Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
We lost Kaberle and Peverley trades. But won the Cup. But this is different. We are fixing something that isn't broken. Thats just taking a long term loss for a short term gain.

We just allowed the Rangers to have a Bruins style rebuild on the fly. If they got this return for scrub ass Holden imagine what they get for Nash and Grabner?

And WHY **** with Grizz? I mean he could go either way. He could regress in terms of defense and all around play....or he could improve in those areas AND find his offense dude 'COULD' become a top 10 offense NHL D man like Krug just because he hasn't been that in his first 30 games doesn't mean he can't turn into that 2-3 years down the road.

Just a ****ing gross ass deal. Donny has done some great things but the NHL trades suck hard. Jones trade when we pulled a big no no on LA is the only one that isn't terrible.
Grizz scored! It's all about internal competition, and depth of course.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
These mental breakdowns over a minor depth move are freaking hilarious. Keep it up! :laugh:

Its not a breakdown.

They just pulled off a major 'win' in their rebuilding on us. Its not Gomez for McDonaugh. But they get to gain an additional 3-4 top 90 picks in this years draft on top of their own now that Sweeney overpaid for someone who is worse than Postma. As I said 'YUCK'. We didn't screw ourselves never said that I'm mad because we hooked the Rangers up.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I respect your point of view but I think your both wrong here. I have already said what I have to say about the trade but I think Holden is going to play a bigger role in our playoff run than most expect. You can get back to me if I'm wrong but I bet it'll be me getting back to you.:D
Let's hope you do!
I hope he is a juggernaut for us.
I don't mean to downplay him, he could be invaluable- just not sure from the limited body of work I saw of him, which isn't much. I just feel it was a fine trade with lower expectations. All good.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Its not a breakdown.

They just pulled off a major 'win' in their rebuilding on us. Its not Gomez for McDonaugh. But they get to gain an additional 3-4 top 90 picks in this years draft on top of their own now that Sweeney overpaid for someone who is worse than Postma. As I said 'YUCK'. We didn't screw ourselves never said that I'm mad because we hooked the Rangers up.
Ah no, not really.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why are people being so passive aggressive.

Just come out and say it. 'WOOOO HOO AWESOME TRADE 3rd ROUNDER FOR A GUY WHO NEEDS 3 GUYS TO GET HURT TO GET INTO THE LINEUP!' Its what you really mean.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Its not a breakdown.

You're really having a breakdown. Have you seen your posts over this? You're this fired up over a depth move. You also lose all credibility in this one if you really think Holden is worse than Postma. This was a solid move by the Bruins. Chill out.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Why are people being so passive aggressive.

Just come out and say it. 'WOOOO HOO AWESOME TRADE 3rd ROUNDER FOR A GUY WHO NEEDS 3 GUYS TO GET HURT TO GET INTO THE LINEUP!' Its what you really mean.

Got a feeling you are going to look really silly by the time the PO's are over, just a feeling.

Don't worry though, it happens to the best of us.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Pretty sure the Rangers getting a late third rounder and O'Gara is not exactly spring boarding a Rangers' rebuild. Let's get just a little bit real. Also pretty sure the Bs losing O'Gara and a late third rounder is not going to hurt anything at all. Holden is more playoff ready than O'Gara and will be much more useful come playoff time. O'Gara was going to be buried in the AHL more than likely had he stayed since the Bs will have better options fairly soon. There can, in some instances, be a bad trade and bad overpayment, even for a Cup run. This is not anywhere near such a case considering the Bs have a realistic shot at a Cup.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Playing the percentages in the NHL Draft - Article - TSN

"So, this is reasonably what we would expect. 80% of first-round picks, 44% of second-round picks, and 30% of third-round picks will become low-level (or better) NHL players."
~ Travis Yost

Saying a player has a 30% likelihood of making it in the NHL is the same as saying he has a 70%
chance of NOT making it in the NHL. Holden is already an NHL player.....kills
penalties...and has spent time on the power play. 11 goals last year isn't anything to sneeze at.

So we gave up a shot for a chance at 30% for a real NHL player. I don't get the angst.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Why this isn't video games. Most of our forwards have extensive center experience like Acciari/Schaller/Heinen/Backes/Spooner. They just aren't playing there when Nash is as good as Bergy at the dot.

Bergy/Krejci/Nash. And like 6 other guys who have been good centers at some point. Whats the problem?
It is not Nash's skill at the dot that has him playing center on the third line, but his ability to perform the defensive tasks necessary in this system.

Having experience playing center and being a solid option if someone goes down is not the same thing. Spooner has yet to be a solid option at center in the NHL it is why he is currently a wing there, Backes as well does not feel comfortable at center in our system and hasn't been able to hold down the job. There is a reason that Nash who had a career high 25 points prior to this season is centering our 3rd line despite not being offensively productive. Heinen doesn't have any professional center experience, the centers that are trusted most are the guys on our 4th line. If Bergeron went down there is a really decent chance we could be looking at Krejci, Nash, and Kuraly as our top 3 centers. I'm not comfortable with Nash above the 3rd line and Kuraly above the 4th.

JFK could honestly be a good solution for us or Spooner might be as well, but we have yet to see either play the position successfully in the NHL and hoping they come through when you need it most is a dangerous game.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We lost Kaberle and Peverley trades. But won the Cup. But this is different. We are fixing something that isn't broken. Thats just taking a long term loss for a short term gain.

We just allowed the Rangers to have a Bruins style rebuild on the fly. If they got this return for scrub ass Holden imagine what they get for Nash and Grabner?

And WHY **** with Grizz? I mean he could go either way. He could regress in terms of defense and all around play....or he could improve in those areas AND find his offense dude 'COULD' become a top 10 offense NHL D man like Krug just because he hasn't been that in his first 30 games doesn't mean he can't turn into that 2-3 years down the road.

Just a ****ing gross ass deal. Donny has done some great things but the NHL trades suck hard. Jones trade when we pulled a big no no on LA is the only one that isn't terrible.
I don't see how this is a long term loss. Holden is right now at least what O'gara projects to be, ceiling wise. is the 3rd rounder THAT valuable?

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Yes it does seem a steep price to pay for a #7/#8 defenseman. O'Gara is not a huge loss because he was blocked by better prospects. But Sweeney does seem to like to overpay for low end depth pieces.

I think others would agree that DS drafting has been good, but he has yet to pull off a franchise improving trade. He has a long ways to go compared to the likes of Bill Belichick and Danny Ainge. Even Dave Dombrowski has been bolder with the Red Sox, making moves like acquiring Chris Sale and then signing JD Martinez this offseason.

Sweeney? Since he took over on May 20, 2015, he has traded for the likes of:
Jimmy Hayes
Zac Rinaldo
Sean Kuraly
Lee Stempniak
John-Michael Liles
Drew Stafford

Not exactly an inspiring list of names. And the only player from that list still remaining with the main team is Sean Kuraly, a 4th line player.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
The fact that this trade has generated 24 pages of debate is kinda funny

Not really, considering this might be the only move we make this trade deadline. Holden is arguably a small upgrade over Postma. But we gave up a 3rd rounder and O'Gara (former 5th) for him.
It's certainly not a sexy move. But it doesn't have to be, the question is, was this a smart move, and are the Bruins now done/standing pat?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
No joke. You’d think Holden wasn’t an NHL defenseman reading some of the takes in here.

My takeaways:

1.) Holden really sucks at hockey.

2.) Paul Postma, who can't get on the ice a majority of the time but when he does is mediocre at best, is a better defenseman. (Funny, if Postma was better, Boston isn't going out to get more defensive depth)

3.) Bruins gave up a future 3rd that will surely turn into the next Gretzky and O'Gara is a budding superstar that should have been given a chance.

Reactions: OV and Chief Nine

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Your ignoring what has got us to this point.

We have this excellent record because of our depth and the competition up and down the roster. Adding 15th forwards and 9th D men for legit assets is moronic. Depth has got us to where we were. There is no reason to contribute to deadline day idiocy this year.

Some years you gotta do it. THis isn't one.
Frankly, calling Holden a "9th D man" is pretty dumb too.

You're also ignoring the depth issue that we encountered in the playoffs last year. We've also been blessed with some pretty remarkable health on our Blue line (McQuaid's broken leg being literally the only exception). You can't count on that continuing, so Sweeney got another NHL asset and spent one who wasn't likely to be an NHL asset (not with the Bruins). I don't see what there is to complain about. or do you just like complaining?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Its not a breakdown.

Exactly how does the Holden deal automatically lead the Rangers to an additional 3-4 top 90 picks? That's stretching reality if I ever saw it.

And again, saying Holden is worse than Postma should disqualify you from evaluating anyone in the NHL.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Exactly how does the Holden deal automatically lead the Rangers to an additional 3-4 top 90 picks? That's stretching reality if I ever saw it.

And again, saying Holden is worse than Postma should disqualify you from evaluating anyone in the NHL.

Is he implying that the Rangers probably get some high picks for Nash and Grabner as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad