest, he gives all that up to go to a team that hasn't yet exhibited one sign of bucking a trend of perpetual bottom-dwelling.

It's not crazy like, "Hello, Shark Tank. The business I'm bringing you today is a line of clothing for your intestines, which you wear by being cut open and then having a doctor or surgeon put it on you. They come with little interchangeable slogans and sports logos and are applied only by actual non-laboratory bolts of lightning, so the procedures must take place in the open during thunderstorms. See, but there's so many, that you could have one for Monday, one for Tuesday... This little Garfield one, for example, well I didn't get licensing rights for Garfield so let's call this orange, lasagna-loving cat 'Garvalley', he really hates Mondays, you see, so it would be really hip and ironic to have a licensed professional vivisect you during one of Thor's finest and fit six inches of your available twenty feet of luxurious velvety small intestine with this fabulous Garvalley saying 'I hate Mondays,' and you'd still have room for thirty-nine more, and you could have that done for Monday and put all new ones on for Tuesday! Sure, it hinders your bowels from actually absorbing any nutrients, but I look at that as a bonus!", no. So well done with that, I guess.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Also ANY Suter trade proposal should not be taken into consideration, NMC says it all.
It's all in a good fun :cry:
Ryan Suter passes up offers from a bunch of (read: every) serious contenders for the opportunity to build a contender with a close friend at a personally important location for the two of them. His team improves each year, ousting the top seed in the playoffs in two successive years while personal struggles highlight the importance of his chosen place. When the future is at its brightest, he gives all that up to go to a team that hasn't yet exhibited one sign of bucking a trend of perpetual bottom-dwelling.

It's not crazy like, "Hello, Shark Tank. The business I'm bringing you today is a line of clothing for your intestines, which you wear by being cut open and then having a doctor or surgeon put it on you. They come with little interchangeable slogans and sports logos and are applied only by actual non-laboratory bolts of lightning, so the procedures must take place in the open during thunderstorms. See, but there's so many, that you could have one for Monday, one for Tuesday... This little Garfield one, for example, well I didn't get licensing rights for Garfield so let's call this orange, lasagna-loving cat 'Garvalley', he really hates Mondays, you see, so it would be really hip and ironic to have a licensed professional vivisect you during one of Thor's finest and fit six inches of your available twenty feet of luxurious velvety small intestine with this fabulous Garvalley saying 'I hate Mondays,' and you'd still have room for thirty-nine more, and you could have that done for Monday and put all new ones on for Tuesday! Sure, it hinders your bowels from actually absorbing any nutrients, but I look at that as a bonus!", no. So well done with that, I guess.

That had more drama than it needed. I was just trying to defeat the "nobody wants to go to Edmonton cause they suck" cause it won't be true for very long. Obviously there are barriers with NMC and it's likely not going to happen but it's fun to speculate what we could get for him.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
1. On Dubnyk and Granlund, he’ll begin communication with them so he has a good sense of what they’ll cost heading into the organizational meetings.

He believes Dubnyk will get done in time: “It was a pretty good fit for both parties.â€

Now, maybe Dubnyk takes less to stay in a place where he was a solid fit, but this was a $3.75 million goalie in Edmonton. For the Wild to sign him, the deal will obviously average well north of $3 million per.

The final figure will depend on term. Give him three years, the average salary/cap hit is probably more. Give him four or five years, and the Wild can probably get the average salary/cap hit to a more comfortable number. Two years makes little sense to me. 1) Why would he take two years? 2) Two years basically means you have to talk to him about an extension next summer if he has a big year.

I still firmly believe the Wild may dangle Jared Spurgeon this summer. He’s due $3.6 million this upcoming season and is a year away from restricted free agency. He will command a long-term deal at significant dollars the Wild may not be able to (or want to) afford with Matt Dumba emerging. I’m sure the Wild’s very conflicted about this. Besides the fact that he’s one of the Wild’s best puck possession defensemen and a good citizen, the Wild found him, the Wild developed him.

Similarly, there’s a lot to think about with Mikael Granlund (long-term health concerns, how much can he produce in his career), and a lot will depend on contract negotiations. If those talks go off the rails, he could be dangled, too. If either or both of these guys could lure a pure goal scorer or upper echelon center, Fletcher may have to think long and hard about it.

“Losing the way we did stings to put it mildly. But after beating St. Louis, I don’t think many people were asking us to make massive changes. So you have to be careful changing direction after four games. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t disappointing. We’ve got to figure out what happened and why. But the way the system’s set up for every team, not just ours, it’s not really set up that you can make kneejerk reactions and change directions quickly, nor would we want to. We have good personnel. We just have good personnel that didn’t play very well in one series, there’s no question. We’ll figure out in early June why we didn’t play better, why weren’t we able to take a step? I just want to let some of the emotion die down and be rational.â€

Because so many teams are already crunched up to the cap ceiling heading into the summer, I don’t think it would be easy to trade any of the high-priced vets even if Fletcher wanted to.

And Fletcher said he doesn’t necessarily want to.

“I just want to be careful here,†he said. “For four months everything went right, and then we lost four games. I like a lot of things, but I want to figure out what I don’t like and correct it.

“But I’m not looking to sacrifice multiple pieces this offseason. I’d like to keep as much of the team together as we can. We’ll see how it plays out. But I’m not going in looking to gut this team. I like our players, I like our team. I think we showed for a lot of this year that we’re a darn good hockey team. Certainly we had a bad seven days in May against Chicago, but I don’t have a bunch of complaints with our group from Jan. 15 on.â€

So [Mike] Reilly will likely go to whatever team he sees the best fit and opportunity. The question is whether Reilly would look at the Wild and see a door open with Ryan Suter, Jonas Brodin and Marco Scandella signed long-term and Dumba looking like he has a long future here.

It makes total sense for the Wild to go after him because of Reilly’s intelligence, mobility and skill and the Wild’s need for that amongst its prospect pool (documented above in the Iowa section).

But that’s also why Reilly will have several teams calling.

Chicago makes a ton of sense, and frankly, I bet the Hawks will be one of the frontrunners if not the frontrunner. I also hear the Rangers, Kings and Oilers have significant interest.

Big ol' blog from Russo

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
"I just want to be careful here,” he said. “For four months everything went right, and then we lost four games. I like a lot of things, but I want to figure out what I don’t like and correct it."

That quote by Fletcher does put some things into perspective.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
we are running into cap space troubles. spur will want a min 4 mill and probably ask for leddy money. dumba will be due for a raise at the same time! we cant keep em all & upgrade / fix our weak spots. choices have to be made like it or not.

But at the same time your weakening the defense. Dumba not close to playing like Spurgeon yet. It was only for half a season too. Erik Haula was supposed be a second line center after a half a season also.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Brodin is more consistent that Spurg by a mile and then some

Brodin is far from a liability on this team, he is the most consistent dman we have and is developing quite nicely. Its not his fault Suter and crew get walked by anyone who can skate.

Brodin has been, by far, the worst defender in this team's top 4 every year in the playoffs. Frankly, I don't see how that's even debatable. It's also not Suter's fault he's needs to make up for a young defender who's getting beat physically on the boards and out front. Not to mention dealing with numerous Brodin turnovers that we just don't see in the regular season due to increased pressure in the Dzone.

Taking Suter to task while trying to defend Brodin is just silly.

It's getting the point where this team needs to see some development from him and not content. Time after time, he's far too reliant on Suter's abilities than his own. Next year will be his fourth in the NHL, we need to see significantly more from him in terms of a willingness to take command of the play and not defer over and over again.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
no mention in russo's blog about dangling coyle which surprises me. you cant keep adding players without some subtractions especially with cap limits. longterm do you keep dumba or spur if you have to choose? folin , leopold , blum , prosser could bridge us until a prospect or 2 are ready even though their production would be less than spurs. what if labbe is the real deal? olofsson? lots of D prospects with no room on the wild roster.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
A person who dislikes Brodin. Never thought I'd see that. If I remember correctly Suter doesn't fit well with anyone BUT Brodin. Brodin seems to cover well for Suter's mistakes despite playing on his off side. We'll never see them apart though cause Yeo refuses to change lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad