Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I dunno...losing Soucy would be painful. After a slow start, he is starting to look good again. He scores quite a bit for a bottom pairing D, has size (unlike Addison, Menell, Spurgeon), and is a decent defender. If he is taken, and we trade Dumba, we don't look vg on D anymore. Suter is definitely slowing down.
I'm not thrilled about the idea of losing Soucy after trading away Dumba, but Suter/Brodin is still a strong left side of the defense. A competent, decently physical 4/5 guy doesn't seem like the hardest thing to acquire, at least relative to the prospect of just losing Dumba for nothing. Then again, a lot of GMs do get themselves into contract trouble chasing after those guys...

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Neither of those are true.

Actually it's. if you were watching games, you would know parise was playing on 1st line before getting covid

You just like to attack me. Go check your fact because you are wrong.

Dean promoted parise to 1st line before he got covid

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Actually it's. if you were watching games, you would know parise was playing on 1st line before getting covid

Depends on what you deem the "1st line" because the first line to me all year has been Mats-Worthless-Kaprizov

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Parise was playing better immediately before the covid stuff, but a 1-game promotion on this team doesn't indicate much. Unless Victor Rask is really a 1C, now.

He's still 36 years old, still taking up $7.5m in cap space for the next 4 years and is still struggling to string more than a handful of good games together. If there's any opportunity to get out from under his contract early it's worth considering, especially since Guerin seems pretty unconcerned with what happens this year.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Parise was playing better immediately before the covid stuff, but a 1-game promotion on this team doesn't indicate much. Unless Victor Rask is really a 1C, now.

He's still 36 years old, still taking up $7.5m in cap space for the next 4 years and is still struggling to string more than a handful of good games together. If there's any opportunity to get out from under his contract early it's worth considering, especially since Guerin seems pretty unconcerned with what happens this year.

Victor rask sucks

You don't make any rash changes. You wait until parise, & fool comes back to see how team plays

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Victor rask sucks

You don't make any rash changes. You wait until parise, & fool comes back to see how team plays
For what possible reason? To see whether the team is primed to do some real damage in the playoffs without any top-6 centers, without a functional powerplay, and with one guy that can win a faceoff? Even at his absolute best Parise is the most expensive and redundant player on this team, especially now that Boldy's got a contract.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
You know they have been broken up right? They were broken up late in 3rd period vs. Sharks

It was kaprizov, fiala than have no idea who was playing c

Lines get broken up during game flow all the time, you remember Parise was healthy scratched right? What do the lineups look like to start the game.. that is what you were going off of for your rationalization of Parise as a top line player. He has been on the 4th line and scratched this year. Name one of the other top 6 forwards who have been that? Heck name another of the top 9? Johannson maybe.. but he was injured. I just think you're off base on considering Parise to be anything other than a shell of what he used to be, especially for that contract.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

Parise wasnt on the 1st line, and he also is no longer a top 9 player. Hes a plug, eating up valuable cap, that could be replaced by a minor leaguer any night of the week.

Reactions: MNRube

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Parise wasnt on the 1st line, and he also is no longer a top 9 player. Hes a plug, eating up valuable cap, that could be replaced by a minor leaguer any night of the week.

He was on 1st like, that is a fact. One game he was promoted to 1st line, 2nd game, he started , & finished the game on 1st line.

After post game, dean evanson praised parise for his play. It was the game I believe parise drew 2 PP & win for wild also

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He was on 1st like, that is a fact. One game he was promoted to 1st line, 2nd game, he started , & finished the game on 1st line.

After post game, dean evanson praised parise for his play. It was the game I believe parise drew 2 PP & win for wild also

Are you talking about when Zuccarello was injured or what?

Honestly I think you can end this whole thing now by just accepting the fact that just becauise Russo listed Parise's line first in his tweet, doesn't mean it's the first line. Kaprizov has been the first line since the beginning of the season, and I don't think Parise has ever played with Kaprizov, but certainly not in the last two months.

Reactions: GuerinUp

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
For what possible reason? To see whether the team is primed to do some real damage in the playoffs without any top-6 centers, without a functional powerplay, and with one guy that can win a faceoff? Even at his absolute best Parise is the most expensive and redundant player on this team, especially now that Boldy's got a contract.

Because to me, wild have sucked without foligno, & Parise. Something is clearly not right with the team.

Just want to see the chemistry once both players return, & if wild can play like they have been before losing this 2 guys

No matter how much we want boldy up, Guerin said he would have to earn it. I am guessing for cap reasons, he's not getting called up until after deadline

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Honestly I think you can end this whole thing now by just accepting the fact that just becauise Russo listed Parise's line first in his tweet, doesn't mean it's the first line. Kaprizov has been the first line since the beginning of the season, and I don't think Parise has ever played with Kaprizov, but certainly not in the last two months.
I had to check, but apparently his last game (3/22 vs the Ducks) he did play several shifts in the 2nd and 3rd with Kaprizov and Bjugstad. I don't know about you, but that certainly has me reevaluating my entire take on the guy.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I had to check, but apparently his last game (3/22 vs the Ducks) he did play several shifts in the 2nd and 3rd with Kaprizov and Bjugstad. I don't know about you, but that certainly has me reevaluating my entire take on the guy.

I'm a changed man

Was that the game the bench was shortened because of an injury or two and they were double shifting Kaprizov?

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

No, I am talking about wild recent 4 or 5 game homestand before parise being tested positive for covid. Game before covid news for Parise, he started, & closed the game
Zuccarello has been playing a while now.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Because to me, wild have sucked without foligno, & Parise. Something is clearly not right with the team.

Just want to see the chemistry once both players return, & if wild can play like they have been before losing this 2 guys

No matter how much we want boldy up, Guerin said he would have to earn it. I am guessing for cap reasons, he's not getting called up until after deadline
You're conflating a very, very short term question with a long term one. The purpose of trading away Parise would have next to nothing to do with this season and everything to do with the expansion draft and what lies beyond it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The last game Parise played was 3/22 against the Ducks. He was with Ek and Greenway and they played the 2nd most forward line 5v5 minutes, and to their credit, appeared to do pretty well.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Absolutely mind-blowing that someone who claims to watch the games thinks 11 is why this team has struggled when in reality, this a poorly constructed team with one NHL-level center and a surplus of bottom 6 forwards.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Absolutely mind-blowing that someone who claims to watch the games thinks 11 is why this team has struggled when in reality, this a poorly constructed team with one NHL-level center and a surplus of bottom 6 forwards.

Yeah, I don't get it. Everyone here is entitled to a strong opinion that they can fight until their fingers hurt from typing but this one I don't get. I am so tired of Parise at this point that I would be THRILLED to see some salvageable play from him considering his term left but I don't recall seeing it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he retired this summer (which he won't), wouldn't we actually save about 2.5M per year with the cap benefit being spread out over 4 years?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
According to this article, the penalty actually gets worse the closer to the end if he were to retire. Unless I don't understand the savings you mention.

How the cap recapture penalty could doom the Wild

Yeah I think it's under the "Parise and Suter Cap Penalties" header about halfway down. Their current cap advantage is 20M, and when they retire, the current cap advantage gets divided among the remaining seasons of the contract, not to exceed their real cap hit. So since they have four seasons left after this one, 20M gets divided by 4, for a 5M cap hit each year.

Next year the advantage only goes down to 18M, but the years left goes down to 3, so it's a 6M cap hit, and so forth.

So Parise retiring after this season would mean we'd only have to pay 5M of his cap hit, not 7.5M. That means if we were to replace him with an ELC player like Boldy, or a league minimum player, we'd still be saving almost 1.5M on the cap, and the team would probably be better for it.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->