Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Serious question. I know that the Jets and Blue Jackets worked the cross border trade (early in the season) but do you guys really think that any Canadian team is going to make a trade with an American team this far into the season given current covid restrictions?

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am just thinking out loud here but I have to wonder if Niku is in the line up either as a trade showcase or conditioning for a trade. Stanley was playing quite well so I am curious as to the reasoning behind Niku going in.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I am just thinking out loud here but I have to wonder if Niku is in the line up either as a trade showcase or conditioning for a trade. Stanley was playing quite well so I am curious as to the reasoning behind Niku going in.
I just assumed it was to clam down the finish tweeters.

Reactions: Pongs21

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

Maurice has talked many times about not wanting players to sit for too long this year, and in a season like this when you may need to play 8-9 defensemen over the season it makes sense to get him into a few games to make sure he isn't too rusty.

Reactions: RustyCat

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't believe "trade showcases" are a thing unless it's clearly a bad team playing a guy close to the trade deadline - I don't think a team in a playoff spot/race icing what they've obviously thought as a weaker player just to show him off. I think it's just Niku getting a shot while Poolman is on his 27th injury.

Remember when we were worried Poolman wouldn't sign and stay in college until he was a free agent?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Serious question. I know that the Jets and Blue Jackets worked the cross border trade (early in the season) but do you guys really think that any Canadian team is going to make a trade with an American team this far into the season given current covid restrictions?
I honestly don't see why they wouldn't. If they don't ship out a roster player then it's not like they've made their team any worse while they're waiting for the player(s) to finish quarantine and then they've ideally made their team better for when games matter the most.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You'd think it would happen sooner than later to account for that

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Never would send that for Ekblad
1RHD solved.

JMo Ekblad
Slamberg Poink
Stanley Poolman
Boolow/Niku

We can afford to give up Heinola with our depth at LHD.
Copper's spot would be filled by Apples and someone (Harkins?) would play in Apples' role. A 1st is hard to give up and DD is so they get a RHD back.
I don't think Chevy would do this deal either but I would.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We should be able to keep both Copp and Lowry, if we let Stats and Perreault walk, unless they are looking for longer term deals. Signing anyone else will require some finagling.

People are assuming that MP and Stastny would be expensive to keep. I don't think their current contracts provide a yardstick to what they would cost next year. Marleau and Thornton are still older, but their current contracts are a better indicator of what MP and Stats will cost next year. Think < 2.5 mil for the pair. There won't be a lineup of teams bidding for their services.

Reactions: RabidOne

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
People are assuming that MP and Stastny would be expensive to keep. I don't think their current contracts provide a yardstick to what they would cost next year. Marleau and Thornton are still older, but their current contracts are a better indicator of what MP and Stats will cost next year. Think < 2.5 mil for the pair. There won't be a lineup of teams bidding for their services.

I would agree that Stastny could be cheaper than Lowry. And as much as Lowry has had a good start to the year, and been a loyal Jet, I really want to see him move on next season or sooner. Then have Copp center line 3 or Stastny if the price is right. Having never really seen much of Vesalainen playing before this year I wouldn’t have thought much of moving him. But watching him this year I feel like he’s really gonna turn into something and I’d like to see him get an opportunity with a more offensive Center.

Reactions: RabidOne and JetsUK

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I thi k MP moves on. For some guys just getting the playing time is all they want. I think he moves on to a team that he has a good shot at playing in their top 6.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
1RHD solved.

JMo Ekblad
Slamberg Poink
Stanley Poolman
Boolow/Niku

We can afford to give up Heinola with our depth at LHD.
Copper's spot would be filled by Apples and someone (Harkins?) would play in Apples' role. A 1st is hard to give up and DD is so they get a RHD back.
I don't think Chevy would do this deal either but I would.
Thank goodness Chevy is driving the boat.. No way would I give that much up

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would agree that Stastny could be cheaper than Lowry. And as much as Lowry has had a good start to the year, and been a loyal Jet, I really want to see him move on next season or sooner. Then have Copp center line 3 or Stastny if the price is right. Having never really seen much of Vesalainen playing before this year I wouldn’t have thought much of moving him. But watching him this year I feel like he’s really gonna turn into something and I’d like to see him get an opportunity with a more offensive Center.
Lowry was the best Jet in the playins last year.
He was the best player in the Ducks' series and he was very good in the conference finals run and against St. Louis.
The guy is built for the playoffs and I can't really see the Jets moving on from him.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Maybe to get his 10+ games in to be XD qualified?
Or his he the best offensively skilled Dman we have next in line ( who isn't a rookie)?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
With the Jets great start to the season so far (4th OA in the NHL on % of points), you have to think Chevy is thinking about upgrading our D. Our forward core is the best it's ever been, goalies are playing well........just need to improve our D.

Reactions: KingBogo

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Lowry was the best Jet in the playins last year.
He was the best player in the Ducks' series and he was very good in the conference finals run and against St. Louis.
The guy is built for the playoffs and I can't really see the Jets moving on from him.
So that's 8 playoff games, 7 of which we lost, what about the other 23 he's played? Paying a premium on a player because they're perceived to be good in the playoffs backfires a lot more than it doesn't. More often than not it's a hot stretch and then a false narrative takes hold.

EDIT: Fun fact, including the 8 games that you cited where Lowry had 6 points, he's scored at a lower rate in the playoffs than he has in the regular season.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With the Jets great start to the season so far (4th OA in the NHL on % of points), you have to think Chevy is thinking about upgrading our D. Our forward core is the best it's ever been, goalies are playing well........just need to improve our D.
our Defense would improve with a couple internal moves. idk how the trade market will be at the TDL, here's the UFA 2021 list for Dmen for potential targets if teams are selling

2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So that's 8 playoff games, 7 of which we lost, what about the other 23 he's played? Paying a premium on a player because they're perceived to be good in the playoffs backfires a lot more than it doesn't. More often than not it's a hot stretch and then a false narrative takes hold.

EDIT: Fun fact, including the 8 games that you cited where Lowry had 6 points, he's scored at a lower rate in the playoffs than he has in the regular season.
You misunderstood or misread me.
He has played well in ALL of the playoff games and scoring isn't everything, especially in the playoffs.
10.8m over 3 years should do it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You misunderstood or misread me.
He has played well in ALL of the playoff games and scoring isn't everything, especially in the playoffs.
10.8m over 3 years should do it.
Scoring isn't everything but you're the one that decided to highlight only the 8 games where 67% of his playoff points came from.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Scoring isn't everything but you're the one that decided to highlight only the 8 games where 67% of his playoff points came from.
Again, you misunderstood or misread me...I think he has been great in all the playoff games and one of our best players.
It was you that mentioned points, I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad