Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
To me a #1 means a guy can maintain his level of play and play up to half the game as a D. Number 2 guy would be in that ballpark at 25ish minutes. Pionk isn’t there. When they upped his minutes both seasons so far he’s played worse. He’s good at 20 mins a night.

To me this puts a limit on Pionk’s value RE UFA years. You can maybe get up to $5 mil a season as a complementary piece but if we go much higher than that the contract will hurt us.

There are only 8 defenceman that average over 25 mins a game over the past three seasons. At your definition, there would be only a handful of #1s and a few #2s in the league.

I think it’s indisputable that Pionk has been a top 30 defenceman this season. Elite offence, average defence. Will he keep up this level of play? Hard to say. Sometimes we forget he is younger than Morrissey though.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think with a Vezina goalie and the great forwards we have a super high end expensive D is not really necessary or practical at this time. But we do need depth. Significantly more. Heinola and Samberg will help but another piece would help greatly. A Pesce or Ryan Pulock would be ideal. However they are very difficult to obtain as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
can that be produced over two seasons? doesn't look very reliable at 100 minutes of TOI or so.
Over last season and this, Pionk's total xGAR ranks him at around #44 overall Ong D, ahead of players like Pulock and Heiskanen, but lower than players like Makar, Pietrangelo, etc.

My take is that Pionk might have a similar impact as players like Spurgeon or Ellis as a best case scenario. If Samberg or Heinola pan out as strong top 4 options, Pionk can be part of an effective top pairing.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There are only 8 defenceman that average over 25 mins a game over the past three seasons. At your definition, there would be only a handful of #1s and a few #2s in the league.

I think it’s indisputable that Pionk has been a top 30 defenceman this season. Elite offence, average defence. Will he keep up this level of play? Hard to say. Sometimes we forget he is younger than Morrissey though.

Yeah there aren’t many legit #1’s. That’s my point and why our D has become quite underrated. Sort of like NFL starting QB’s. There’s about 10 guys who are difference makers and the rest you are hoping they don’t hurt you but there’s 32 guys who are “NFL starting quarterbacks” literally...there aren’t 32 who are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Kindergarteners are onto something.

Or on something. :nod:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Adam da bomb

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
We need a big unit to partner JoMo until Samberg is ready. Doesn't have to be some crazy 8x8 contract that runs till the guy is 40 and cripples the franchise for a generation. Just an upgrade over Poolman/Demelo.
I'd rather a 1st for a rental than riding it out this year then screwing ourselves over for the next 8 years when by all accounts Samberg should be right there ready to go.
Samberg and Heinola will both be ready for the playoffs this season.

Reactions: Fan and jgimp

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
With the 2021 draft looking like it may not be pushed back a year due to player retention concerns, this year, more than ever, am I the most comfortable with moving our 1st for some legit D help. If that D is legit and has term, I say you see how the season plays out and maybe leave Demelo exposed and call it a day. Samberg and Heinola, at this part of the season - most likely won't be major players on our blue line, especially given Paul's reluctance to take 88 out of the lineup.
Sure the expansion draft complicates things, but I think it comes down to two options. 1 - play it safe and shelter ourselves the best we can for the draft or 2 - add a significant piece for a run (if we continue our pace here). So are we more concerned with giving ourselves the best possible chance to win? or are we more concerned about the expansion draft?
I have the confidence that our scouting staff could find a gem in the 2nd-4th round given the lack of hockey played the past now two seasons for prospects.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
With the 2021 draft looking like it may not be pushed back a year due to player retention concerns, this year, more than ever, am I the most comfortable with moving our 1st for some legit D help. If that D is legit and has term, I say you see how the season plays out and maybe leave Demelo exposed and call it a day. Samberg and Heinola, at this part of the season - most likely won't be major players on our blue line, especially given Paul's reluctance to take 88 out of the lineup.
Sure the expansion draft complicates things, but I think it comes down to two options. 1 - play it safe and shelter ourselves the best we can for the draft or 2 - add a significant piece for a run (if we continue our pace here). So are we more concerned with giving ourselves the best possible chance to win? or are we more concerned about the expansion draft?
I have the confidence that our scouting staff could find a gem in the 2nd-4th round given the lack of hockey played the past now two seasons for prospects.
Last I looked we are winning.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Is Poolman’s age(27) now a worry for him? The Jets have 4, possibly 5 younger defencemen who will be looking to crack the lineup soon.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
wonder how long we'll run PLD at LW for. I was wondering if we might trade for another top 6 RW at the TDL, however, if PLD is on the Wing for this year, it might not matter.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
wonder how long we'll run PLD at LW for. I was wondering if we might trade for another top 6 RW at the TDL, however, if PLD is on the Wing for this year, it might not matter.
Just listened to PoMo on a podcast recorded Wednesday. He basically said until it stopped working. Hinted at swapping PLD and Stats

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Just listened to PoMo on a podcast recorded Wednesday. He basically said until it stopped working. Hinted at swapping PLD and Stats

I think its all about winning right now. Which is why you likely don't see Beaulieu out of the lineup. I am kind of liking our top 3 lines anyways

My priority would be getting a D that stablize our top 4 and not be just a rental. Would it be worth it to get a Brent Burns here?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think its all about winning right now. Which is why you likely don't see Beaulieu out of the lineup. I am kind of liking our top 3 lines anyways

My priority would be getting a D that stablize our top 4 and not be just a rental. Would it be worth it to get a Brent Burns here?
Burns would be a lot of fun, but that contract looks bad. Maybe if SJ retains $1.5M an the acquisition cost is low. The Jets are in a "win now mode if they can solve the top of their D rotation. Interestingly, based on shot metrics Burns has a similar but more extreme pattern to Trouba, with an emphasis on shot generation over prevention. Burns historically also has a big positive impact on goal differentials.

Meanwhile, Maurice won't change a winning lineup unless he has to, but getting Beaulieu out of the rotation, and especially the top-4 has to be a priority.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

What about Savard from CBJ? Opposite to Burns in profile, but effective.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Burns would be a lot of fun, but that contract looks bad. Maybe if SJ retains $1.5M an the acquisition cost is low. The Jets are in a "win now mode if they can solve the top of their D rotation.

Meanwhile, Maurice won't change a winning lineup unless he has to, but getting Beaulieu out of the rotation, and especially the top-4 has to be a priority.

First problem with Burns is he has a NTC so he could Veto us and likely does anyway. I think his short term value would be pretty high for us as he is essentially a Buff like D. If he did come by the time his contract is over we are likely entering a rebuild of some type anyways. I just don't see him wanting to come here.

There are some guys with 2 or 3 years that might be come here. A name I hear that is on the block is Giordano. His performances though have been bad but a change of team might be good for him. Ekholm is another guy that is likely available but they need to get the quarantine sorted out.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I would be scared of Burns contract. 4 more years at 8 million per from 36 to 39 isn't one I'd ideally want to take on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
First problem with Burns is he has a NTC so he could Veto us and likely does anyway. I think his short term value would be pretty high for us as he is essentially a Buff like D. If he did come by the time his contract is over we are likely entering a rebuild of some type anyways. I just don't see him wanting to come here.

There are some guys with 2 or 3 years that might be come here. A name I hear that is on the block is Giordano. His performances though have been bad but a change of team might be good for him. Ekholm is another guy that is likely available but they need to get the quarantine sorted out.
With Samberg and Heinola developing fast, I'd be much more interested in a RD. That's unless Samberg can stick at RD and play at a high level. I'd still like to see Samberg with Morrissey and Heinola with DeMelo. I'm still not sold on Forbort as a top-4 D, either.

Reactions: WiscoJet

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
We should be able to keep both Copp and Lowry, if we let Stats and Perreault walk, unless they are looking for longer term deals. Signing anyone else will require some finagling.

I don't see how there's any possibility we keep Lowry assuming the min he get is 4x4 without moving Perfetti to wing or in a trade for D... you can't pay your 4th line C 4m+. I think you give Stasny 1x5 or 2x4 as a Perfetti stop gap to play 3c depending on if Perfetti looks 1 or 2 years away end of season

Reactions: GeorgeJETson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad