Speculation: Trade Deadline Rumors/Speculation Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I wouldn't mind Miller depending on the cost. He should be cheaper than Howard or Bob but it's a division rival so who knows. Miller is not a starter anymore but he could still be good in short doses. But if Jones falls apart or gets injured in the playoffs I can't see Miller taking us to the promised land.

I totally agree. For a 3rd rounder, Miller is worth the risk. Maybe behind this team, Miller delivers passable goal-tending in the playoffs. That's all this team needs to win a cup and Jones and Dell simply are not delivering.

The only team that scares me is Vegas. This Sharks team can go toe-to-toe with Boston and Tampa. I think they handle Toronto if they decide to play defense. I think the biggest challenge will be getting out of the division. Calgary will be a tough series that the Sharks should win, but if they get past Vegas, I think the Sharks play for a cup. Nashville and Winnipeg, to me, are overrated. Neither of those teams are great 5 on 5.

The fourth line has been ineffective for most of the season for the Sharks. I will consider this deadline a failure if a scoring winger is not added to this roster. This team needs all the scoring they can get to beat Vegas and they need a 4th line to beat Vegas. Does Radil play center? Otherwise True deserves a shot because no one else on the Cuda are ready for the job. I think the roster is full with Haley so people need to be moved out for trades to happen.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Miller is fine as a replacement for Dell, but they still need a replacement for Jones.
Okay, so who is it? With the assets available, who is available to be a starter? Bobrovsky? Having a bad year. Howard? Going to cost way too much. It’s really easy to get on a soap box and point out problems but go show me how you actually solve it.

The only hope is that Jones figures it out because there aren’t any available options that are actual upgrades and don’t prohibit you from adding a top 9 forward and 4th line help.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Okay, so who is it? With the assets available, who is available to be a starter? Bobrovsky? Having a bad year. Howard? Going to cost way too much. It’s really easy to get on a soap box and point out problems but go show me how you actually solve it.

The only hope is that Jones figures it out because there aren’t any available options that are actual upgrades and don’t prohibit you from adding a top 9 forward and 4th line help.

a top 9 forward and/or 4th line help isn't gonna make a god damn bit of difference when your starter is putting up sub-.900 sv% games on a consistent basis.

Yes Bobrovsky and Howard are both better then Jones. No they're not gonna cost anywhere near what you think they will. The last starter that was traded at the deadline was Ben Bishop, a goalie MUCH better than any of the previous three I mentioned and he cost a career AHLer and a 4th round pick.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
a top 9 forward and/or 4th line help isn't gonna make a god damn bit of difference when your starter is putting up sub-.900 sv% games on a consistent basis.

Yes Bobrovsky and Howard are both better then Jones. No they're not gonna cost anywhere near what you think they will.
When has trading for a starting goalie mid season ever worked out for a contender? Even for ones that are having stellar seasons (which neither of Bobrovsky or Howard are having in the slightest), when does it work? Odds are much better that Jones finds his form than it is that paying for Howard/Bobrovsky and getting them integrated as the starter works out successfully.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
What would you guys think of Labanc + Chmelevski for Stone?

Seems like an overpayment to me but probably what it takes.
They're going into a rebuild and will definitely need a veteran with a lot of character to teach their young prospects the pro life rather than a young roster player still adjusting to the NHL grind. A veteran like Melker Karlsson would be more valuable to them than Labanc. Also, helps them reach the cap floor. If they shed Stone and Duchene, that drops then to ~$59m. So they may actually need to look into additional cap.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
When has trading for a starting goalie mid season ever worked out for a contender? Even for ones that are having stellar seasons (which neither of Bobrovsky or Howard are having in the slightest), when does it work? Odds are much better that Jones finds his form than it is that paying for Howard/Bobrovsky and getting them integrated as the starter works out successfully.
Jones has had plenty of time to work this out. I was his biggest fan until this year. He is just a mess, we need insurance, it's unfair to the rest of the team to make them depend on jones at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad