Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We're definitely not trading Kadri this year or next, but I could see it as a possibility in two years as he nears his new deal, which don't kid yourself, will be 6+.

I still think we're going to be after Pietrangelo hard.

The first is essential, as is one of Liljegren or Sandin, as is some money to even it out (Brown).

People think we just have two RFAs to sign, we actually have four: Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson.

Who do you like more. Kappy or Johnny?

Kappy is obviously younger and is producing more (though Johnny has gained), but if we trade Johnsson, in two years Zach Hyman is our best LW.

I'd do Kapanen, Brown, Liljegren and a 2nd before I would do Johnsson, Brown, Liljegren and a 1st.
IMO, if Kadri continues to play as he has he could very well be near the top of the list as a guy to move to save cap.
That notion was absurd before the season started.
Wonder what's up with him?

Reactions: HC7 and hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
IMO, if Kadri continues to play as he has he could very well be near the top of the list as a guy to move to save cap.
well he sees nylander making 2 mill more than he does and he had to negotiate yearly
nylander likely isn't as popular as u think

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
newly married, anyone remember what that was like?

Reactions: Tarmore

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mirtle: The Leafs won't win by being big, tough and old...

“Being heavy isn’t getting on a scale and measuring yourself: It’s a state of mind,” Babcock continued. “So I think we can do a better job there. And I think we can continually get better defensively so that we are way better offensively and have the puck more. We got a lot of work to do. We understand where we’re at and where we want to go. And we’ve got to keep getting better.”

“People hear heavy and think throwing hits?” the coach was asked.

“No. It’s heavy on offence. It’s having the puck. It’s getting the puck back all the time. It’s checking (to get) it back. It’s putting your work in front of your skill. It’s being determined offensively – not coming down, having a rush and being one-and-done. It’s multiple-shot shifts. It’s having some jam.”

Important to note when people think the Leafs want to get heavier, it's a lot more than just hitting.

With Boston rolling into Toronto for their final meeting of the regular season on Saturday, this idea of heavy hockey is going to be talked about a lot this weekend. How a player like Wayne Simmonds is potentially available at the trade deadline and how Toronto can get more physical, bigger and imposing with a couple of key trades.

But if you look around the league, that’s not exactly what’s steamrolling opponents. The Lightning are the smallest team in the NHL and on pace for one of the best seasons in modern league history. The road out of the Atlantic Division goes through the Bruins (maybe) but more so Tampa Bay – and they’re hardly a group that’ll be intimidated by the presence of another net-front type or hard-nosed depth defenceman.

You’re going to have to beat them by beating them to – and with – the puck. And the Leafs can do that.

Rather than adding a couple rentals to try and augment what the Leafs are, what they really need here in the next three months is to emerge as their best selves by April. They had a difficult time doing that last year, when it was clear by about Feb. 1 that they were going to finish third in the division and play Boston.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
well he sees nylander making 2 mill more than he does and he had to negotiate yearly
nylander likely isn't as popular as u think
you make a good point, Nylander gettting a sweetheart deal probably doesn't sit well with the Leaf worker bees. I understand how seeing WN avoid contact like the plague and getting rewarded for it would rub the grinders the wrong way.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
you make a good point, Nylander gettting a sweetheart deal probably doesn't sit well with the Leaf worker bees. I understand how seeing WN avoid contact like the plague and getting rewarded for it would rub the grinders the wrong way.

the ones that don't understand and appreciate their roles will be moved out. everyone knows their place and role
Patriots model

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Kadri is a difficult
Player to gain chemistry with. Realistically the only players to ever have chemistry with him was komarov, Marleau(last year) and Marner who let’s be honest has chemistry with literally anyone.
It’s something about the way Kadri
Plays that does not mesh well with most players.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Karlsson can't fit with out cap at all man.

I don't think Z is that bad. I think Gardiner hasn't been very good either this year and I think that just magnifies the pairing.

Yes we can.

Hainsey, Horton, Gardiner, Zaitsev combine for over 15M.

The cap is likely to go up to 84-85..

If Marleau waives his NTC you're over 20M. If you deal Kadri on top of that you're over 25M in cap space.

Add that to the 7M ish in cap they have this season and it's entirely possible.

Call up Moore, Liljegren and fill out the depth with your high end low cost Marlies and it becomes even more possible.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes we can.

Hainsey, Horton, Gardiner, Zaitsev combine for over 15M.

The cap is likely to go up to 84-85..

If Marleau waives his NTC you're over 20M. If you deal Kadri on top of that you're over 25M in cap space.

Add that to the 7M ish in cap they have this season and it's entirely possible.

Call up Moore, Liljegren and fill out the depth with your high end low cost Marlies and it becomes even more possible.

The cap is set at 83M. Matthews will get anywhere between around 10 to 11M depending on how he finishes. Marner is probably around 9 to 10M. Kapanen around 3M and Johnsson around 2M.

The Leafs can only afford Karlsson if they trade out Marleau and Zaitsev with little cap hits back.

Don't forget that whoever you ship out, you need to replace that person. So if you replace Zaitsev with Liljegren for example, you're not cutting the full 4.5M.

It's do-able but your depth is taking a big hit.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the ones that don't understand and appreciate their roles will be moved out. everyone knows their place and role
Steelers model

Added some class to your post.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not sure what takes more effort.
Coming up with original date plans or preventing your wife from finding out?
ha ha, I've never understood the Mormon philosophy of having more than one wife, who needs that kind of punishment in their lives?

Reactions: ACC1224

HC7

May 2, 2018
Kadri plays like a f***ing idiot. All he does is go for shitty dekes, takes low percentage shots, and passes back to the D which I don't mind.

He doesn't cycle or pass to his wingers. That's why he could never play with any good players. The only player that has played well with him is Mitch. The reason for that is Mitch for the most part controlled entries and possession. When Mitch has the puck in the offensive zone everyone he plays with looks like a 1st liner.

There's a reason Willy looks like f***ing shit. All his C does is suck defensively, and make brain dead plays in the offensive zone.

If EK65 commits and Marleau won't waive you better believe Kadri is gone. Get a decent pick or youngish player for him and the team is a million times better.

It's hilarious people were acting like Kadri matured and became a 30 goal Selke C. Maybe it was because he played with a top 3 playmaker in the league that also happens to be an actual Selke calibre forward.

Now that Mitch is with JT, Kadri has gone back to straight garbage. What a surprise to nobody that actually has a brain...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Kadri plays like a ****ing idiot. All he does is go for ****ty dekes, takes low percentage shots, and passes back to the D which I don't mind.

He doesn't cycle or pass to his wingers. That's why he could never play with any good players. The only player that has played well with him is Mitch. The reason for that is Mitch for the most part controlled entries and possession. When Mitch has the puck in the offensive zone everyone he plays with looks like a 1st liner.

There's a reason Willy looks like ****ing ****. All his C does is suck defensively, and make brain dead plays in the offensive zone.

If EK65 commits and Marleau won't waive you better believe Kadri is gone. Get a decent pick or youngish player for him and the team is a million times better.

It's hilarious people were acting like Kadri matured and became a 30 goal Selke C. Maybe it was because he played with a top 3 playmaker in the league that also happens to be an actual Selke calibre forward.

Now that Mitch is with JT, Kadri has gone back to straight garbage. What a surprise to nobody that actually has a brain...
as to Willy, "elite" players make the players around them better, I would assume Kadri's game would be elevated playing with the likes of the offensive dynamo Nylander's suppose to be. Alas it's not the case, Willy's lost, even playing with Mathews hasn't helped.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if a main package of a 1st and a prospect like Bracco would be enough for Muzzin? Would a competing team top that?

He's not right handed, but he's damn good and likely slots into at least Gardiners spot next season at a damn good cap hit.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
If Marleau doesn’t retire I think Dubas will get creative and go the Brooks Orpik route that caps pulled off last season. Trade/buyout/re-sign.

I can’t see Marleau here next season at 6.25m. That’s an anchor contract the Leafs can’t afford if they want to upgrade in other areas this offseason.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Kadri before Marner

Leaf fans: Kadri has so many issues and hasn't proven to be a top 2 line C. He has no chemistry with anyone he plays with, and is terrible defensively.

Kadri put with Marner

Leaf fans: Wow back to back 30 goal seasons and a Selke calibre forward. Kadri has really matured and become a 1C.

Marner removed from Kadri

Leaf fans: Wow Kadri is having a down year, and playing bad defensively. Who could have seen this coming? I'm sure he will turn it around soon.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What would a McDonagh type trade look like for us acquiring Pietrangelo for 100 games plus playoffs. I’ve always wondered, who held more value in that trade, Miller or Namestiknov? Were they pretty much a wash?

If that’s the case, it’s two higher end prospects, a low first and low second.

Korshkov/Sandin, Grundstrom/Durzi, 1st and 2nd? They aren’t overwhelmingly good offers but it’s essentially what NYR got.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
If Marleau doesn’t retire I think Dubas will get creative and go the Brooks Orpik route that caps pulled off last season. Trade/buyout/re-sign.

I can’t see Marleau here next season at 6.25m. That’s an anchor contract the Leafs can’t afford if they want to upgrade in other areas this offseason.
Marleau retirement doesn’t cancel his cap hit +35

HC7

May 2, 2018
The cap is set at 83M. Matthews will get anywhere between around 10 to 11M depending on how he finishes. Marner is probably around 9 to 10M. Kapanen around 3M and Johnsson around 2M.

The Leafs can only afford Karlsson if they trade out Marleau and Zaitsev with little cap hits back.

Don't forget that whoever you ship out, you need to replace that person. So if you replace Zaitsev with Liljegren for example, you're not cutting the full 4.5M.

It's do-able but your depth is taking a big hit.

Our depth from the Marlies is more than capable of playing 4th line 3rd pairing roles. Rosen, Liljegren, Moore next year. Grundstrom, Sandin etc the year after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad