Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Warden of the North, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showtime8

showtime8 Registered User

What is the fascination with Gudas? He's basically a clone of Roman Polak. And people couldn't wait to get Polak out of Toronto.

rumman likes this.
  2. Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel Patience

If we're moving Kadri I think it has to be for a D.

I know we're short up the middle which is why maybe it had to be a bigger trade or a subsequent deal for a C would be made.

3. Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel Patience

He's much better than Polak as a player. Also you can look to some surprisingly good advanced numbers on him to help there.

I think you're probably stretching him though if you're pairing him up with Rielly.

4. 4thline

4thline Registered User

*If we're moving Kadri it has to be to reallocate money to the D. No need to limit ourselves to direct transactions.

5. namttebih

namttebih Registered User

Carry on

6. HC7

HC7 Registered User

His highest point total while not playing with Marner during a season is 50. Wow, amazing...

7. DougGilmour93

DougGilmour93 Registered User

Brown
    Gardiner

For

Simmonds
    Gudas

As a base.

8. Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel Patience

No, but in this case I'd rather do both in one trade if I can. Down grading at C, then to use our other assets to get a top 4 D seems both less likely to happen plus going around in a circle.

I would like to get Faksa though if Kadri were to be moved.

9. Jozay

Jozay Registered User

How much did he play with Marner in 2016-17?

pacman25, kb and stickty111 like this.
  10. 4thline

4thline Registered User

More players are acquired in trades for asset packages or signed as free agents than in 1 for 1 hockey trades

11. Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson Registered User

if you omit the 1st month of Zaitsev's season, he's been a perfectly serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman and his aggregate numbers keep creeping back towards his first season results. I honestly think he had some post concussion issues still clearing up early in the season. Ozhiganov has been very good in his usage too. So I think I'm of the opinion that a move like Gudas is pretty unnecessary, we should be looking for someone that can handle top pair competition - if that guy is a short term solution we should not include Liljegren, but if its a long term solution (Hamilton, Parayko, etc) then I'm good with including him

Ricky Bobby and meefer like this.
  12. SprDaVE

SprDaVE Moderator

Zaitsev is still someone you want to move in the very near future because his production doesn't match his cap hit at all, but with that said, he's definitely a serviceable defenseman for the rest of the season.

Ozhiganov is pretty meh, which isn't overly bad but not exactly doing great either. He's good depth. If you can push Hainsey down to the bottom pairing to replace him and find a top pairing defenseman, I think our quality improves tenfold.

13. HC7

HC7 Registered User

Just less than 1/2 of his goals, and 1/3 of his points came off the the PP in which Marner was feeding him empty net tips.

14. Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel Patience

Ok.

But I'd rather get one player of high quality that I'm sure of rather package of maybes.

I'm not saying I'd only trade Kadri in a 1 for 1, yesterday I proposed Hamilton + Necas for Kadri + Sandin. But given what a commodity C's are, especially ones that can score like Kadri. I wouldn't move him unless we're getting a upgrade on D back.

15. FishManSam

FishManSam I pretend to be smart, I’m bad at it

School
    Kadri for Pesce

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
    Johnsson - Matthews - Brown
    Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
    Lindholm - Gauthier - Moore
    Ennis

Rielly - Pesce
    Gardiner - Hainsey
    Dermott - Zaitsev

16. Randy Randerson

I think if you're getting 20-23 mins of top 4 minutes from Zaitsev with respectable results at his cap hit, you're not thrilled but it's fine. His $4.5M AAV will be mid-low 2nd pairing ish as a contract average if the inflation keeps up at the current rate, he's currently paid like a high end #3 in year #2 of 7 so that might actually be conservative for how far that will fall. I honestly wouldn't worry about production for a guy that doesn't get any PP time and who is schemed out of touching the puck where possible, if he can help the team to get and maintain possession while being a reasonable suppressor of chances against top 6 forwards that's good enough imo

I'll disagree on Ozhiganov too, he's been very good in his usage and role. I'm not expecting big things there at all, but he's at least a good bottom pairing dman and I think there's a bit of upside there in that he might be able to do the same thing (be effective, not showy) against top 4 type competition

Our need for these guys to be offensive is really diminished by only having 2 defensemen between the powerplay units, and Zaitsev was actually fine at that last year if he's needed in a pinch

Ports likes this.
  17. Leaffan1991

Leaffan1991 Registered User

Carolina
    Pesce
    Roy
    Kuokaanen

Toronto
    Kadri
    Brown

DougGilmour93 likes this.
  18. SprDaVE

SprDaVE Moderator

I just think the Leafs should and will be able to find a cheaper and effective replacement to Zaitsev if they can actually find a top pairing defenseman that can play the minutes we need. Maybe Zaitsev rises up and shows he can play more minutes and actually contribute offensively but it's not looking that way. I do agree he's been solid this season but the complete lack of puck ability is a big problem.

As for Ozhiganov, it will depend entirely on his next contract. He's a pending RFA. I'm not sure there's much upside there for someone turning 27 next season. If the Leafs can re-sign him on a 1 or maybe 2 year deal for around 800k, then that would be fine. If he's looking for more money than that, I don't know if he'll be around.

19. kb

kb Registered User

Having Faulk allows you to trade Gardiner, which is another win too.

20. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    Why does Philly want Gardiner?

21. DougGilmour93

They couldn’t use a puck moving dman? Seriously, I don’t know. They have Ghost and Provorov. Sanhiem is up and coming. Will Myers ever get a shot? Would there be room for Gardiner?

22. Randy Randerson

If we can find a less expensive Zaitsev I'm all for it, but I wouldn't cut bait on him until we had that replacement. I don't think we'll ever love the contract, but I think it's gotten a worse rap than it will deserve (he was abysmal in October/early Nov, so that would explain it)

average money for a bottom pairing guy is like $1.25M so I think it will be that or less for Ozhiganov. He has very little leverage - RFA, seems like the KHL blackballed him in his last season and $1M is star money there (from what I can gather, its not easy to find that info) and he's already living here. So I think we'll get him on the contract that we want him on. He's a massive upgrade on the Polak ilk, not very noticeable but doesn't buckle under pressure and is efficient in getting the puck back & moved up under control which is pretty ideal with our forward group

23. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    He's a rental and they're last place.

24. DougGilmour93

But, they could build for the future. They should be a playoff contender. They need a goalie pronto, everyone knows that. If they had one who knows where they’d be.

25. dubplatepressure

dubplatepressure Registered User

When's the last time a bottom 5 team loaded up at the TDL?

They'd literally be foregoing a realistic shot at Hughes for one Jake Gardiner.

This is silly.

Menzinger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.