Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by VanIsle, Feb 20, 2018.
Grizz scored! It's all about internal competition, and depth of course.
Its not a breakdown.
They just pulled off a major 'win' in their rebuilding on us. Its not Gomez for McDonaugh. But they get to gain an additional 3-4 top 90 picks in this years draft on top of their own now that Sweeney overpaid for someone who is worse than Postma. As I said 'YUCK'. We didn't screw ourselves never said that I'm mad because we hooked the Rangers up.
Let's hope you do!
I hope he is a juggernaut for us.
I don't mean to downplay him, he could be invaluable- just not sure from the limited body of work I saw of him, which isn't much. I just feel it was a fine trade with lower expectations. All good.
Ah no, not really.
Do we razz him during the anthem with Nicccckkkkkyyyyyyy or do we say Hooooolllldddeeeennn?
Why are people being so passive aggressive.
Just come out and say it. 'WOOOO HOO AWESOME TRADE 3rd ROUNDER FOR A GUY WHO NEEDS 3 GUYS TO GET HURT TO GET INTO THE LINEUP!' Its what you really mean.
You're really having a breakdown. Have you seen your posts over this? You're this fired up over a depth move. You also lose all credibility in this one if you really think Holden is worse than Postma. This was a solid move by the Bruins. Chill out.
I can't believe you're so worked up about this
I'm not surprised. There's always one or two who lose their mind over a trade no matter how big/small it is.
Got a feeling you are going to look really silly by the time the PO's are over, just a feeling.
Don't worry though, it happens to the best of us.
Pretty sure the Rangers getting a late third rounder and O'Gara is not exactly spring boarding a Rangers' rebuild. Let's get just a little bit real. Also pretty sure the Bs losing O'Gara and a late third rounder is not going to hurt anything at all. Holden is more playoff ready than O'Gara and will be much more useful come playoff time. O'Gara was going to be buried in the AHL more than likely had he stayed since the Bs will have better options fairly soon. There can, in some instances, be a bad trade and bad overpayment, even for a Cup run. This is not anywhere near such a case considering the Bs have a realistic shot at a Cup.
Playing the percentages in the NHL Draft - Article - TSN
"So, this is reasonably what we would expect. 80% of first-round picks, 44% of second-round picks, and 30% of third-round picks will become low-level (or better) NHL players."
~ Travis Yost
Saying a player has a 30% likelihood of making it in the NHL is the same as saying he has a 70%
chance of NOT making it in the NHL. Holden is already an NHL player.....kills
penalties...and has spent time on the power play. 11 goals last year isn't anything to sneeze at.
So we gave up a shot for a chance at 30% for a real NHL player. I don't get the angst.
It is not Nash's skill at the dot that has him playing center on the third line, but his ability to perform the defensive tasks necessary in this system.
Having experience playing center and being a solid option if someone goes down is not the same thing. Spooner has yet to be a solid option at center in the NHL it is why he is currently a wing there, Backes as well does not feel comfortable at center in our system and hasn't been able to hold down the job. There is a reason that Nash who had a career high 25 points prior to this season is centering our 3rd line despite not being offensively productive. Heinen doesn't have any professional center experience, the centers that are trusted most are the guys on our 4th line. If Bergeron went down there is a really decent chance we could be looking at Krejci, Nash, and Kuraly as our top 3 centers. I'm not comfortable with Nash above the 3rd line and Kuraly above the 4th.
JFK could honestly be a good solution for us or Spooner might be as well, but we have yet to see either play the position successfully in the NHL and hoping they come through when you need it most is a dangerous game.
I don't see how this is a long term loss. Holden is right now at least what O'gara projects to be, ceiling wise. is the 3rd rounder THAT valuable?
Yes it does seem a steep price to pay for a #7/#8 defenseman. O'Gara is not a huge loss because he was blocked by better prospects. But Sweeney does seem to like to overpay for low end depth pieces.
I think others would agree that DS drafting has been good, but he has yet to pull off a franchise improving trade. He has a long ways to go compared to the likes of Bill Belichick and Danny Ainge. Even Dave Dombrowski has been bolder with the Red Sox, making moves like acquiring Chris Sale and then signing JD Martinez this offseason.
Sweeney? Since he took over on May 20, 2015, he has traded for the likes of:
Not exactly an inspiring list of names. And the only player from that list still remaining with the main team is Sean Kuraly, a 4th line player.
The fact that this trade has generated 24 pages of debate is kinda funny
Not really, considering this might be the only move we make this trade deadline. Holden is arguably a small upgrade over Postma. But we gave up a 3rd rounder and O'Gara (former 5th) for him.
It's certainly not a sexy move. But it doesn't have to be, the question is, was this a smart move, and are the Bruins now done/standing pat?
Couple days off and the team is playing well. Gotta find something to complain about
No joke. You’d think Holden wasn’t an NHL defenseman reading some of the takes in here.
1.) Holden really sucks at hockey.
2.) Paul Postma, who can't get on the ice a majority of the time but when he does is mediocre at best, is a better defenseman. (Funny, if Postma was better, Boston isn't going out to get more defensive depth)
3.) Bruins gave up a future 3rd that will surely turn into the next Gretzky and O'Gara is a budding superstar that should have been given a chance.
Frankly, calling Holden a "9th D man" is pretty dumb too.
You're also ignoring the depth issue that we encountered in the playoffs last year. We've also been blessed with some pretty remarkable health on our Blue line (McQuaid's broken leg being literally the only exception). You can't count on that continuing, so Sweeney got another NHL asset and spent one who wasn't likely to be an NHL asset (not with the Bruins). I don't see what there is to complain about. or do you just like complaining?
Exactly how does the Holden deal automatically lead the Rangers to an additional 3-4 top 90 picks? That's stretching reality if I ever saw it.
And again, saying Holden is worse than Postma should disqualify you from evaluating anyone in the NHL.
People are taking exception to your takes because they aren't even close to being grounded in reality.
Is he implying that the Rangers probably get some high picks for Nash and Grabner as well?
Well, they should. Those are good players. But any picks they get for Nash and/or Grabner are completely independent from the Holden deal.
Separate names with a comma.