Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Interesting , LH D-man with size, adding depth. Wonder what else Sweeney has planned.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Well it's better than the 3rd for Rinaldo deal

But definitely puzzling, I guess Sweeney and co felt Ogara's time was up based on who's coming up behind him, they felt he was easy to part with

Think this team needs either a guy that can log a ton of minutes though or some tough forwards, not sure this move really helps the team.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
I have no idea who Holden even is personally but were taking a lot of flak on the main board for this trade already. Ranger fans saying they fleeced us. Seems like Sweeney might not really care about those 3rd round picks lol (Rinaldo, Holden)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Sweeney loves to give away 3rd rounders for junk.

O'Gara is probably the better player (especially considering age).

No chance Holden bumps McQuaid or Miller out of #7 and probably struggles to beat Postma out of #8.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well it's better than the 3rd for Rinaldo deal

But definitely puzzling, I guess Sweeney and co felt Ogara's time was up based on who's coming up behind him, they felt he was easy to part with

Think this team needs either a guy that can log a ton of minutes though or some tough forwards, not sure this move really helps the team.

It's not better than the Rinaldo deal.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Sweeney loves to give away 3rd rounders for junk.

O'Gara is probably the better player (especially considering age).

No chance Holden bumps McQuaid or Miller out of #7 and probably struggles to beat Postma out of #8.
I know NYR's defense is a bit of a dumpster fire, but he's played almost every game, so I'd say he's probably better than Postma. And Miller and McQuaid are both RHD, so competition with them is less. Still, he's probably our #4 LHD, now ahead of Postma. Was that depth worth the price?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nothing wrong with this move. Not sure why anyone is puzzled by it.

Simply put, if injuries occur down the stretch or into the playoffs, the Bruins are better off with Holden as the 4th LD spare than they would be with O'Gara.

Holden is a 3rd pair D on most teams, he's got almost 400 NHL games under his belt, has averaged 20 mins a game for his career, 19 this season.

With the emergence of Gryz, and with Zboril and Lauzon soon to be pushing down in Providence, soon to be 25-year old Rob O'Gara didn't appear to have much of a future in Boston.

A 3rd is a little bit expensive, but we don't know what the market is like for depth LD. Washington gave up a 3rd for Kempny yesterday, so that appears to be the price for 3rd pair/spare LD.

Given that the UFA rental LD market is pretty darn thin this year (Your looking at older guys like Seidenberg, Gorges, and Oduya), in theory would of raised the price on these types of players. I'd argue of the UFA Rental depth LD, the Bruins might of gotten the best one.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
He's going to get a chance on the 3rd pairing. Grzelyck has slipped recently. And they were always going to pick up insurance on the left side. Suprised they included O'Gara, but they must feel like he's expendable with Grzelyck probably being demoted, so many left handed defenseman.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ranger fan here.

Holden's a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He has good talent but he has a really low hockey IQ. Does some of everything though (okay defensively, can skate, has good size and can move the puck) and is a valuable bottom pairing defenseman for a playoff team. He can also play left or right.

Is O'Gara an NHL'er or just a good AHL'er? What is his game like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->