Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This trade may calm the nervousness that the young guys seem to have displayed over the last week or so. Carlo, and Heinen specifically looked (IMO) like they were a little out of sorts. If this trade tells the young guys "hey, we made our defenseman move and now if we make a move for a forward it'll most likely be for picks and/or prospects not already on the team" that's good in itself.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Brad Marchand was a 3rd round pick. Danton Heinen was a 4th round pick. Anders Bjork went in the 5th round.

Ya never know. Having another spin of the roulette wheel always has some kind of value.

Dmitry Pestunov was a 3rd round pick. Kelsey Tessier was a 4th round pick. David Bararuk was 5th round pick.

I get your point, but for a team who is deep when it comes to prospects, and still owns it's first and second, I think they can risk a 3rd rounder for NHL help when the team is hoping to have a run in the playoffs.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Conditional, unconditional, who cares. Fact of the matter is that we are a cup contender THIS YEAR and hedging against injury on the back end for a deep playoff run is a good thing.

If it costs you a third round pick that MIGHT pan out in 3-4 years, to help you with a cup run this year, so be it. We aren't in rebuilding mode anymore. We are in winning mode.

Lets see if this pans out. Personally, I like the thought process.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I don't really know much about Holden but isn't a warm body and a 3rd a bit much for a UFA #7 D? I say #7 because I assume they'll have a 7a and 7b situation depending on RHD or LHD needs. I dunno. I'm nitpicking a bit. Maybe O'Gara and a 4th or 5th??? Only because he's a UFA. Having said that, I'm guesssing Sweeny is planning for a deep run and this is obviously the price he's willing to pay for some depth. I feel like it's a slight overpayment for the role that I think he'll fill but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Welcome aboard, Nick!

It's overpayment...until he is forced to play in the playoffs.

Then DS has made a noteworthy move over some "future considerations" number 7 pick up.

Just based that he's played almost 20 mins per in the NHL makes him a top #7.

I mean, how much better does this guy have to be than Postma? Gotta be miles.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It's funny, I've been a big supporter of Griz since even before the season, when he was dismissed as a option...now I gotta be one of the few that genuinely wonders if the B's are counting on much from Griz in the playoffs.

Holden really feels like a #7 playoff D move, not #8.

Maybe another shoe will drop.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Over payed a bit, but much better than a Seidenberg type acquisition.

Holden is from Alberta. I wonder if there is any connection to this road trip?

I even advocated for a Seidenberg acquisition but this is a better move. Holden right now is the better player than Seidenberg.

I doubt there is any connection to this road trip, Bruins are headed home tonight or tomorrow morning.

Sweeney should be applauded for stepping up and getting the depth LD they wanted. Look at the names of UFA rental depth LD from the teams speculated to be selling:

Gorges - 33
Seidenberg - 36
Oduya - 36
Connauton - 27
Jerabek - 26
Auvitu - 27
Falk -29

That's it, that were the options from the selling teams. I have no problem saying Holden is better than any of these guys. Instead of waiting until the final hour before the deadline and going for Option B, or C, or D, such as he did the last two deadlines, even if those options would of been cheaper, he stepped up and got the guy they wanted. No doubt there were other teams interested in Holden, given most teams are looking for depth D for the playoffs, and Holden being the best left-shot option of the bunch.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
Not sure why people are killing this trade......Holden is not a star, but he's a quality NHL defenseman who adds to our depth on defense. The guy has had 2 seasons with 10+ goals and registered 34 points last year. They're not adding Holden as a top pair guy, but if the injury bug hits (Miller, McQuaid, Krug, Carlo)....then Holden is a valuable piece that you can insert into the lineup.

Do people forget that last year we had Cross, Morrow, Colin Miller and J-M Liles all dressed in the playoffs?

I'm not doing back flips or jumping for joy about this trade, but I'm not about to bash it either. They didn't give up any major value/assets and I like O'Gara, but I'm not sure he was ever going to be a regular on our blue line anyhow with McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Krug, Vaakanainnen, Lindgren, Zboril, Lauzon all in the NHL or expected to be within the next 2 to 3 years or so.

I do think this may be the precursor to another trade possibly involving Carlo for a top 6 winger.....because your top 7 D are Chara, McAvoy, Krug, Carlo, Miller, McQuaid, Grzelcyk and I don't see Holden taking any of their spots. So this is either the first shoe to drop and someone on D is going to be involved in another deal (Carlo or possibly McQuaid?) or it's a solid depth addition to give us another capable body on D heading into the playoffs

Not sure why anyone hates this move......although there is nothing to really love or get too fired up over regarding Holden

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yuck.

What a crappy player to pick up. Why give up a 3rd? This is like the Zanon/Mottau deals pt 2.

Why not do nothing?

I don't want to overreact but this doesn't help Sweeney's case as a GM who can make trades for NHLers.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I wonder if he replaces Gryz right away.

Kind of stinks in a way, the kid brings a nice dynamic to the game. Even tonight. Jumps right into the play and ties the game.

Definitely happy to have the depth though. Hopefully guys like Cross don’t sniff the NHL playoffs this year

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't know that it makes sense to treat 3rd round picks as throw-aways either.

The B's last three 3rd round picks were Cehlarik, Vladar and Grzlcyk.

And the Bruins still have their 1st and 2nd so far. It's going to be a late 3rd rounder.....It's not a throw-away. The Bruins used it to acquire a good depth piece.

Reactions: Chief Nine

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
It's a solid depth trade. This is what you want so as not to disrupt the team chemistry.
3rd round pick, for a team set to go to the ECF or Finals means this will be pick 90-93.

I was high on O'Gara in the off season. I was happy the Bruins didn't bring in a retread vet and instead went for internal competition as I thought O'Gara was a lock. For whatever reason he just couldn't translate his game to the Bruins system. He really likes to play man and chase his guy but he abandons his zone in the Bruins system. I think the NYR play man so he might actually fit in there.

But let's be honest, the Bruins tried a couple guys as #6 D during the early season injuries and none stuck until Gryzelcyk. He's managed to keep his spot over vets. So O'Gara wasn't going to take it and Zboril is almost ready so O'Gara's time as a Bruin was numbered. As GM DS said, he's a great guy and wish him luck with another team.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
Yuck.

What a crappy player to pick up. Why give up a 3rd? This is like the Zanon/Mottau deals pt 2.

Why not do nothing?

I don't want to overreact but this doesn't help Sweeney's case as a GM who can make trades for NHLers.

Really crappy to pick up an established NHL D-man?

They gave up no major assets to acquire Holden, who would you like them to acquire instead?

If they traded for McDonagh, you are giving up MAJOR value in DeBrusk or Heinen as well as a Carlo or 1st round pick

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

They gave up no major assets to acquire Holden, who would you like them to acquire instead?

If they traded for McDonagh, you are giving up MAJOR value in DeBrusk or Heinen as well as a Carlo or 1st round pick

Everyone has all the answers from the couch. Zero wrong with this move.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't get this kind of thinking. If the Bruins ever acquire a 3rd rounder, it will be OMG we drafted Vladar, Cehlarik, Grizz, Heinen, Bjork all 3rd rd or later....when we deal one, it's no big deal.
If we receive a third in any deal, I wouldn't care either.

The Bruins are currently in a situation where their pipeline is LOADED. Price was high? Yeah, I'd say I agree. But is it one that hurts the Bruins at all? Nah dude. They can more than afford it.

Reactions: Tampbear

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sweeney sukks in trades where the Bruins have to give up pick(s).

Giving up a 3rd round pick for a slightly better version of Postma, is bad

Who else was going to trade for Holden? O'gara and Vatrano or 5th round pick is what Sweeney should have held out for...

Looks like an easy deal(for Rangers gm) between two old friends

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Sweeney sukks in trades where the Bruins have to give up pick(s).

Giving up a 3rd round pick for a slightly better version of Postma, is bad

Who else was going to trade for Holden? O'gara and Vatrano or 5th round pick is what Sweeney should have held out for...

Looks like an easy deal(for Rangers gm) between two old friends

Dude has all the answers.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Sorry its the same medicore addition that we get every year post 2011 like Zanon/Mottau. I'd be complaining if it was OGara and a 5th. OGara himself is a better fit for the 8th/9th on the depth chart if you ask me as are Lauzen or Zboril. Rangers fans say hes been a disaster. I understand that the entire D corps can get wiped out since it happened last year but I feel like this undermines the kids a little bit.

They gave up enough to suggest that he will be replacing Grizz and taking some minutes from Krug. Hence the 'yuck' from me.

But go ahead and give up another mid round pick just in case 5 D get hurt in early April again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad