Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo was making it seem like Cole could be close to an extension in one of his recent articles. Not sure it makes any sense though unless Soucy is 100% gone.
Not impressed with that idea. Cole looks slow, and at the age he's at, will only get slower. He is not bad now, but I can easily see him being bad as soon as next year. Signing him to a Pateryn type contract would be a mistake, IMO. You will always be able to get bottom pairing veteran Dmen for cheap, on a one year deal, especially in a financial climate like we have today and going forward into next year at a minimum.

Reactions: MNRube

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone think foligno, & parise being out are causing the team to slump?

Something isn't right, & it feels like dean e has lost the lockeroom
I'm not so sure it's about having or losing the lockeroom, and I don't think it has all that much to do with coaching. This team started as a .500 team, then got COVID. During that COVID period, they got a lot of rest while most other teams in the division were still playing. They then exited the COVID break with tons of energy and looked fast as a result of playing on fresh legs against teams that weren't on fresh legs. Now the Wild are having to play all of those make-up games they missed during the COVID break, and look extremely slow and sloppy because they're the tired team, this time. I think it's as simple as energy levels, and right now they aren't getting the necessary time between games to refresh them.

Basically, The Wild are not as good as they looked coming out of the COVID break, and they're not as bad as they look right now. They're probably that .500 team from the beginning of the year, all energy levels being equal.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think this team has been overachieving. They are a Trainwreck at Center, and have no PP. We have been riding Kaprizov, but that can only go far. Since the gates for playoff games will likely be limited and bring in a fraction of the cash that it normally does, there is less of a reward this year for being in the playoffs. If there ever was a year for selling, or at least standing pat, this is it.
I like this teams spirit and energy, but we just don't have the horses to do more than take a game or two in the playoffs.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If we had one more legitimate top 9 center I’d feel pretty good about being able to have 4 lines that can contribute. Rask has come back down to earth (maybe a few layers below) and is getting caved in right now.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I assume if the leafs lose in the playoffs early this year they’ll be looking to finally break up the big-4. What would people be willing to give up for Nylander, and would be be comfortable playing him at center? It’s not like I expect dean to be able to figure it out, but he’d be perfect in the bumper with Fiala on the half-wall and Kaprizov down low. Suter up top with Dumba available for the one timer.

It would also just give us another top-6 caliber player.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I'm really hoping we move some guys like Bonino, Johannson, and etc. at the deadline. Even if it is only a mid round pick or something back. Get Boldy up here and let some Iowa guys get bottom 6 roles.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
If we had one more legitimate top 9 center I’d feel pretty good about being able to have 4 lines that can contribute. Rask has come back down to earth (maybe a few layers below) and is getting caved in right now.

I think when talking back to earth and layers, you were spot on with Cave for a description of where he's at. Rask is the Cave Man.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
I'm really hoping we move some guys like Bonino, Johannson, and etc. at the deadline. Even if it is only a mid round pick or something back. Get Boldy up here and let some Iowa guys get bottom 6 roles.
Maybe I’m imagining things, but hasn’t Russo also suggested that Guerin would like to re-sign Bonino if the price is right?

Maybe Fiala can inflate Johannsson’s value to a third?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Lost out on Kierstad, fwiw....

Left shot but maybe gets immediate playing time with the Ekblad situation. Sure we don't have a ton of LS depth here but he probably knew he wouldn't see the ice anytime soon with the love affair with Hunt and Cole, heck Mermis probably would get a shot before he would knowing this staff.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Maybe I’m imagining things, but hasn’t Russo also suggested that Guerin would like to re-sign Bonino if the price is right?

Russo had mentioned that and it made me sick... watching the game last night and all the blind passes Bonino tried to make it was just hideous. Sure creative guys like Kaprizov and Lizard have been trying them and turning it over.. its frustrating but then you see Bonino just doing dumb stuff and its beyond aggravating. He is supposed to be your consistent piece.. really hoping that some team is looking for playoff depth and takes a run at him, and hoping Guerin doesn't hold any allegiance.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Trade Dumba+1st to Florida Lundell+Benning.

Parise to Islanders for Ladd and another cap dump.

Add Boldy, Rossi, and Lundell to group next year.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Parise who had started to play great, & was promoted to 1st line before getting covid?

Is Benning d from Edmonton? Because if so, he sucks

Take out the 1st from dumba

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The Dumba/Lundell one is interesting. I think the chances of Florida giving up Lundell are in the 0-1% range, but it's the sort of overpayment that might nudge them more toward 1%. And under the circumstances, I think there's a decent case to be made for us overpaying: it adds another high-quality center prospect and helps mitigate the expansion draft issue.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

He did say that, but I’m pretty good at detecting what speculation and what’s reporting by Russo these days, and I think it’s the former.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I assume if the leafs lose in the playoffs early this year they’ll be looking to finally break up the big-4. What would people be willing to give up for Nylander, and would be be comfortable playing him at center? It’s not like I expect dean to be able to figure it out, but he’d be perfect in the bumper with Fiala on the half-wall and Kaprizov down low. Suter up top with Dumba available for the one timer.

It would also just give us another top-6 caliber player.
Do we try to go dumba for Nylander straight up? I’d like him in the top six and if he can win faceoffs I could care less about his defensive zone coverage. If we are willing to run parise at center Nylander should easily be a candidate

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Do we try to go dumba for Nylander straight up? I’d like him in the top six and if he can win faceoffs I could care less about his defensive zone coverage. If we are willing to run parise at center Nylander should easily be a candidate
I think we’d have to add a bit

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Doesn't Nylander fall under the same criticisms as Reinhart? Both are wingers and should be wingers instead of Centers? At least lately Reinhart is playing center. Nylander seems assigned to RW at this point.

I like that he is a right shot, but so is Reinhart. I understand our center core is abysmal, but if we are trading Dumba I would hope that we are making a play for a Center and not a wing that we hope can play center.

Reactions: 57special

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Doesn't Nylander fall under the same criticisms as Reinhart? Both are wingers and should be wingers instead of Centers? At least lately Reinhart is playing center. Nylander seems assigned to RW at this point.

I like that he is a right shot, but so is Reinhart. I understand our center core is abysmal, but if we are trading Dumba I would hope that we are making a play for a Center and not a wing that we hope can play center.
I agree overall, but I think if you can move Dumba for a comparable forward before the expansion draft you have to consider it regardless of position.

Parise, Zuccarello, Fiala, Eriksson-Ek, Greenway, <Dumba trade>, <another forward>
Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin
Kahkonen

You lose someone like Soucy or Foligno to expansion and should be able to fill the loss by promoting a prospect. Maybe the forward you got for Dumba is around long term or maybe they're part of a deal for a center, but worst case you're "stuck" with another skilled forward and didn't lose a high-value player for nothing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He did say that, but I’m pretty good at detecting what speculation and what’s reporting by Russo these days, and I think it’s the former.
So what Russo is really saying is that Bonino is a nice guy and always has time to talk to him?

Besides faceoffs, I don't see what WTH we need another mediocre bottom six C. We've got Rask for another year, Sturm can play C, and Hartman has shown he can in a pinch. Hell Johnson has shown he is an ace on the dot...is he really that much worse, keeping in mind that we could get him for the league minimum?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So what Russo is really saying is that Bonino is a nice guy and always has time to talk to him?

Besides faceoffs, I don't see what WTH we need another mediocre bottom six C. We've got Rask for another year, Sturm can play C, and Hartman has shown he can in a pinch. Hell Johnson has shown he is an ace on the dot...is he really that much worse, keeping in mind that we could get him for the league minimum?
Having at least one center that can win a face-off is nice.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree overall, but I think if you can move Dumba for a comparable forward before the expansion draft you have to consider it regardless of position.

Parise, Zuccarello, Fiala, Eriksson-Ek, Greenway, <Dumba trade>, <another forward>
Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin
Kahkonen

You lose someone like Soucy or Foligno to expansion and should be able to fill the loss by promoting a prospect. Maybe the forward you got for Dumba is around long term or maybe they're part of a deal for a center, but worst case you're "stuck" with another skilled forward and didn't lose a high-value player for nothing.
I dunno...losing Soucy would be painful. After a slow start, he is starting to look good again. He scores quite a bit for a bottom pairing D, has size (unlike Addison, Menell, Spurgeon), and is a decent defender. If he is taken, and we trade Dumba, we don't look vg on D anymore. Suter is definitely slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad