Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
JMO, but the only way Wheeler waives his NMC, would be to fire Maurice first and have Seattle hire him as their coach.
And then wheeler and mo would go in a packaged deal. Probably also with schief. By that I mean not likely at all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They won't ask Wheeler to waive. They will likely protect

Wheeler
Scheif
Ehlers
Dubois
Connor
Copp
Appleton

Wouldn't shock me to see them trade Harkins in a deal for a D man. Hate to lose him but if he gets us a quality D that we can protect next year it will be worth it
Do they leave Lowry unprotected and try to sign him as a UFA?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think that's an oversimplification. It's not only about today's #3 vs #8, it's about the future. Yes, #3 is signed for three more years, but he's also much older than #8 and #8 has presumably not reached his potential yet. There's also salary and salary cap implications to consider. #8's value is increased due to his age and his next contract earnings being far lower than #3.

For me, there are merits to protecting both guys, and there are merits to exposing both guys. At this point in the season, it's a toss up, but we're not quite half way though the season. Stanley may not play another game this year and be demoted to the Moose, or he may play and play terribly, lowering his internal value, while DeMelo could return to form and become the solid #3 we hoped for when we re-signed him. There are many variables to consider, it's not just simply #3 vs #8.

Yes lots of variables but it’s pretty simple to me. If they are protecting Stanley it is an emotional decision to a pick they made. He’s 3rd pairing at best and guys like him are abundant. He’s about to be passed by 3-4 prospects on the Jets depth chart in the next couple seasons. I like him on the 3rd pair but it would be insane to protect him as one of our top 3 D. If that’s even a thought we should be moving heaven and earth to make a trade for someone another team will have to expose that is worth protecting at this deadline.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Yes lots of variables but it’s pretty simple to me. If they are protecting Stanley it is an emotional decision to a pick they made. He’s 3rd pairing at best and guys like him are abundant. He’s about to be passed by 3-4 prospects on the Jets depth chart in the next couple seasons. I like him on the 3rd pair but it would be insane to protect him as one of our top 3 D. If that’s even a thought we should be moving heaven and earth to make a trade for someone another team will have to expose that is worth protecting at this deadline.
I don't think it would be insane at all to protect a young cost controlled asset instead of an older, more expensive player. At this point this season, Stanley has played well enough to remove himself from the afterthought pile as far as protection slots go. And, IMO, DeMelo has not been good. I understand what he's been up to early in the year and expect him to continue to be better, but I don't believe that choosing Stanley over DeMelo is "insane", it's a viable option. That will likely change as the season progresses, I do expect DeMelo to earn that 3rd protection slot, but right now it's not a guarantee.

I do, however, agree that we should be trying to acquire a better option for that 3rd slot. If that's Ekholm, fine. I'd protect him over DeMelo and Stanley. Who knows, maybe it'll be Drew Doughty or Brent Burns even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad