Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Kadri plays like a ****ing idiot. All he does is go for ****ty dekes, takes low percentage shots, and passes back to the D which I don't mind.

He doesn't cycle or pass to his wingers. That's why he could never play with any good players. The only player that has played well with him is Mitch. The reason for that is Mitch for the most part controlled entries and possession. When Mitch has the puck in the offensive zone everyone he plays with looks like a 1st liner.

There's a reason Willy looks like ****ing ****. All his C does is suck defensively, and make brain dead plays in the offensive zone.

If EK65 commits and Marleau won't waive you better believe Kadri is gone. Get a decent pick or youngish player for him and the team is a million times better.

It's hilarious people were acting like Kadri matured and became a 30 goal Selke C. Maybe it was because he played with a top 3 playmaker in the league that also happens to be an actual Selke calibre forward.

Now that Mitch is with JT, Kadri has gone back to straight garbage. What a surprise to nobody that actually has a brain...
This might be one of the worst posts in HFBoards history.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So here's a thing.

A couple of Canes fans are on board with the idea of Faulk+Wallmark+2nd for Kadri.
  • We know there's been a lot of scouting and counter scouting between these teams
  • There was reported Leaf interest in Faulk in the offseason
  • The biggest drawback to trading Kadri is saving money while getting an adequate 3C to replace him.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
So here's a thing.

A couple of Canes fans are on board with the idea of Faulk+Wallmark+2nd for Kadri.
  • We know there's been a lot of scouting and counter scouting between these teams
  • The biggest drawback to trading Kadri is saving money while getting an adequate 3C to replace him.
No thanks. Faulk brings nothing that Gardiner doesn't already. If we're getting a dman from Carolina, it better be one of Hamilton, Slavin or Pesce.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So here's a thing.

That's... not bad at all. Our center depth takes a big hit but Wallmark is interesting as a player. Faulk would be a massive upgrade over any of our RHD and has a good cap hit going into next season. It also gives us a bit more goal scoring from the back end.

I still think Kapanen is their top target though.

I also don't think the Leafs want to make this kind of trade in season.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Marleau is chasing the most games played stat.

He's not retiring for at least a couple more years after this one, and I'd be shocked if he was willing to leave this situation in toronto. Giving him 3 years and a full nmc is a mistake we're gonna have to live with.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Kadri before Marner

Leaf fans: Kadri has so many issues and hasn't proven to be a top 2 line C. He has no chemistry with anyone he plays with, and is terrible defensively.

Kadri put with Marner

Leaf fans: Wow back to back 30 goal seasons and a Selke calibre forward. Kadri has really matured and become a 1C.

Marner removed from Kadri

Leaf fans: Wow Kadri is having a down year, and playing bad defensively. Who could have seen this coming? I'm sure he will turn it around soon.
simple explanation for this.........Marner IS a truely elite player and he makes whoever he plays with better.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Kadri has had success without playing with Marner before
Kadri has all the tools, but is best suited for where he is, a 3rd line centre. Nothing wrong with that imo, I'm just dreading his next brain fart, and how badly it will impact the team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kadri has all the tools, but is best suited for where he is, a 3rd line centre. Nothing wrong with that imo, I'm just dreading his next brain fart, and how badly it will impact the team.

He's suited for a lot more than a 3rd line center on most teams. He'd be a tweener 1/2 on most teams. We just are lucky to have enough depth to have him on the 3rd line.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No thanks. Faulk brings nothing that Gardiner doesn't already. If we're getting a dman from Carolina, it better be one of Hamilton, Slavin or Pesce.

He's also vastly overrated. His numbers inflate how good he actually is, which is really not that good. Almost borderline bad.

If our analytics department is worth their salary, they'd see through that and not even throw out anything for him in the first place... If not value him like a cap dump... Which is not a total stretch given he is an overpaid offensive defenseman who has an inconsistent offensive touch.

Reactions: 1specter

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That's... not bad at all. Our center depth takes a big hit but Wallmark is interesting as a player. Faulk would be a massive upgrade over any of our RHD and has a good cap hit going into next season. It also gives us a bit more goal scoring from the back end.

I still think Kapanen is their top target though.

I also don't think the Leafs want to make this kind of trade in season.

Tbh my initial thought was Wallmark++ in a cap/upside centred deal, and to do it in the offseason, but the canes fan brought in Faulk/TVR which made it more of a "now" thing. I prefer offseason for Wallmark++ and use the Kadri savings on say Stralman

Reactions: Kiwi and SprDaVE

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kadri plays like a ****ing idiot. All he does is go for ****ty dekes, takes low percentage shots, and passes back to the D which I don't mind.

He doesn't cycle or pass to his wingers. That's why he could never play with any good players. The only player that has played well with him is Mitch. The reason for that is Mitch for the most part controlled entries and possession. When Mitch has the puck in the offensive zone everyone he plays with looks like a 1st liner.

There's a reason Willy looks like ****ing ****. All his C does is suck defensively, and make brain dead plays in the offensive zone.

If EK65 commits and Marleau won't waive you better believe Kadri is gone. Get a decent pick or youngish player for him and the team is a million times better.

It's hilarious people were acting like Kadri matured and became a 30 goal Selke C. Maybe it was because he played with a top 3 playmaker in the league that also happens to be an actual Selke calibre forward.

Now that Mitch is with JT, Kadri has gone back to straight garbage. What a surprise to nobody that actually has a brain...
Terrible post again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kadri before Marner

Leaf fans: Kadri has so many issues and hasn't proven to be a top 2 line C. He has no chemistry with anyone he plays with, and is terrible defensively.

Kadri put with Marner

Leaf fans: Wow back to back 30 goal seasons and a Selke calibre forward. Kadri has really matured and become a 1C.

Marner removed from Kadri

Leaf fans: Wow Kadri is having a down year, and playing bad defensively. Who could have seen this coming? I'm sure he will turn it around soon.
And again.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Faulk gives us nothing. And hes a UFA come 2020.

Pesce is the guy to target. Legit top 4 and locked up at 4m per year. Would compliment Rielly perfectly.

Hamilton would cost a pretty penny I would think and I’m not sure I trust him playing top pair every night.

Carolina make sense as a trading partner this summer, but not mid season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
So here's a thing.

If we're downgrading the 3C to upgrade on the right side I'd rather try and get a Thomas/Parayko combo out of St.Louis.

I'd start with Kadri/Zaitsev/Johnsson, then add whatever else to make it work.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If we're downgrading the 3C to upgrade on the right side I'd rather try and get a Thomas/Parayko combo out of St.Louis.

I'd start with Kadri/Zaitsev/Johnsson, then add whatever else to make it work.

Thomas+ Parayko is a combo we don't sniff at without touching the big three imo

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Looking at viable 3C options under 3million I think my offseason targets in a Kadri swap would be Wallmark++ or Faksa+,

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Faulk gives us nothing. And hes a UFA come 2020.

Pesce is the guy to target. Legit top 4 and locked up at 4m per year. Would compliment Rielly perfectly.

Hamilton would cost a pretty penny I would think and I’m not sure I trust him playing top pair every night.

Carolina make sense as a trading partner this summer, but not mid season.

Reading a few recent articles in the Athletic seems as if the Canes really don’t have much appetite to move Pesce but Hamilton has quietly been shopped.

If the Leafs and Canes do make a trade it would likely be for him or Faulk.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If we move Kadri for RD, IMO the obvious play is to trade a 1st or a couple 2nds for Staal. I like our odds of re-signing him at around 3-4 mil if we can make a deep run this year. He'd fit in with our heavy goalscoring center with fast wings set up more than Kadri does.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What would a McDonagh type trade look like for us acquiring Pietrangelo for 100 games plus playoffs. I’ve always wondered, who held more value in that trade, Miller or Namestiknov? Were they pretty much a wash?

If that’s the case, it’s two higher end prospects, a low first and low second.

Korshkov/Sandin, Grundstrom/Durzi, 1st and 2nd? They aren’t overwhelmingly good offers but it’s essentially what NYR got.

Sandin is probably a better prospect than any guy moved in those deals plus Dubas likely pretty high on him so I wouldn’t expect him in a Trade.

I think some of Hunter’s picks like Korshkov and Bracco could be moved though.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're definitely not trading Kadri this year or next, but I could see it as a possibility in two years as he nears his new deal, which don't kid yourself, will be 6+.

I still think we're going to be after Pietrangelo hard.

The first is essential, as is one of Liljegren or Sandin, as is some money to even it out (Brown).

People think we just have two RFAs to sign, we actually have four: Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson.

Who do you like more. Kappy or Johnny?

Kappy is obviously younger and is producing more (though Johnny has gained), but if we trade Johnsson, in two years Zach Hyman is our best LW.

I'd do Kapanen, Brown, Liljegren and a 2nd before I would do Johnsson, Brown, Liljegren and a 1st.

Kappy + Liljegren and a 1st is probably more value than any reent trade (ie the value of 3 1sts) . - I can see two of them being packaged but not all three.

Liljegren + a 1st + Brown would buy a VERY good player.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sandin is probably a better prospect than any guy moved in those deals plus Dubas likely pretty high on him so I wouldn’t expect him in a Trade.

I think some of Hunter’s picks like Korshkov and Bracco could be moved though.
I wasn’t necessarily offering up Sandin. Just looking to gauge value.

I don't think that Igor, Bracco and the picks get it done.

Anyone have an opinion on who held the greater value at the time of the trade? Miller or Namestiknov?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad