Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah, that 3rd and O’Gara are the missing pieces for the Rangers.....

You joking? The Bruins just set a horrible prescident giving up legit value for the Rangers trash. They won't even have to trade McDonaugh now thanks to Sweeney.

Nash and Grabner will return a higher pick each and they will basically get an extra draft out of this one bad season.

This trade was terrible for us from that angle alone. Look at how relatively easy the Bruins turned a few extra picks into a top farm system and thats despite losing trades badly and passing on a franchise player and other all star talents with not one, not two, but three picks in a row.

We screwed up and knocked down a bad first domino their total future return for one bad season is going to be big. And thats assuming O'Gara doesn't do well for them he might be a fixture and eat a ton of 2nd pairing minutes there. Makes me sick to my stomach to think how much Gorton is going to get for their useless crap now that Sweeney did him this huge favor.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
In June of 2016, Holden was traded from the Colorado Avalanche to the Rangers for a 2017 fourth-round draft pick. He is in his fifth season after beginning his career with the Columbus Blue Jackets during the 2012-13 season.

With 2-3 years left in contract when trade was executed

But genius Sweeney gives up ogara and 3rd with 2 months to go

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
This strikes me as a deal everyone will forget about in a month. It comes off as a favor to O’Gara for his service, as there’s a greater chance of him seeing action with the Rangers than the B’s. I don’t have an issue with this deal whatsoever because it’s so insignificant for us this season and has a miniscule chance of hurting us in the future.

Reactions: Chief Nine

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
You joking? The Bruins just set a horrible prescident giving up legit value for the Rangers trash. They won't even have to trade McDonaugh now thanks to Sweeney.

Nash and Grabner will return a higher pick each and they will basically get an extra draft out of this one bad season.

This trade was terrible for us from that angle alone. Look at how relatively easy the Bruins turned a few extra picks into a top farm system and thats despite losing trades badly and passing on a franchise player and other all star talents with not one, not two, but three picks in a row.

We screwed up and knocked down a bad first domino their total future return for one bad season is going to be big. And thats assuming O'Gara doesn't do well for them he might be a fixture and eat a ton of 2nd pairing minutes there. Makes me sick to my stomach to think how much Gorton is going to get for their useless crap now that Sweeney did him this huge favor.

Agree to disagree then. If you wanna lose sleep over this move, be my guest.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sweeney sukks in trades where the Bruins have to give up pick(s).

Giving up a 3rd round pick for a slightly better version of Postma, is bad

Who else was going to trade for Holden? O'gara and Vatrano or 5th round pick is what Sweeney should have held out for...

Looks like an easy deal(for Rangers gm) between two old friends

Holden had as many points last year as Postma has in his entire NHL career (200+games).

He’s quite a bit better than Postma.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

Or they decided they weren’t paying the piper for McDonaugh or Nash or Kane and just decided to throw the dominos out the window?

Setting a price can be both good and bad for a market ...

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Dont like. Gave up a good prospect AND a 3rd for a bottom pairing guy who is 03 and a UFA at seasons end? Awful. Have to think this is a good will deal for a bigger one involving McDonagh? Utterly baffled at this. That is a bad trade no matter which way you look at it. Were better off keeping O'Gara and the 3rd.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Dont like. Gave up a good prospect AND a 3rd for a bottom pairing guy who is 03 and a UFA at seasons end? Awful. Have to think this is a good will deal for a bigger one involving McDonagh? Utterly baffled at this. That is a bad trade no matter which way you look at it. Were better off keeping O'Gara and the 3rd.

Easy to say until the B’s D suffers injuries down the stretch or in the playoffs. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen this year, but if it does, Boston is much better prepared than they were last year.

Reactions: ashnathan

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Easy to say until the B’s D suffers injuries down the stretch or in the playoffs. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen this year, but if it does, Boston is much better prepared than they were last year.
Agree, but surely O'Gara alone should have been enough? The rd thrown in makes absolutely no sense. I know a rd rounder's value is low but I mean, the guy is a UFA in a few months and O'Gara is on a cheap ELC and can be there for years? Just don't understand why the 3rd was thrown in.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Still not BIG on the trade both guys 6'4 which is I guess ok. For some reason I thought O'Gara was younger. I guess as someone mentioned this is more of a favor to O'Gara. Doesn't look like he will get a chance in Boston. But IMO O'Gara is a better piece than Holden, younger more upside, which makes me wonder how come we aren't getting a player and pick.

Holden will be gone after this season but still not a move that wows me.............Giving up a pick that could be used in a package for a better player is meh to me.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't know that it makes sense to treat 3rd round picks as throw-aways either.

The B's last three 3rd round picks were Cehlarik, Vladar and Grzlcyk.

Either way, you have to pay a price to get a player. That was the price the Rangers asked for and the Bruins paid. I’m looking forward to see how Nick Holden fits in

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If we receive a third in any deal, I wouldn't care either.

The Bruins are currently in a situation where their pipeline is LOADED. Price was high? Yeah, I'd say I agree. But is it one that hurts the Bruins at all? Nah dude. They can more than afford it.

Being able to afford something doesn't mean you gladly pay in excess. For a board that seemed to think losing Colin Miller was no great shakes I'm shocked at the praise a guy like Holden is getting, but then again it how this place works when players leave.

I'm over it, I don't like the player, He's not an upgrade over anything we have other than Postma I guess, and I hope we don't see much of him. I do however have faith in the staff so if anyone can make him better it's them.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney sukks in trades where the Bruins have to give up pick(s).

Giving up a 3rd round pick for a slightly better version of Postma, is bad

Who else was going to trade for Holden? O'gara and Vatrano or 5th round pick is what Sweeney should have held out for...

Looks like an easy deal(for Rangers gm) between two old friends

And while Sweeney is holding out for a better deal, some other team just swoops in and gets the player. You make it sound like Sweeney had some sort of exclusive window to negotiate with the Rangers for this player.

Leaving him scrambling for lesser options B or C or worse as outlined in a previous post.

A 3rd was the price they needed to pay to get a the front of the line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Still not BIG on the trade both guys 6'4 which is I guess ok. For some reason I thought O'Gara was younger. I guess as someone mentioned this is more of a favor to O'Gara. Doesn't look like he will get a chance in Boston. But IMO O'Gara is a better piece than Holden, younger more upside, which makes me wonder how come we aren't getting a player and pick.

Holden will be gone after this season but still not a move that wows me.............Giving up a pick that could be used in a package for a better player is meh to me.

What better player?

If Sweeney say is cutting a deal for a rental forward just as an example, do you really think the fact he gave up a 3rd rounder in the Holden deal is going to prevent him from making the 2nd deal for another good player?

O'Gara has more upside? He's almost 25. Barely even a prospect anymore. Holden scored 11 goals last year. O'Gara might not score 11 goals in his entire career.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In June of 2016, Holden was traded from the Colorado Avalanche to the Rangers for a 2017 fourth-round draft pick. He is in his fifth season after beginning his career with the Columbus Blue Jackets during the 2012-13 season.

So what?

What do the prices for player in June 2016 have to do with the prices for players at the deadline in Feb 2018?

Not to mention Holden had his best NHL season after that trade occured.

Honestly all this fretting over the price Sweeney paid and giving up a freakin' 3rd rounder to get arguably the best UFA rental LD is NHL 18 level stuff.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
A bit steep but I can't see why anyone would lose much sleep over this. O'Gara, while a decent prospect is now 25 and we have a number of D in the pipeline better than him. A 3rd for a depth Dman is probably expected. Wish we'd have done this last year when that rash of D went down in the playoffs. O'Gara/Cross weren't near good enough filling in.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So what?

What do the prices for player in June 2016 have to do with the prices for players at the deadline in Feb 2018?

Not to mention Holden had his best NHL season after that trade occured.

Honestly all this fretting over the price Sweeney paid and giving up a freakin' 3rd rounder to get arguably the best UFA rental LD is NHL 18 level stuff.

The Bruins are definitely nine deep (not Chias nine deep lol) so they should be pretty well insulated.

Holden can fill in up and down the lineup on the left side and would be the guy to take over for Chara of God forbid something happened to him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Bruins are definitely nine deep (not Chias nine deep lol) so they should be pretty well insulated.

Holden can fill in up and down the lineup on the left side and would be the guy to take over for Chara of God forbid something happened to him.

That's the thing, they aren't trusting Gryz or Krug on the PK, so if like you said God forbid Chara went down, the PK would take a massive hit. It would be a massive hit anyways, but at least with Holden the impact is mitigated.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m more bothered by the 3rd rounder than I am about O`Gara

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Not seeing the problem with the price. The B's are trying to shore up their roster for a playoff run. Holden will ensure that when a D goes down we don't lose a step. He's big, can skate and has more experience than many of our young guys. O' Gara wasn't playing here, he's like 6th on the depth chart st this point and a 3rd probably amounts to nothing, statistically speaking. Love the trade because it shows us what Sweeney expects, a deep postseason

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not seeing the problem with the price. The B's are trying to shore up their roster for a playoff run. Holden will ensure that when a D goes down we don't lose a step. He's big, can skate and has more experience than many of our young guys. O' Gara wasn't playing here, he's like 6th on the depth chart st this point and a 3rd probably amounts to nothing, statistically speaking. Love the trade because it shows us what Sweeney expects, a deep postseason
I`m not a big fan of losing draft picks for expiring contracts unless the player is a significant piece, if Holden was a guy who maybe had a year left I`d feel a bit easier but what can ya do? I honestly don`t watch the Rags play ,and I`ll challenge many on here who are irate at this that they don`t watch them much either when assessing his on ice game. I mean c`mon, who`s making it a mission of theirs to sit down and willingly turn a Ranger game on outside of the games they play the B`s?

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I started making a list of all our 3rd rounders to see if it's worth it. Once I hit Marchand, I just quit.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agree, but surely O'Gara alone should have been enough? The rd thrown in makes absolutely no sense. I know a rd rounder's value is low but I mean, the guy is a UFA in a few months and O'Gara is on a cheap ELC and can be there for years? Just don't understand why the 3rd was thrown in.
not enough when you consider Holden is a guy with over 400 NHL games under his belt and while he won`t be considered for a Norris, he won`t be snagged for simply a pick. I like O`Gara, not sure some here aren`t putting more value on him than he`s truly worth though. Hawks just moved Kempny for a 3rd rounder, a guy with barely over 100 games, minimal offensive ability...

Reactions: ashnathan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad