GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Unrealistic but fun trade idea:

To CHI: Garland, VAN 25 1st (maybe Liljegren added, not sure how much CHI values Jones)
To TOR: Jones, TOR 25 1st
To VAN: Rielly

To ANA: Robertson
To TOR: TOR 25 3rd

Offer sheet: Harley 6.4Mx3 (25 1st, 25 3rd)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
People forget how terrible Bertuzzi was for the first 3 or so months. He was unlucky a bit but overall he struggled and got benched/demoted through those months. Maybe a new coach can unlock something there but I see no reason to keep Bertuzzi unless he takes a significant paycut.
Agreed... high energy, effort guy... with mediocre skill, and often poor decision making. I'd love to have him at something around $3 mil or less... but certainly not whatever he's asking. Best to move on.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
People forget how terrible Bertuzzi was for the first 3 or so months. He was unlucky a bit but overall he struggled and got benched/demoted through those months. Maybe a new coach can unlock something there but I see no reason to keep Bertuzzi unless he takes a significant paycut.
He put up 9G/5A (all EV) in 18GP after Marner went down when Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi started. That was enough of a sample for people to dream on. Likewise Domi put up 2G/13A (all EV) in 17GP after that line was created.

Bertuzzi was also directly responsible for the Leafs only goal in game 7.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Montour would be an incredible get because he's one of those skilled offensive defensemen who has grit on top of it. Thats the type of players Treliving wants.

I see Montour as the main target. Matt Roy as the backup target.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He put up 9G/5A (all EV) in 18GP after Marner went down when Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi started. That was enough of a sample for people to dream on. Likewise Domi put up 2G/13A (all EV) in 17GP after that line was created.

He's not a bad player but I think he showed how inconsistent he is and sometimes just makes baffling decisions. Committing important cap space into Bertuzzi would be a puzzling decision.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Examples of recent trade and signs (extension done within days, unsigned RFA or 1 year from UFA only)
  • Turris for Girard, Kamenev, 2nd
  • *Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2nd
  • Pacioretty for Suzuki, Tatar, 2nd
  • Debrincat for 1st, 4th, Kubalik, Sebrango
  • Dubois of Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, 2nd
  • *Meier+5th (and stuff) for 1st, 2nd, 7th, Zetterlund, Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk
  • *Horvat for 1st, Beauvillier, Raty
  • Tkachuk for Huberdeau, Weegar, 1st
  • *Lindholm for 1st, 2nd, 2nd, Vaakanainen, Moore
* denotes deadline(ish) trade
And after July 1st; he basically plays for free for the other team. I don’t think that was the case in those other deals.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He's not a bad player but I think he showed how inconsistent he is and sometimes just makes baffling decisions. Committing important cap space into Bertuzzi would be a puzzling decision.
I see both sides. Committing 5-6M to a 40 point player is a poor decision. Committing 5-6M to a player you expect to play on your top line and score 30G/60P would be a sound decision. It depends which Bertuzzi you believe you're getting.

Committing anything beyond 4 years would be a bad decision.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Per Friedman this morning

Leafs wanted best available dman for Nylander a year ago, ask will be the same for Marner. Teams will be starting to talk to Leafs about him, draft mentioned as important timeframe.

Leafs talked to Russian free agent forward Maxim Tsyplakov, he is expected to make decision soon

There are plenty of UFA D men available this year... Just get the best deal you can for Marner... we don't necessarily need a D man back in the deal, though I guess if we can get a high quality one, on a decent contract it's a bonus.

---------------------

What will Tysplakov even be at the NHL level? His new career high this year of 47 points, in 65 games, doubled his previous production, at age 25.... is that considered a "breakout"?

According to The Athletic’s Joshua Kloke, Toronto is among a handful of teams interested in top Maxim Tsyplakov, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound winger with Spartak Moskva. He’s having a breakthrough season, scoring a career-best 30 goals and 45 points in 58 games. For reference, he never had more than 25 points in a single KHL season, so the offensive explosion comes as a bit of a surprise.

Tsyplakov’s shooting percentage stands at 19.9 this season – far behind his previous best of 7.1 last year.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What will Tysplakov even be at the NHL level? His new career high this year of 47 points, in 65 games, doubled his previous production, at age 25.... is that considered a "breakout"?

According to The Athletic’s Joshua Kloke, Toronto is among a handful of teams interested in top Maxim Tsyplakov, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound winger with Spartak Moskva. He’s having a breakthrough season, scoring a career-best 30 goals and 45 points in 58 games. For reference, he never had more than 25 points in a single KHL season, so the offensive explosion comes as a bit of a surprise.

Tsyplakov’s shooting percentage stands at 19.9 this season – far behind his previous best of 7.1 last year.
If they do get him you would think Tre would need to prioritize bringing in a russian this off-season whether that is re-signing Lyubushkin or signing Zadorov.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Per Friedman this morning

Leafs wanted best available dman for Nylander a year ago, ask will be the same for Marner. Teams will be starting to talk to Leafs about him, draft mentioned as important timeframe.

Leafs talked to Russian free agent forward Maxim Tsyplakov, he is expected to make decision soon
Cant think of any top defenseman being available right now that would warrant Marner.

I agree with others here that Marner should be traded for the best package and then target some of the top D-man available in Free Agency

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I would build the defense first and we trade for a goaltender because Saros behind this defense won't be good.
Get assets for a dman.
Does this not suggest that our goalies are doing pretty well? Playing behind this defence and posting some solid numbers, if Saros might fail, does it not suggest that the issue is defence, not the goalie?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they do get him you would think Tre would need to prioritize bringing in a russian this off-season whether that is re-signing Lyubushkin or signing Zadorov.
I think Boosh is a guy we should extend. His cap hit won't be too high.. maybe $3 million, and IMO, he paired quite well with Morgan. It's not been easy to find a Rielly partner, and their pairing did quite well against Boston, and what was left in the regular season.

Of course, maybe we can upgrade further, but I'd hate to strike out, when we have a guy now who worked.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
How do people about this trade idea:

CBJ: Mitch Marner + Morgan Rielly

Toronto: Zach Werenski + Kent Johnson

Leafs get an upgrade in defence, a prospect with pedigree and about $8M in cap space.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
One cautionary tale in the Marner trade front.

Kadri. Traded because he repeatedly did something stupid in the postseason and team decided they just needed to move on.
Obviously different circumstances as his issue was the opposite of Marner. Too much heart and passion in the playoffs to the point of hurting the team.

But first trade was for Brodie and Jankowski that was turned down by Kadri then he ended up going to the Lanche for Barrie and Kerfoot.

End of the day keeping Kadri probably would have been the best play.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That would also worry me.

If Calgary had moved on from Huberdeau when they acquired him this deal would have been a slam dunk. He had a year left at 5.9M coming off 115 points.
Well that whole trade was basically replacing the lost UFAs/Stars and building a deeper team than 2022 flames who got murdered by 2022 Oilers

Gaudreau was a 80-90 pt player generally who would be replaced impact and production wise by Huberdeau.

Kadri coming off a 100 pt pace was expected to give 60-70 pts as a 2C and would bring physical play and ability to play with a lot of different type of wingers. He would replace 75% of Tkachuk impact and production

Weegar despite his flaws was a great #3D or quite good 2D. He would add to their already deep defense core and push them further.

At the time, I thought Flordia got fleeced. Huberdeau I thought had another 5 years of 80-90 pt play, Weegar half a decade of 40-50 pt play, a 1st as well and a low level prospect

Tkachuk I thought would be closer to 2024 level of play than 2023 (90ish pt guy vs 110ish pt guy) and didnt think hed be some impactful come playoffs

At the time of the trade, that might be the most value extracted by a single player who had asked out ever. Huberdeau falling off killed the flames along with the extension

Reactions: Duffman955

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Kadri. Traded because he repeatedly did something stupid in the postseason and team decided they just needed to move on.
Obviously different circumstances as his issue was the opposite of Marner. Too much heart and passion in the playoffs to the point of hurting the team.

But first trade was for Brodie and Jankowski that was turned down by Kadri then he ended up going to the Lanche for Barrie and Kerfoot.

On the other hand you have the Tkachuk/Huberdeau deal where Marner would be Huberdeau in this situation (high point totals, invisible in the playoffs, 1 year from UFA). I don't think anyone in Florida regrets giving up on Huberdeau despite his point totals possible never being matched again.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

We can't be afraid to trade Marner because of what happened to Kadri. They are two totally different situations.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Well that whole trade was basically replacing the lost UFAs/Stars and building a deeper team than 2022 flames who got murdered by 2022 Oilers

Gaudreau was a 80-90 pt player generally who would be replaced impact and production wise by Huberdeau.

Kadri coming off a 100 pt pace was expected to give 60-70 pts as a 2C and would bring physical play and ability to play with a lot of different type of wingers. He would replace 75% of Tkachuk impact and production

Weegar despite his flaws was a great #3D or quite good 2D. He would add to their already deep defense core and push them further.

At the time, I thought Flordia got fleeced. Huberdeau I thought had another 5 years of 80-90 pt play, Weegar half a decade of 40-50 pt play, a 1st as well and a low level prospect

Tkachuk I thought would be closer to 2024 level of play than 2023 (90ish pt guy vs 110ish pt guy) and didnt think hed be some impactful come playoffs

At the time of the trade, that might be the most value extracted by a single player who had asked out ever. Huberdeau falling off killed the flames along with the extension
Florida correctly identified that Huberdeau was a fraud. Zito knows what he's doing. Hopefully Toronto can do the same with their Huberdeau.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We can't be afraid to trade Marner because of what happened to Kadri. They are two totally different situations.
Exactly. We know the last 8 years. What if the trade not only brought in a couple of players that really helped the team but also made Matthews better in the playoffs.
Like what was Barkov doing before they retooled the team?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Exactly. We know the last 8 years. What if the trade not only brought in a couple of players that really helped the team but also made Matthews better in the playoffs.
Like what was Barkov doing before they retooled the team?
He was underwhelming in the playoffs, was what he was doing.

Reactions: Duffman955

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I see both sides. Committing 5-6M to a 40 point player is a poor decision. Committing 5-6M to a player you expect to play on your top line and score 30G/60P would be a sound decision. It depends which Bertuzzi you believe you're getting.

Committing anything beyond 4 years would be a bad decision.
He's 29 and put up 30/60 once in his career, his next 3 best seasons are 21G and 48/47/43 pts. He also has injury issues.

Anyone expecting 30/60 out of him going forward is a fool. Realistically anyone signing him needs to do so with 20/40 expectations. And even that requires you to take risk that he's able to stay healthy

Reactions: SprDaVE

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He's 29 and put up 30/60 once in his career, his next 3 best seasons are 21G and 48/47/43 pts. He also has injury issues.

Anyone expecting 30/60 out of him going forward is a fool. Realistically you need sign him with the 20/40 expectation. Abd even that requires you to take risk that he's able to stay healthy
As I mentioned earlier - he paced 40G/65P at ES in 18 games alongside Matthews and Domi. The question is whether or not you believe that production can be duplicated and he can be a fit there. There was clear chemistry and if you're bringing back Domi why try to replicate a known commodity.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad