Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Who would we get rid of so we can sign Hamilton?

I don’t see how the Jets can sign Hamilton for 9 million without losing some decent/good players.

obviously it is possible but I don’t see it happening without severely weakening our forward group over the next two years to make it happen.
I’d move on from Thompson

Reactions: hn777

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why would Carolina not just sign him. They will even so what's the point in the Hamilton talk. Is it from the ppl who wanted him over scheif in 2011? I don't think he makes ufa and if he does I don't think the Jets touch him.

Yeah all signs point to both Carolina and Dougie wanting to continue on together. They have $28m in space to sign some depth guys and prospects, Svechnikov, their goalies and Hamilton. I'm guessing Hamilton and Svechnikov are priorities #1 and 2. The owner seems willing to spend still so it's all going to come down to when he signs I think. Likely after playoffs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Thompson is a drop in the bucket. He only makes 750k. We'd be looking at moving on from much bigger fish. Perreault is likely already gone. We'd likely have to let Stats walk as well. Though that's a trade I make all day every day. The reality is the chances Hamilton doesn't sign with the Canes and then decides to sign with us among the plethora of other teams makes it a pipe dream scenario. Obviously if he hits the market you give it your best shot. I'm just not confident in him signing here even if he does. He'll have suitors lining up around the block to sign him, provided they have the space. Some will sign him and then figure out a way to make space.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Getting a #1D....especially RHD just seems like chasing a white whale. I know we can combat that with running three competent pairs eventually, when you include Samberg and Heinola. Forcing JOMO to play with Poolman/Beaulieu is borderline malpractice in my opinion.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
That wouldn’t save any money.

Im assuming Perrault is gone after this year, resigning Stastny wouldn’t be possible and I’d imagine either the Jets let Lowry walk or trade Copp.

then without really crunching the numbers I’d think they would be able to afford Hamilton then PLD’s raise the year after.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That wouldn’t save any money.

Im assuming Perrault is gone after this year, resigning Stastny wouldn’t be possible and I’d imagine either the Jets let Lowry walk or trade Copp.

then without really crunching the numbers I’d think they would be able to afford Hamilton then PLD’s raise the year after.

We should be able to keep both Copp and Lowry, if we let Stats and Perreault walk, unless they are looking for longer term deals. Signing anyone else will require some finagling.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Right now it looks like the Jets have two #2-3 dmen in Morrisey and Pionk, realistically they could look at a #1LD or RD. I know the prospect pool is deep on the left, but is there a #1LD there? If so, probably not in the next 2-3 years, just thinking a stop gap #1LD could also be an option. Maybe someone like Murray from NJD might be a fit, but not sure he is a #1, probably another #2-3.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Right now it looks like the Jets have two #2-3 dmen in Morrisey and Pionk, realistically they could look at a #1LD or RD. I know the prospect pool is deep on the left, but is there a #1LD there? If so, probably not in the next 2-3 years, just thinking a stop gap #1LD could also be an option. Maybe someone like Murray from NJD might be a fit, but not sure he is a #1, probably another #2-3.

Top guys don't sign stopgap contracts in UFA.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Top guys don't sign stopgap contracts in UFA.
Agreed, but if you end up with too many high end d, as the young guys develop, it’s not a bad problem to have. Also a #1 today is not always a #1 in 3 years, pending age and style of play. More what I was thinking as a “stopgap”.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There are very very few what I call true number 1 guys out there. Think Victor Hedman. How many guys have his qualities. Size, skill, production and 2 way play.

There are a lot of guys that are top 2 guys. We have 2 guys who I think are top 2 guys with Morrissey and Pionk. But they lack size to make them a true number 1 guy.

There are guys like Hedman,Makar,Sergachev,Jones,McAvoy,Chychrun,Ekblad,Theodore,Chabot and Hamilton but really only Hamilton is available via UFA and he will cost a lot. Most of the guys listed are young and no team is trading them. Doughty is another guy but I don't think that contract is tradeable. Burns is another guy but do you want him at that age for that long and would he even move here?

You look at say more top 4 types like Manson,Pesce,Lindholm,Severson etc..

It really sucked when Buff decided to retire but that is the card we were dealt.

Reactions: Fastfrde

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
There are very very few what I call true number 1 guys out there. Think Victor Hedman. How many guys have his qualities. Size, skill, production and 2 way play.

There are a lot of guys that are top 2 guys. We have 2 guys who I think are top 2 guys with Morrissey and Pionk. But they lack size to make them a true number 1 guy.

There are guys like Hedman,Makar,Sergachev,Jones,McAvoy,Chychrun,Ekblad,Theodore,Chabot and Hamilton but really only Hamilton is available via UFA and he will cost a lot. Most of the guys listed are young and no team is trading them. Doughty is another guy but I don't think that contract is tradeable. Burns is another guy but do you want him at that age for that long and would he even move here?

You look at say more top 4 types like Manson,Pesce,Lindholm,Severson etc..

It really sucked when Buff decided to retire but that is the card we were dealt.
I disagree about Pionk... he’s not a top 2. More like a top 4.
As for a #1 D, I don’t think we have any chance of acquiring one.... they are almost always drafted and developed.
When I say 1RHD, I don’t mean an RHD #1 D, I mean a 1st pairing RHD...ie: Parayko, Pulock
I’d like Pesce, but I’m not sure that he’s really a big enough step up from what we have.
Hamilton would be a good stop gap add while Samberg develops.

I’d be very interested to know what St. Louis would want for Parayko?

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
We need a big unit to partner JoMo until Samberg is ready. Doesn't have to be some crazy 8x8 contract that runs till the guy is 40 and cripples the franchise for a generation. Just an upgrade over Poolman/Demelo.
I'd rather a 1st for a rental than riding it out this year then screwing ourselves over for the next 8 years when by all accounts Samberg should be right there ready to go.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Agreed, but if you end up with too many high end d, as the young guys develop, it’s not a bad problem to have. Also a #1 today is not always a #1 in 3 years, pending age and style of play. More what I was thinking as a “stopgap”.

That's true, but that just means the #1 today will look to be paid like a #1, or they're already on a #1 D level contract.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
As for a #1 D, I don’t think we have any chance of acquiring one.... they are almost always drafted and developed.
When I say 1RHD, I don’t mean an RHD #1 D, I mean a 1st pairing RHD...ie: Parayko, Pulock
I’d like Pesce, but I’m not sure that he’s really a big enough step up from what we have.

A top 2 guy in the NHL just means he one of the 62 best defenceman in the NHL. Is pionk that? I’d say so. His offence is top end and he’s been decent defensively this year.

5v5 p/60
Pionk - 1.31
Makar - 1.23

Reactions: voyageur

Whileee

May 29, 2010

FWIW
upload_2021-2-25_10-41-12.png

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

His numbers and ice time disagree with you. The only thing he lacks is size. Both guys you listed are playing roughly the same TOI and putting up less numbers then Pionk. The guy by every metric is screaming top 2 if he was 6'4 220 pounds we wouldn't be talking about what he is. He is just lacking a partner(not that Forbort has been bad) but a partner that can enhance what he is currently getting moves them up to a top pairing. Ekblad plays with Weegar a guy the Jets tried to get. Why? Because they would have partnered him with Pionk. Weegar is IMO would be an upgrade on Forbort.

Its likely the Jets think they have guys that can set in soon to those roles though. I think they believe that next year they can run Heinola and Smaberg out there especially with both guys playing big minutes in the AHL right now. From what I have seen of them both they could be in our lineup right now.

Parayko/Pulock would be great but why would either team move them. Its likely the Blues just run Parayko contract out as they believe they are in a window to win again and Pulock is more interesting he would be entering a prime UFA period for him to earn a huge contract. Would the Islanders trade him this year, unlikely but I could see them moving him next year

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
His numbers and ice time disagree with you. The only thing he lacks is size. Both guys you listed are playing roughly the same TOI and putting up less numbers then Pionk. The guy by every metric is screaming top 2 if he was 6'4 220 pounds we wouldn't be talking about what he is. He is just lacking a partner(not that Forbort has been bad) but a partner that can enhance what he is currently getting moves them up to a top pairing. Ekblad plays with Weegar a guy the Jets tried to get. Why? Because they would have partnered him with Pionk. Weegar is IMO would be an upgrade on Forbort.

Its likely the Jets think they have guys that can set in soon to those roles though. I think they believe that next year they can run Heinola and Smaberg out there especially with both guys playing big minutes in the AHL right now. From what I have seen of them both they could be in our lineup right now.

Parayko/Pulock would be great but why would either team move them. Its likely the Blues just run Parayko contract out as they believe they are in a window to win again and Pulock is more interesting he would be entering a prime UFA period for him to earn a huge contract. Would the Islanders trade him this year, unlikely but I could see them moving him next year
Last year he had great numbers and this year he’s looking good, But before that?
I just don’t have faith that Pionk can hold this pace..... if I’m wrong, great, Jets win.... but I don’t think I am.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
That's true, but that just means the #1 today will look to be paid like a #1, or they're already on a #1 D level contract.
Good point and really not sure I would want to block the young prospects long term either. Probably a mute point as I really don’t see a path to a true #1 anyway, meaning a path I would want to take. I still think a team could go a long way with two top pairings of #2-#3 guys, just need one or two more of those, which we hope are in the pipeline.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
To me a #1 means a guy can maintain his level of play and play up to half the game as a D. Number 2 guy would be in that ballpark at 25ish minutes. Pionk isn’t there. When they upped his minutes both seasons so far he’s played worse. He’s good at 20 mins a night.

To me this puts a limit on Pionk’s value RE UFA years. You can maybe get up to $5 mil a season as a complementary piece but if we go much higher than that the contract will hurt us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad