Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We can fit him under cap this playoff run. Next off season figure it out. Re-vamp.

Easier to trade a 6 million a season player then it is an 8 million a year one.

This coming summer trade Voracek as part of a deal to get your stud dman.

You think teams are going to give up a young stud defenseman for a 30 year old Voracek?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
McKenzie explores Hamilton trade rumors

“Here’s what I would say about the Dougie Hamilton rumors,” began McKenzie. “I believe the Carolina Hurricanes are willing to consider trading any one of their defensemen that’s not named Jaccob Slavin. I guess they could consider that, but I don’t think they want to. I think Slavin is a guy that they really want to hold onto. But whether it’s Pesce or whether it’s Faulk or whether it’s Hamilton, you take your pick - go all up and down the lineup - they are looking for more scoring help. They’re looking for young scoring help. They’re looking for economical scoring help, that is players that aren’t yet making a ton of money, but can produce offense and help them in the offensive part of the game.

“So I think right now Carolina is open for business to move a defenseman, it’s just a matter of which one and who comes calling.”

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
McKenzie explores Hamilton trade rumors

“Here’s what I would say about the Dougie Hamilton rumors,” began McKenzie. “I believe the Carolina Hurricanes are willing to consider trading any one of their defensemen that’s not named Jaccob Slavin. I guess they could consider that, but I don’t think they want to. I think Slavin is a guy that they really want to hold onto. But whether it’s Pesce or whether it’s Faulk or whether it’s Hamilton, you take your pick - go all up and down the lineup - they are looking for more scoring help. They’re looking for young scoring help. They’re looking for economical scoring help, that is players that aren’t yet making a ton of money, but can produce offense and help them in the offensive part of the game.

“So I think right now Carolina is open for business to move a defenseman, it’s just a matter of which one and who comes calling.”

Hmmm interesting. They want affordable scoring but they were pursuing a known expensive scorer like Nylander?

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The cheaper Kapanen would be their likely target.

I’m very high on Kappy but would pull the trigger on a swap for Hamilton - he’d be a beast on an offensive heavy team like the Leafs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's newborn kitten soft..pass on Hamilton

He’s probably the only youngish D man I realistically see being traded though.

I don’t think the Leafs will be able to necessarily find a perfect fit for what they need on the trade market. Which means keeping the assets the team has or just accepting what’s out there on the market. Not an easy choice

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He’s probably the only youngish D man I realistically see being traded though.

I don’t think the Leafs will be able to necessarily find a perfect fit for what they need on the trade market. Which means keeping the assets the team has or just accepting what’s out there on the market. Not an easy choice

You are probably right, but I would focus more on a more cost effective dman until Sandin and Lilijgren are ready.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The cheaper Kapanen would be their likely target.

I’m very high on Kappy but would pull the trigger on a swap for Hamilton - he’d be a beast on an offensive heavy team like the Leafs

Is that what the Leafs need though? An strong offensive RHD? A guy who over the course of his career, has a third of his points on the PP. How would that translate, when Reilly is the #1 PP guy?

Just my opinion, but I think we'd be better off with a complimentary RHD, who can cover for Reilly, and set him completely free... sort of like what Hainsey has done for him, but someone younger, better, and who can log the minutes. Put a Gardiner with Reilly, and suddenly Reilly has to cover up for Gardiner, instead of being free to play... Hamilton is kind of like that too...

Slavin was best with Pesce, because Pesce covered for him, let him play his game. Earlier in the year, Slavin was with Hamilton, and it didn't work for either one of them, because they both wanted the offensive role, and are best when having a stronger D side guy. Giordano made Hamilton look great, Pesce made Slavin look great.

If you want a balanced team, someone who can log minutes with Reilly, and compliment him well, it's Pesce you want.

Reactions: Ports

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Is that what the Leafs need though? An strong offensive RHD? A guy who over the course of his career, has a third of his points on the PP. How would that translate, when Reilly is the #1 PP guy?

You could use 2 defensemen. It depends on your set up, but Hamilton would be a better PP weapon than Kadri. It would also give more options.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Just my opinion, but I think we'd be better off with a complimentary RHD, who can cover for Reilly, and set him completely free... sort of like what Hainsey has done for him, but someone younger, better, and who can log the minutes. Put a Gardiner with Reilly, and suddenly Reilly has to cover up for Gardiner, instead of being free to play... Hamilton is kind of like that too...

Slavin was best with Pesce, because Pesce covered for him, let him play his game. Earlier in the year, Slavin was with Hamilton, and it didn't work for either one of them, because they both wanted the offensive role, and are best when having a stronger D side guy. Giordano made Hamilton look great, Pesce made Slavin look great.

If you want a balanced team, someone who can log minutes with Reilly, and compliment him well, it's Pesce you want.

The Leafs don’t have a single guy capable of moving the puck in the right side of the defense, so that’s probably my main requirement when looking for a D.

I’d agree that the team doesn’t necessarily need a top pairing guy though, just somebody who can eat up a lot of minutes and be stable.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs don’t have a single guy capable of moving the puck in the right side of the defense, so that’s probably my main requirement when looking for a D.

I’d agree that the team doesn’t necessarily need a top pairing guy though, just somebody who can eat up a lot of minutes and be stable.

The big thing is that whoever is brought in, Babcock needs to ship Hainsey down the lineup as fast as possible. For that reason, it has to be a proven player, not really a potentially good player like Jensen for example.

We really need quality in the top 4. Someone that can actually skate and move the puck at a high end level.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The big thing is that whoever is brought in, Babcock needs to ship Hainsey down the lineup as fast as possible. For that reason, it has to be a proven player, not really a potentially good player like Jensen for example.

We really need quality in the top 4. Someone that can actually skate and move the puck at a high end level.

Babcock was there when Jensen started, right? He’s kind of the exact player Babcock wants.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
With Anaheim on a huge losing streak they might be more inclined to sell off players.

Anaheim
Ritchie
Manson

Toronto
Johnsson
Brown
Borgman
1st round pick

Reactions: Ports

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Thoughts on going for Sami Vatanen? NJ is likely not making the playoffs and Vatanen is a solid right handed D that is up at the end of the year. Could make for a decent rental and if we wanted him in the future he would not be a massively expensive signing.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Thoughts on going for Sami Vatanen? NJ is likely not making the playoffs and Vatanen is a solid right handed D that is up at the end of the year. Could make for a decent rental and if we wanted him in the future he would not be a massively expensive signing.

Vatanen is under contract for next season and one of their better d men. I don’t see New Jersey moving him this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad