Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Very excited about this signing. Top 50 in NHL scoring for D last year and his playoff numbers look solid. Predicting and instant fan favorite.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You joking? The Bruins just set a horrible prescident giving up legit value for the Rangers trash. They won't even have to trade McDonaugh now thanks to Sweeney.

Nash and Grabner will return a higher pick each and they will basically get an extra draft out of this one bad season.

This trade was terrible for us from that angle alone. Look at how relatively easy the Bruins turned a few extra picks into a top farm system and thats despite losing trades badly and passing on a franchise player and other all star talents with not one, not two, but three picks in a row.

We screwed up and knocked down a bad first domino their total future return for one bad season is going to be big. And thats assuming O'Gara doesn't do well for them he might be a fixture and eat a ton of 2nd pairing minutes there. Makes me sick to my stomach to think how much Gorton is going to get for their useless crap now that Sweeney did him this huge favor.

Ok WHAT IF

You are indeed correct and now the prices will be higher for all the buyers. What if Sweeney never intends to make any other trades at this deadline, and now he's sabotaged all the other GMs by these prices higher?

Would be hilarious if he was actually an evil genius.

Reactions: Krupp and Fopppa

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I started making a list of all our 3rd rounders to see if it's worth it. Once I hit Marchand, I just quit.

You probably should have kept going?

Since 2000:

2000: Tuukka Makela, Sergei Zinovjev
2001: Darren McLachlan
2002: NA
2003: NA
2004: NA
2005: Mikko Lehtonen
2006: Brad Marchand
2007: NA
2008: Michael Hutchinson
2009: Ryan Button
2010: NA
2011: Anthony Camara
2012: Matt Grzelcyk
2013: Peter Cehlarik
2014: NA
2015: Daniel Vladar
2016: NA
2017: NA
2018: The Next Gretzky?

Not exactly Murderer’s Row.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He looks very solid on offense. Its really going to help the puck movement

Honestly not familiar with his game, if I`m going only by stats, looks like he has some offensive talent. I will ask/challenge those here who are loudly opposing this deal if they`ve seen the guy play more than a game here or there?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Honestly not familiar with his game, if I`m going only by stats, looks like he has some offensive talent. I will ask/challenge those here who are loudly opposing this deal if they`ve seen the guy play more than a game here or there?

last year Holden had 11 goals on 84 shots. Compare that to Krugs 8 goals on 200 shots.

Let this guy Holden shoot

Holdens shooting % was #1 in the NHL last year. How about that

Reactions: Silva

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
last year Holden had 11 goals on 84 shots. Compare that to Krugs 8 goals on 200 shots.

Let this guy Holden shoot

Holdens shooting % was #1 in the NHL last year. How about that

I’m not down on the trade, but in his 5 years in the NHL, Holden’s shooting % has been:

And he has never taken more than a 100 shots, so he’s not going to get 30.

Sounds like a guy that doesn’t shoot that often, but has a lane to the net or a good chance when he does?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I’m not down on the trade, but in his 5 years in the NHL, Holden’s shooting % has been:

Sounds like a guy that doesn’t shoot that often, but has a lane to the net or a good chance when he does?

could come in handy in the playoffs. Has 5 playoff goals in 18 games. Obviously can bury the puck

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Glad to see the Bruins are going for it with this crew and loading up on the one area that can bite them - injuries

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
People crack me up. O'Gara is never talked about nor did people consider him part of the B's future plans, but he moment he's traded some folks lose their minds like we just traded away a franchise altering d-man. Honestly I think the Rangers were just looking for a body to put on the backend because of all their injuries.

I wont be shocked if next season O'Gara is down in Hartford playing in the AHL again.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
One of those LHD get hurt it will be a great move

Had I known last 25 years I would not have needed my car insurance I could have saved around $25,000

He can play up and down the lineup. How well remains to be seen on this team, but he will buy in. Cassidy and Dean could work wonders with him.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Sounds like an insurance policy to me. But hey, if he comes in and plays well in case of an injury, who's gonna really complain? But what if he comes in and plays and turns out to be an excellent bottom pairing guy?

This trade, to me, seems to be Sweeney's way of telling the team, "Hey, I like you AS IS. This is not about replacing any of you. You can do this without outside help." Is that not a great vote of confidence, and a booster for the young lads? Being told, all in all, they're good enough to go on a deep playoff run?

A 3rd round pick and a guy who's never looked comfortable on the team. There have been worse trades than this. Would've been great if it were a fourth rounder or later, but I doubt the Rangers were going to lower their asking price. I imagine Sweeney probably asked around for other available LD's, and I'll bet the asking prices on those guys were not cheap either. It's the trade deadline for chrissakes.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t really care about this trade. It’s minuscule. The problem is if they over paid for this guy, then what happens on bigger trades? They are horrendous in trades. I have no trust in the front office. They still have dummies assessing the pro player.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Rangers defense this season is honestly one of the worst in the league. Holden has looked bad and is not a player I have had any interest in. But coming to a better team and playing in a more appropriate role could help stabilize his game. I don’t like his hockey IQ though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He can play up and down the lineup. How well remains to be seen on this team, but he will buy in. Cassidy and Dean could work wonders with him.
Yes - I asked a buddy about him and he said everyone wins
1. The Bruins get an excellent insurance policy on a player who can play well on your bottom half
2. Good move for Rangers maximizing asset and getting a kid who can be pretty good Bottom pair guy

3. Great for O'Gara

4. 'Your message board' gets to complain about the pick and 5 years when someone drafted after the pick - or God forbid with it - will bash the Bruins and Sweeney

Perfect deal :thumbu:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Rangers defense this season is honestly one of the worst in the league. Holden has looked bad and is not a player I have had any interest in. But coming to a better team and playing in a more appropriate role could help stabilize his game. I don’t like his hockey IQ though.

Holden had played mostly 1st pairing this year with the Rangers and that right there is the problem. He is not a 1st pairing D. Lundqvist playing like shit has made it look even worse.

In last years playoffs, against the Habs , he looked really good playing a 2nd and 3rd pairing role. If he can bring what he brought last year against the Habs then this will help , especially in the more physical style hockey that is played in the PO's. Can we really go for it with not one but two smaller D's like Tory and Matt? Nothing against either player but if you have to play one of the heavier teams that would be a big liability.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Here's a thought: Everybody remember when Kevan was playing beside Chara, top line minutes?

How'd that work out? It wasn't great, was it? Because that was never going to be the role Kevan was suited for. Cassidy and co. have adjusted for that, and guess what? He plays just fine as a 4-6 pairing defenseman

Who's to say that couldn't happen to Holden, if someone goes down? Nobody's asking him to play top line minutes in Boston. Cassidy was not born yesterday.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

For those who dn't know his game Holden isn't a guy who rips shots from the point all that often. He has a very good sense of when and how to join the rush from the back-end. He isn't an overly quick skater (not slow or lumbering but not Krug either) however he has a good feel for when he can join the rush. Many of his goals come from him joining that second wave and getting open looks on the rush.

I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised by his play. The guy played on the Rangers top-pairing last year in the playoffs. He was playing his off-side as well. He plays both LD and RD, PK's, can fill in on the PP (although I am sure Boston has that covered). He provides depth in many ways for a team entering the playoffs because of his versatility and ability to play more minutes when called upon.

Us Ranger fans were told he was horrible in Colorado. I don't see it. The guy sometimes fumbles the puck because he likes to have the puck on his stick and make a smart play with it. He doesn't just throw it around the boards. At times he gets caught doing so (like literally any defensemen on the planet sans Nick Lidstrom). If he is on the Bruins 3rd pairing to start the playoffs it's a big plus for you guys. Should an injury come about he can step up and play more as needed.

Can someone give me a bit of a run down on O'Gara? It seems he was highly touted coming out of school. Big kid who skates pretty well. Not much offense but that's okay because somehow, the Rangers have accumulated offense-first guys out the back-end with ADA, Pionk, Gilmour, Shatenkirk (when last year the team had zero).

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Here's a thought: Everybody remember when Kevan was playing beside Chara, top line minutes?

How'd that work out? It wasn't great, was it? Because that was never going to be the role Kevan was suited for. Cassidy and co. have adjusted for that, and guess what? He plays just fine as a 4-6 pairing defenseman

Who's to say that couldn't happen to Holden, if someone goes down? Nobody's asking him to play top line minutes in Boston. Cassidy was not born yesterday.

What if Chara goes down? Because that's where he is going. Then again, anyone we rented wouldn't be as good as Z. I think Holden could fit in with Carlo, McQ or Killer if he tames his game some. I bet Dean will dissect his game and make him a lot of money this summer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For those who dn't know his game Holden isn't a guy who rips shots from the point all that often. He has a very good sense of when and how to join the rush from the back-end. He isn't an overly quick skater (not slow or lumbering but not Krug either) however he has a good feel for when he can join the rush. Many of his goals come from him joining that second wave and getting open looks on the rush.

I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised by his play. The guy played on the Rangers top-pairing last year in the playoffs. He was playing his off-side as well. He plays both LD and RD, PK's, can fill in on the PP (although I am sure Boston has that covered). He provides depth in many ways for a team entering the playoffs because of his versatility and ability to play more minutes when called upon.

Us Ranger fans were told he was horrible in Colorado. I don't see it. The guy sometimes fumbles the puck because he likes to have the puck on his stick and make a smart play with it. He doesn't just throw it around the boards. At times he gets caught doing so (like literally any defensemen on the planet sans Nick Lidstrom). If he is on the Bruins 3rd pairing to start the playoffs it's a big plus for you guys. Should an injury come about he can step up and play more as needed.

Can someone give me a bit of a run down on O'Gara? It seems he was highly touted coming out of school. Big kid who skates pretty well. Not much offense but that's okay because somehow, the Rangers have accumulated offense-first guys out the back-end with ADA, Pionk, Gilmour, Shatenkirk (when last year the team had zero).

The best way I can put O'Gara....he doesn't have a lot of holes, but he's not great at anything one thing either. Could be a serviceable 3rd pairing guy or career AHLer. I think he is what he is at this point, don't see him making a drastic jump in skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad