Hockey's Mecca
:leafs
Alex Pietrangelo

:blues
Nikita Zaitsev
Connor Brown
Sean Durzi
2019 lottery protected 1st
2021 conditional 2nd (becomes a lottery protected 1st if we win a cup by 2020 or re-sign Pietrangelo)

Radko Gudas

:flyers
2020 conditional 2nd (becomes a lottery protected 1st if we win a cup by 2020)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Gauthier-Ennis

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Gudas
Dermott-Hainsey

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How do you build for the future by acquiring a player who will likely just walk away for nothing in 2 months?

They could turn around and flip him for future's before the TDL ends, he'd have good value on the market as a rental for a playoff team

That's a pretty ass eyed way of going about things however

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
When's the last time a bottom 5 team loaded up at the TDL?

They'd literally be foregoing a realistic shot at Hughes for one Jake Gardiner.

This is silly.
Ya, we’ll if you think acquiring Gardiner at the deadline is going to boost them so much that they be out of the Hughes sweepstakes, I don’t know what to tell you. You’d be vastly overrating him.

No way anyone thought Philly was going to be the at the bottom of the league this year. This year is obviously a blip. Next year they’ll most likely be in playoff contention.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The team’s interested in gardiner are playoff bound teams - which is why he’s likely not traded by the Leafs.

It made more sense to trade JVR last season than Gardiner this year, so I wouldn’t expect him to be moved.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Ya, we’ll if you think acquiring Gardiner at the deadline is going to boost them so much that they be out of the Hughes sweepstakes, I don’t know what to tell you. You’d be vastly overrating him.

No way anyone thought Philly was going to be the at the bottom of the league this year. This year is obviously a blip. Next year they’ll most likely be in playoff contention.

Well which is it - is he either good enough for them to consider an asset and long term piece even as a rental on a bottom 5 team (while knowing they can take a shot at him for free in the summer) or is he not good enough to help them win games?

Seems like it can't really be both here.

Even if he moves the needle a little, that's a little further away from a better pick and for all of ~20 games of Jake Gardiner.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is Jay Bouwmeester of interest to anyone if he could be had cheap? UFA at the end of the season.

Played on the World Cup team just two seasons ago (for Babs). Is he an upgrade on Hainsey? I know he is a LHD but so is Hainsey.

Haven't seen him play at all this year so I won't be surprised if people jump down my throat. Just want to hear what others think about this if we aren't able to make a bigger acquisition.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yes we can.

Hainsey, Horton, Gardiner, Zaitsev combine for over 15M.

The cap is likely to go up to 84-85..

If Marleau waives his NTC you're over 20M. If you deal Kadri on top of that you're over 25M in cap space.

Add that to the 7M ish in cap they have this season and it's entirely possible.

Call up Moore, Liljegren and fill out the depth with your high end low cost Marlies and it becomes even more possible.

The cap is set at 83M. Matthews will get anywhere between around 10 to 11M depending on how he finishes. Marner is probably around 9 to 10M. Kapanen around 3M and Johnsson around 2M.

The Leafs can only afford Karlsson if they trade out Marleau and Zaitsev with little cap hits back.

Don't forget that whoever you ship out, you need to replace that person. So if you replace Zaitsev with Liljegren for example, you're not cutting the full 4.5M.

It's do-able but your depth is taking a big hit.

Cap will go to 83M approx, and that is projecting the NHLPA using some inflator. As a guy who ran multiple Armchair GM scenarios, I can confidently say that what you proposed will

1. Not get St.Louis to bite
2. Not work after this season

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Well which is it - is he either good enough for them to consider an asset and long term piece even as a rental on a bottom 5 team (while knowing they can take a shot at him for free in the summer) or is he not good enough to help them win games?

Seems like it can't really be both here.

Even if he moves the needle a little, that's a little further away from a better pick and for all of ~20 games of Jake Gardiner.
Well it wouldn’t be for just 20 games if Gardiner, not if the intention was to trade for him so they could have first dibs at signing him to an extension.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Alex Pietrangelo

:blues
Nikita Zaitsev
Connor Brown
Sean Durzi
2019 lottery protected 1st
2021 conditional 2nd (becomes a lottery protected 1st if we win a cup by 2020 or re-sign Pietrangelo)

Radko Gudas

:flyers
2020 conditional 2nd (becomes a lottery protected 1st if we win a cup by 2020)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Gauthier-Ennis

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Gudas
Dermott-Hainsey

So 3 first round picks gone if we win the cup? I get it for pietrangelo, but a conditional 1st for gudas? Add in Simmonds, make the trade a little bigger.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Jensen and a LW would be my ideal realistic deadline for rentals (Dzingel, Nyquist, Johansson)

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
William Nylander for Darnell Nurse? In the last 17 games, Nurse has scored 16 points while playing 25+ a night.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
What would the Blue Jackets want for Boone Jenner as a potential Kadri replacement if we have to use Naz to get a RHD.

4 years left at $3.75M

43 GP: 8 goals, 20 points, 87 hits and 52% on the draw.

Usually good for mid-thirties in points, 200+ hits per season, and good on faceoffs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What would the Blue Jackets want for Boone Jenner as a potential Kadri replacement if we have to use Naz to get a RHD.

4 years left at $3.75M

43 GP: 8 goals, 20 points, 87 hits and 52% on the draw.

Usually good for mid-thirties in points, 200+ hits per season, and good on faceoffs.

They probably don't want to trade him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->