Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
like I said I would like a younger Center But if you make this trade you get Pominville contract off the books at 5.6 million per year with 4 years left and I believe Plekanec only has one year left at 5 million, not sure if Mtl wants to take on Pominvilles contract for 4 more years though

Yeah but Plekanec is not enough of an upgrade over our current centers to justify trading away our only current top 6 RW, even if it means getting rid of a contract sooner.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Yeah but Plekanec is not enough of an upgrade over our current centers to justify trading away our only current top 6 RW, even if it means getting rid of a contract sooner.

Let me ask you this? are you comfortable having Pominville for 4 more years at 5.6 million? IMO I think Pominville has hit a ceiling i see his production declining going forward. But if you are ok with him at the price range then I understand your point about not doing this trade. I still would try to get RNH from the Oilers if he can be moved? Russo through out Couture's name not sure the Sharks would want to deal him. if you get Plekanac he adds to your Centers and he can still get 60 points which is more than Granlund and Koivu will give you I think

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Let me ask you this? are you comfortable having Pominville for 4 more years at 5.6 million? IMO I think Pominville has hit a ceiling i see his production declining going forward. But if you are ok with him at the price range then I understand your point about not doing this trade. I still would try to get RNH from the Oilers if he can be moved? Russo through out Couture's name not sure the Sharks would want to deal him. if you get Plekanac he adds to your Centers and he can still get 60 points which is more than Granlund and Koivu will give you I think

The question is can he get 60 points on this team? We keep acquiring these older players with their best years behind them thinking they can do that here, and so far 0 of them have. I highly doubt Plekanec will be any different.

And let me ask you this: What would you do about our RW situation if this deal was made?

If we could somehow get a good deal around Spurgeon for Yakupov I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing this, especially because of the contracts the two players have, but until we get a top 6 RW to replace him, we have to hang on to Pominville. We can always move him before the four years are up later on down the line too if Tuch/whoever else we get can replace him in that time.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can see both sides, I just personally think we would need to bolster up the right side a little bit before we trade Pominville.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
The question is can he get 60 points on this team? We keep acquiring these older players with their best years behind them thinking they can do that here, and so far 0 of them have. I highly doubt Plekanec will be any different.

And let me ask you this: What would you do about our RW situation if this deal was made?

If we could somehow get a good deal around Spurgeon for Yakupov I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing this, especially because of the contracts the two players have, but until we get a top 6 RW to replace him, we have to hang on to Pominville. We can always move him before the four years are up later on down the line too if Tuch/whoever else we get can replace him in that time.

I dont know to be honest. I am just worried about the veterans on this team and hitting a ceiling. I think Pominville and Koivu have maxed out in points, I think they decline going forward so IMO I move them if they can. I think Pominville is the easiest to move. Koivu is the captain so I dont see him waiving his NMC and Vanek took less money to come here so I dont see him moving either

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i dont know to be honest. I am just worried about the veterans on this team and hitting a ceiling. I think Pominville and Koivu have maxed out in points, i think they decline going forward so IMO I move them if I can. I think Pominville is the easiest to move. Koivu is the captain so I dont see him waiving his NMC and Vanek took less money to come here so I dont see him moving either

I 100% agree with you about them being on the decline and that it'd be nice to move them, I just don't see how we can afford to move them and still be competitive if we get lesser players for them. Not that Plekanec is necessarily lesser, but I think he's on the decline too.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I 100% agree with you about them being on the decline and that it'd be nice to move them, I just don't see how we can afford to move them and still be competitive if we get lesser players for them. Not that Plekanec is necessarily lesser, but I think he's on the decline too.

I know Spurg has come up in trade rumors but I have been saying you move Brodin and hope you get a young stud Center back, whether its RNH or Couture. We are desperate for a #1 center. I dont think Spurgeon brings us an elite young forward back IMO. I love Brodin but we need a young elite scorer/center and Brodin is a piece that can get us that. I think we would be ok on D if we moved him

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i dont know to be honest. I am just worried about the veterans on this team and hitting a ceiling. I think Pominville and Koivu have maxed out in points, i think they decline going forward so IMO I move them if I can. I think Pominville is the easiest to move. Koivu is the captain so I dont see him waiving his NMC and Vanek took less money to come here so I dont see him moving either

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I know Spurg has come up in trade rumors but I have been saying you move Brodin and hope you get a young stud Center back, whether its RNH or Couture. We are desperate for a #1 center. I dont think Spurgeon brings us an elite young forward back IMO. I love Brodin but we need a young elite scorer/center and Brodin is a piece that can get us that. I think we would be ok on D if we moved him

Brodin is the only defenseman on this team I trust to be consistent.

If they move him I will be livid

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Brodin is a player that can cement our top-pairing potentially for the next 15 years. The reason Spurgeon gets brought up is because he's the only defenseman not signed long term and makes the most sense to move. Brodin is signed for 6 more years at just over 4 million. If we trade him for a center it better be for someone signed at that great a contract both in length and price. There are only a few players I can think of that if we traded Brodin for I'd be OK with it, and Couture/RNH are not part of that list.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin is one of those players you take for granted till he's gone.

I don't get the RNH love myself. He sometimes scores points on a lousy team that overemphasizes offence at the expense of D. As soon as he came here Yeo would stick him on the third line till he learned how to play C the way the Wild do, which often has them covering the front of our net in our zone, playing D while our D pinches,etc.. How do you think RNH would take to that?

Oh, and take a look at his FO stats. 45% and WAY under every year in the league. Is he really that much of an upgrade over Granlund?

I feel that Yak and RNH are given disproportionate value simply because they were #1 picks. The former, especially, has done NOTHING to warrant sending significant pieces in a trade for him.

Last edited:

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
IMO I just feel the Wild are going to struggle to get to the next level without a game changing forward /Center. I feel the Wild have enough depth at D to get by without Brodin and I feel Brodin is the piece that gives us the best chance to acquire a player like that.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
^ I agree with that, though I won't be upset if they don't move brodin. The common idea on these boards that a spurgeon package can return a high end forward is, frankly, ludicrous. So our options are trade brodin or stick with what we have. Both are reasonable opinions.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sorry if its been talked about but are u guys letting Stewart walk? I keep thinking he is destined for the Oilers.... Chiarelli always wanted him in Boston and now he is a UFA and Oils need bigger guys

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I hope so. He's going to be too expensive and has been invisible for large portions of his career.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Stewart was fun while he lasted, but we can't afford him. Numbers around 5M/year are being tossed around for a guy who was essentially Matt Moulson 2.0.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Stewart was fun while he lasted, but we can't afford him. Numbers around 5M/year are being tossed around for a guy who was essentially Matt Moulson 2.0.

Ya I am thinking Edmonton will offer him a 2 year 8-9 mill type deal... Oilers can afford that for those 2 years till they gotta start signing their young guys to extensions

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
You don't trade brodin. Brodin for 6 years at 4 mil is going to be a steal. You keep him like an alfredsson, as long as possible. Sign Reilly and trade spurgeon if the return is good

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
People I'd target for trade:

RW: Simmonds, Wheeler, Kessel (retained), Eberle
C: Giroux, T Johnson :)(), Johansen, Pavelski, Couture, Turris
LW: Hartnell, JVR, Hoffman, Neal
D: Wideman, Vatanen

Each with their own varying degree of value depending on contract and age.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Why? If it were a Pominville-Plekanec swap we could slot him at #1C or #2C and switch Coyle back to RW where he belongs. Meanwhile Koivu will slip on down to 3rd line center.

Is Plekanec a better player than Koivu? They're pretty similar, wouldn't expect any different results with either of them centering the same wingers, except maybe Vanek if Pleks had chemistry with him in Montreal. You'd still want to match Koivu against top-lines(as a "#3C) so he'd still get big minutes and you'd have to support him with quality linemates.

Meanwhile at RW is Coyle better than Pominville? History suggests that's a downgrade, though Pominville did look on the decline last year and Coyle's teased us with potential the past couple seasons.

If we get 25+ goals and ~60 points out of Pominville, he's fine. That's the level of skill he's been fairly consistent for 7 years prior to last season.

I believe Koivu puts up 60+ points with Parise + 1 as his wingers for 82 games, so as above I don't see Plekanec as a noticeable upgrade as a #1C. Is he a good player who we could use? Definitely, but I'd take the 13/14 Pominville over any Thomas Plekanec we've seen. Comes down to whether or not you believe that Pominville can regain that form.

I'd rather move any of our 2010 draft forwards than any of our RD to land a center, but if that's what it takes then it would have to be considered. If we do move Brodin I hope an extension with Spurgeon is worked out before that trade, and I'd probably disagree with the move, because Brodin is a special player. Would move Dumba before him.

Sorry if its been talked about but are u guys letting Stewart walk? I keep thinking he is destined for the Oilers.... Chiarelli always wanted him in Boston and now he is a UFA and Oils need bigger guys

He's a nice 4th liner who can jump up to give another line a spark, but he's probably going to get paid like something he's not. I'd pay Brodziak more than I'd pay Stewart.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
We need time, not there yet. Also I think we need a 2/3 D, Sekera would be nice. Someone who can ease minutes on Suter. Our offence is good but Vanek has been a bust. Don't know what game changers we could get ?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
We need time, not there yet. Also I think we need a 2/3 D, Sekera would be nice. Someone who can ease minutes on Suter. Our offence is good but Vanek has been a bust. Don't know what game changers we could get ?

Really disagree. Brodin/Scandella/Spurgeon can handle 25+ minute games. The problem for most of the year wasn't that our top-4 couldn't handle minutes, it's that our bottom 2 couldn't. Once we got Dumba/Leopold clicking we could roll defense pretty well. Suter plays 23 minutes of even strength time a game, put someone more qualified to run a PP in his place and his TOI shouldn't be a problem with our current defense. Brodin/Scandella/Spurgeon each average more short-handed TOI than Suter, but Suter averages more PP TOI than all 3 combined (Suter averaged 3:50 in PP TOI).

Suter averages only 1 more shift a game than Brodin and 2 more shifts a game than Scandella/Spurgeon. Brodin/Scandella/Spurgeon all have similar TOI/shift, but Suter's average shift is 10 seconds longer than all those, in no small part due to the fact that he can be on the ice for 1:30 straight during a PP. Get Suter off the PP and the PP will improve and his TOI will stop being something that people complain about. Absolutely no need to go out and get a 2/3 Dman.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I keep imagining that we trade for Malkin. Wonder what it would take... Granlund+Pominville+Brodin+1st maybe? That's probably the value even though I wouldn't do it.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Brodin is one of those players you take for granted till he's gone.

I don't get the RNH love myself. He sometimes scores points on a lousy team that overemphasizes offence at the expense of D. As soon as he came here Yeo would stick him on the third line till he learned how to play C the way the Wild do, which often has them covering the front of our net in our zone, playing D while our D pinches,etc.. How do you think RNH would take to that?

Oh, and take a look at his FO stats. 45% and WAY under every year in the league. Is he really that much of an upgrade over Granlund?

I feel that Yak and RNH are given disproportionate value simply because they were #1 picks. The former, especially, has done NOTHING to warrant sending significant pieces in a trade for him.

Thank you!

Seriously people, no way should brodin be moved unless its a massive piece coming back, his contract and level of play are worth a boat load to any team. Plus he isn't even close to done developing yet, we could be looking at a #1 dman at a great price.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I would much rather look into a coaching change before we trade Brodin, we have good players here we just need consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad