Speculation: Trade Deadline Rumors/Speculation Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is Miller really better than Dell at this point?

I'd say so but I don't think he can hold up as a starter the rest of the way though. Swapping out Dell, provided they find a home for him elsewhere, for Miller makes sense for their plans next year and would at least indicate to me that they have a solid idea on where Karlsson stands with them.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Miller's save percentage above expected is 0.493% this year and it was 0.574% last year. Both were higher than Gibson's. As a starter in Vancouver, he was at -0.102% in 2016-2017 and -0.033% in 2015-2016. This season, Martin Jones' save percentage above expected is -0.633% and Aaron Dell's is -0.69%.

That's not to say that Miller will steal the starting role from Jones, but he will provide some solid insurance and a definite upgrade on Dell. And he has never been as bad as Jones has been this season.

I'm curious to see what our goalie expert, @Bleedred thinks of this.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
From the Sportsnet Live Blog (bold mine):

"The market has really ground to a halt on a lot of these other guys because of what's happened at the top level," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman said Tuesday. "So you’ve got a lot of teams waiting for the top three for it to sort out with them: Panarin, Duchene and Stone, and everyone else is kind of stuck until that happens.

"I think there's teams like San Jose who are in on those guys and maybe they’re trying to vulture them for less because there's a big poker game right now, but every time I ask about one of the secondary guys I get told everybody's waiting. So unless I think someone steps up and says I'm determined I have to get one of those guys, I think it's likely the other guys go first."

So, it sounds like DW IS in on one of the Big Three? But is just playing chicken betting that the market is depressed enough that no one is going to definitively beat his offer? Who would he most likely be after? Gotta be Stone, right? Perfect fit, makes EK65 happy, since apparently they're really good friends, etc. What do you guys think?

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
From the Sportsnet Live Blog (bold mine):

So, it sounds like DW IS in on one of the Big Three? But is just playing chicken betting that the market is depressed enough that no one is going to definitively beat his offer? Who would he most likely be after? Gotta be Stone, right? Perfect fit, makes EK65 happy, since apparently they're really good friends, etc. What do you guys think?

As good as DW is, I don't see him landing a big fish with the competition that will be out there for those guys. Yes he's done it many times but I wouldn't count on it. Doesn't mean he won't try though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Miller's save percentage above expected is 0.493% this year and it was 0.574% last year. Both were higher than Gibson's. As a starter in Vancouver, he was at -0.102% in 2016-2017 and -0.033% in 2015-2016. This season, Martin Jones' save percentage above expected is -0.633% and Aaron Dell's is -0.69%.

That's not to say that Miller will steal the starting role from Jones, but he will provide some solid insurance and a definite upgrade on Dell. And he has never been as bad as Jones has been this season.

I'm curious to see what our goalie expert, @Bleedred thinks of this.
I think Miller probably wouldn't have these types of numbers if he were a starter. He's like the reverse version of guys like Rask, Schneider, Talbot, (or even Jones in LA, although he also had one bad season there too) who put up really good numbers (high .920's% and low .930's%) as backups then level out a bit as starters. Still good, but not ungodly anymore. I think that's what Miller is doing right now.

Either way, he might be an upgrade over Dell (it's hard to say when he'd only be here for a little over a month of regular season play) at the very least. We've seen even mediocre goalies like James Reimer play great for a very small stretch between the deadline and the end of the regular season. He could also be bad, just because it will be a random small sample start.

I'd roll the dice. It just sucks that the two guys we should be targeting are on LA and Anaheim, so they may whack Doug for more than they'd otherwise be worth. I'd also be alright with Howard, but ONLY if he's cheap. f*** getting a 1st round pick for him, Holland's out of his mind with that.

I know Dell hasn't been good either, but a few good games in a row from him can push him up quite a bit in save percentage. Jones has played so many games, that even if he were .920% goalie the rest of the way, he'd still only have a .903% if he were to play 17 more games. They should have rolled the dive and seen if Dell could help out a bit more.

Bottom line is that even with the barely average Jones of 16-17, this team is leading the West by a whole lot. Even Jones at .905% on the season and there's a few point lead on Calgary right now. I'm skeptical that Jones would even outplay a very fatigued Fleury in the first round right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA