Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
In regards to adding some "grit, toughness"

Yea, I don't think there is a need to bring back Colton Orr, but having a player who can play and doesn't mind the rougher play, or actually enjoys that kind of game, would help us and even help some of our more skilled players. Presence still exists. Ever see anyone try and run Chara...and the guy is 41 years old. Net scrums are pretty much non-existent when he is on the ice. Some players carry a presence like that, we have none.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Difference between the Leafs and TB is that their D can play a heavier game. Yeah they may not play heavy during the season but they might be able to in the playoffs. The Leafs as a whole cannot with the current cast. We will need to win with speed and skill. It will work if we can score early and often but I am worried that we won't be able to when the refs allow teams to slow us down.

Reactions: Ports and SAMCRO44

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The maple leafs will , WILL, win the Stanley cup if they address 2 things..... (ya I am speaking in extremes)

1. Solid number 2 defenseman for Morgan Rielly

2. Team toughness

-----
Now. Number 1 doesn't mean we have to go out and obtain a Dman labelled Number 2. It means we need to find the perfect fit for Morgan.... a Seabrook for his Keith. A guy that might not even be a top line Dman currently.... it can be someone that clicks with Mo.

Number 2 doesn't mean we have to plug out our 4th line...no. We need a power forward for our top 6. And possibly one for our bottom 6. Players that make our skilled guys comfy, in a tough playoff series. I don't see one in our system.... maybe Marchment, but come on.

Reactions: Ports

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Dubas has something brewing. How the Leafs have been managing their goalies, his trip out to Russia, the constant scouts from Carolina in attendance at Leaf games.

I truly believe he will be making some deals for a dman and for some grittier players for the forward group. I believe he and Babcock know they cannot win with this group.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Dubas has something brewing. How the Leafs have been managing their goalies, his trip out to Russia, the constant scouts from Carolina in attendance at Leaf games.

I truly believe he will be making some deals for a dman and for some grittier players for the forward group. I believe he and Babcock know they cannot win with this group.

Who may get go the other way? Would TOR use their 1st round pick, Liljgren, Nylander, or Brown?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

How the Leafs have been managing their goalies? They're incredibly injured and their depth sucks this year and we already made a trade there.

The trip to Russia could be anything, maybe just checking in on Korshkov, but it definitely wouldn't be anything that could help the team now.

The last part is basically just you not thinking we can with this group.

I'll give you Carolina though, if they win a few more games and get close to a playoff spot I think we can take advantage of them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The time for a deal with Carolina has come and gone for this year. If we do a deal with them, chances are it is in early July.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder what the cost would be for Muzzin. He really fits (almost) perfectly what the Leafs need and what the fans want in the top 4. The only small detail is that he's left handed.

Side note, the Leafs have been linked to Nikolai Prokhorkin in the past and he's now close to a PPG in the KHL right now. His NHL rights are owned by the Kings. Might be someone to keep an eye on.

Reactions: AreBe

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I see deals that would address both issues:

Carolina - Pesce, Ferland
Philly - Gudas, Simmonds
Minnesota - Spurgeon, Foligno
Arizona - Hjalmarsson, Crouse

We would likely have to give up:
1st rounder
2 prospects (one of Bracco, Grundstrom, Timashov; one of Borgman, Rosen, Holl)
Roster player (Johnsson, Brown, Zaitsev)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I see deals that would address both issues:

Carolina - Pesce, Ferland
Philly - Gudas, Simmonds
Minnesota - Spurgeon, Foligno
Arizona - Hjalmarsson, Crouse

We would likely have to give up:
1st rounder
2 prospects (one of Bracco, Grundstrom, Timashov; one of Borgman, Rosen, Holl)
Roster player (Johnsson, Brown, Zaitsev)

I think Bracco is a guy we need to keep. One of Nylander or Kapanen are almost certainly going to have to be jettisoned, and a cheap replacement would be needed.

Bracco seems like a perfect fit for Kadri’s right flank.

Same with Rosen. We likely need his cap hit on the 3rd pair.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
What would Leafs fans move for Simmonds+Gudas(50% retained)?

Gudas would have one more year left at 1.675M.

RLF

May 5, 2014

This would all be dependent on what kind of return Philly is looking for. Futures? Help now? Or a combo of both?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

personally I'm not interested in either player, better options out there imo, it might cost more, but nothing worth having comes cheap.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Would hope for Kapanen or Lilijegren/Sandin+1st.

I doubt we would give Kapanen, Liligren or Sandin + 1st for a rental and a bottom 4D with one more year left even if he is at 1/2 price. It doesn't solve our D problem going forward as we need a better D-man than Gudas. If that is the return you are looking for, you would have to add I would think...whether you think unreasonable or not I don't know.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would hope for Kapanen or Lilijegren/Sandin+1st.
I’d think Lilijgren/Sandin/1st would have to be involved otherwise they could find a better fit.

Yeaaaaah that's gonna be a no here chief.

If the Flyers can get that from another team they should take it and run as fast as possible. I doubt the Leafs will be that team to give up Kapanen, Liljegren or Sandin in this kind of trade.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeaaaaah that's gonna be a no here chief.

If the Flyers can get that from another team they should take it and run as fast as possible. I doubt the Leafs will be that team to give up Kapanen, Liljegren or Sandin in this kind of trade.
That's going to be some terrible asset management for a team that hasn't won a playoff round yet.

So in 2 years you lose JVR, 2nd, Gardiner(?),Simmonds,cost of doing business in the order of a 2019 1st, whatever prospect be it Lily/Sandin.

I'd rather see who on the team can bring elite status to the playoffs currently and go from there. Same problems exist when those players leave and possibly more.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Leafs should be interested in Gudas and only him from the Flyers. Unless if the deal is expanded for dare I say Voracek?

Voracek (25% retained)
Simmonds
Gudas

for

1st Round pick '19
3rd Round pick '20
Brown
Johnsson
Durzi

Simmonds-Matthews-Nylander
Voracek-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Hyman-Goat-Lindholm

Gardiner-Reilly
Dermott-Gudas
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The Leafs should be interested in Gudas and only him from the Flyers. Unless if the deal is expanded for dare I say Voracek?

Voracek (25% retained)
Simmonds
Gudas

for

1st Round pick '19
3rd Round pick '20
Brown
Johnsson
Durzi

Simmonds-Matthews-Nylander
Voracek-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Hyman-Goat-Lindholm

Gardiner-Reilly
Dermott-Gudas
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Voracek at 25% retained is still over 6 million for the next 6 years.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Voracek at 25% retained is still over 6 million for the next 6 years.

We can fit him under cap this playoff run. Next off season figure it out. Re-vamp.

Easier to trade a 6 million a season player then it is an 8 million a year one.

This coming summer trade Voracek as part of a deal to get your stud dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->