Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd argue Rasanen only because he could be a valuable chip in a deep position. I think if he is a prospect that helps you get someone like Pietrangelo, you do not blink twice.

Same goes for Korshkov. Both are guys at the top of the Leafs' second tier of prospects, or even bottom of the 1st tier. If the Leafs need to include top prospects in a deal, they are great chips to use.

Yeah, but I guess STL will be looking at Sandin, Liljegren and our next couple of 1st rounders before those guys. Younger roster guys like Kapanen and Johnsson as well.

Part of the reason I'm really not that interested in that trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, but I guess STL will be looking at Sandin, Liljegren and our next couple of 1st rounders before those guys. Younger roster guys like Kapanen and Johnsson as well.

I'd do Zaitsev, Liljegren and 2 1sts....1 of those 1sts only transfers after he puts pen to paper for an extension though or we go to a Cup final in 1 of the next 2 years.

I just think our time line is more in line with Pietrangelo in his prime vs Liljegren being 3-5 years from being an impact NHL defenseman, if he's going to become one. 1st rounders are lotto tickets, we might win the jackpot but we kind of need the sure thing on our blue line right now.

I might be in the minority on this though and I understand why.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd do Zaitsev, Liljegren and 2 1sts....1 of those 1sts only transfers after he puts pen to paper for an extension though or we go to a Cup final in 1 of the next 2 years.

I just think our time line is more in line with Pietrangelo in his prime vs Liljegren being 3-5 years from being an impact NHL defenseman, if he's going to become one. 1st rounders are lotto tickets, we might win the jackpot but we kind of need the sure thing on our blue line right now.

I might be in the minority on this though and I understand why.

I like the idea of the second 1st being conditional. Giving up 2 1sts without any guarantees is a tough pill to swallow.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I like the idea of the second 1st being conditional. Giving up 2 1sts without any guarantees is a tough pill to swallow.
Pietrangelo's prime was the last 5 years. We would be lucky if he can play at that level for the next 5 years.

McDonagh was traded for a 1st, 2nd, and Howden. We are not giving up Liljegren for Pietrangelo.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Brown and Zai will both be in a package for Pietra. Add some draft picks and another prospect will probably do it.
Like someone mentioned, I really don’t think Dubas is going to overpay for anyone at the moment. So if Armstrong want a shakeup, then he must take guys like Zai and Brown.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Yeah that was in the Athletic via Mirtle who has some ties with Dubas. Management/Analytics don't really like Zaitsev and what he brings for the value of his contract.

The problem is linking up with another team.

I mean he might have to go in a deal for Pietrangelo but we also would have to pony up some big assets.

2 1sts, Z and Liljegren for Pietrangelo is probably the ballpark. It is costly but we upgrade substantially.

If we see Zaitsev back on the PP, he is being shopped.
He looked good there in his rookie year, and it's where he looked the best.

Play 2 D on the second PP.
Kappanen, Marleau, Nylander, Gardiner, zaitsev. Gardiner is basically a F anyway lol

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we see Zaitsev back on the PP, he is being shopped.
He looked good there in his rookie year, and it's where he looked the best.

Play 2 D on the second PP.
Kappanen, Marleau, Nylander, Gardiner, zaitsev. Gardiner is basically a F anyway lol

Just not sure in a year like this one where we have cup aspirations if they'd throw away minutes to Zaitsev on the PP.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Just not sure in a year like this one where we have cup aspirations if they'd throw away minutes to Zaitsev on the PP.
Who is he replacing, Ennis?
Having a totally different PP2 to PP1 setup would help confuse some teams PKs. Zaitsev does have a good shot.

Cant see him being worse than Ennis.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who is he replacing, Ennis?
Having a totally different PP2 to PP1 setup would help confuse some teams PKs. Zaitsev does have a good shot.

Cant see him being worse than Ennis.

I am kind of surprised that Kapanen still can't get minutes on the PP.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah that was in the Athletic via Mirtle who has some ties with Dubas. Management/Analytics don't really like Zaitsev and what he brings for the value of his contract.

The problem is linking up with another team.

I mean he might have to go in a deal for Pietrangelo but we also would have to pony up some big assets.

2 1sts, Z and Liljegren for Pietrangelo is probably the ballpark. It is costly but we upgrade substantially.
Mirtle was the first but now Kyper brought it up and he's far from analytics. I believe Friedman also mentioned it. And now Jason Botchford also dropped Zaitsevs name.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Good to see Leivo doing well playing on that line in VAN. I bet if he was playing with AM34 he would be holding his own too. I do think we got less than we should have for him, but I don't care much.

Reactions: rumman

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Lots of interesting "rental + 1"s potentially available at the deadline this year

All on currently non-playoff teams

Pietrangelo (6.5)
Spurgeon (5.19)
Vatanen (4.88)
Muzzin (4)
Gudas (3.35)
Daley (3.16)
Pysyk (2.73)

Reactions: Erndog and SprDaVE

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Lots of interesting "rental + 1"s potentially available at the deadline this year

Pietrangelo (6.5)
Spurgeon (5.19)
Vatanen (4.88)
Muzzin (4)
Gudas (3.35)
Daley (3.16)
Pysyk (2.73)

Muzzin and Gudas would help out our defense core immensely. We don't need to go with a big splash.

If there is a way to acquire these 2 and flip Zaitsev we would be better off.

Reilly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Gudas

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Pietrangelo (6.5)
Spurgeon (5.19)
Vatanen (4.88)
Muzzin (4)
Gudas (3.35)
Daley (3.16)
Pysyk (2.73)

Pietrangelo, Spurgeon and Muzzin on that list should be top priority for Dubas to inquire about. The rest are all meh to me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
LeBrun mentioned in his Athletic article that the Flyers have been working the phones hard and want to make a trade(s). Apparently they are looking for veteran D and top 9 forwards. Not sure if we're a fit but like most, I'd love if the Leafs were able to grab Philippe Myers.

Simmonds is also a decent target but I'd be surprised if we go after a rental winger that will cost a lot to acquire.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Pietrangelo, Spurgeon and Muzzin on that list should be top priority for Dubas to inquire about. The rest are all meh to me.

I would add Vatanen to that priority list (ahead of Muzzin), I like the other three (especially with retention) as low cost 4-5's next season.

A 50% retained Daley would be a super savvy low cost add IMO, he's getting buried carrying the weight of a bad team, but properly slotted he would strengthen us a lot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gudas and Pysyk are ok fall back targets too

I think all the names on that list would help us out in some capacity. I'm just looking at the ones that would raise us up a notch or two. I like Gudas and Pysyk though but it would depend on the price and I suspect it would take too much for my liking.

Pietrangelo, Spurgeon and Muzzin are all proven and very capable of playing top pairing minutes and tough matchups, whereas Gudas and Pysyk are middle pairing defenseman.

I would add Vatanen to that priority list (ahead of Muzzin), I like the other three (especially with retention) as low cost 4-5's next season.

A 50% retained Daley would be a super savvy low cost add IMO, he's getting buried carrying the weight of a bad team, but properly slotted he would strengthen us a lot.

I'd rate Muzzin much higher than Vatanen, especially with the season Vatanen is having which hasn't been good from what I've read and seen. I don't think the Devils want to trade him anyway since they just acquired him about a year ago.

Daley would be alright but again, I don't think he would do enough to bolster our quality from the back end. I don't think he would displace any of the defenseman except for maybe Ozhiganov.

We need clear upgrades additions, not just depth additions.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Daley would be alright but again, I don't think he would do enough to bolster our quality from the back end. I don't think he would displace any of the defenseman except for maybe Ozhiganov.

Disagree here, I'd be tempted to put him ahead of Zaits and Hainsey as well.

Additionally to me the second year retained is a big part of the picture as well. A guy that can play both sides and handle heavy usage for <2m would be huge next season, a bonus that he's been there and done that in the playoffs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Disagree here, I'd be tempted to put him ahead of Zaits and Hainsey as well.

Additionally to me the second year retained is a big part of the picture as well. A guy that can play both sides and handle heavy usage for <2m would be huge next season, a bonus that he's been there and done that in the playoffs.

All the players on that list should play over Hainsey and Zaitsev technically. Daley is pretty solid but I don't think he's good enough to play top pairing at all, even if he's better than Hainsey or Zaitsev. The 3 names I listed are all vetted top pairing defenseman that have been playing some of the toughest minutes in the league with good results.

We need to acquire a defenseman that can actually play in the minutes he will be required to play in.

With that said Daley going into next season with Hainsey leaving wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

They can look at that, and the Leafs may be willing to give up Johnsson considering the amount of talent they have coming up, but they are not going to get a solid top 4 RD with term, a quality young NHLer, an A grade prospect and possibly multiple first round picks out of Pietrangelo.

At least they should not be getting it out of us.

Dubas should cap it at Zaitsev, Johnsson, a prospect in the Korshkov/Rasanen range and a 1st. If he is really aggressive, perhaps he throws in a 2nd/another prospect in the Korshkov/Rasanen range. If the Blues get better than that, there are other options the Leafs can explore that are far better cost/benefit ratios.

As nice as Pietrangelo would be to get, he's not worth dismantling a good chunk of the future, and our current roster, to get.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
All the players on that list should play over Hainsey and Zaitsev technically. Daley is pretty solid but I don't think he's good enough to play top pairing at all, even if he's better than Hainsey or Zaitsev. The 3 names I listed are all vetted top pairing defenseman that have been playing some of the toughest minutes in the league with good results.

We need to acquire a defenseman that can actually play in the minutes he will be required to play in.

With that said Daley going into next season with Hainsey leaving wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Concern I have with Muzzin is that he is a pure LD, and although he has been going up against top pairing competition, it as always been with Doughty, a consistent Norris candidate and occasional winner. I mean playing with Rielly would not be significantly worse than that (assuming that they play together), especially the way Rielly has been playing this year, but I would not pay an inflated price for a guy who is going to get a major boost from his QoT.

I think I will always personally prefer Martinez from LA. He seems like a perfect fit for what the Leafs need, and in terms of cost.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Concern I have with Muzzin is that he is a pure LD, and although he has been going up against top pairing competition, it as always been with Doughty, a consistent Norris candidate and occasional winner. I mean playing with Rielly would not be significantly worse than that (assuming that they play together), especially the way Rielly has been playing this year, but I would not pay an inflated price for a guy who is going to get a major boost from his QoT.

I think I will always personally prefer Martinez from LA. He seems like a perfect fit for what the Leafs need, and in terms of cost.

Muzzin has played a lot with Martinez with good results. This year especially.

Move Rielly to the right and play Muzzin with him, you'll see a massive upgrade in our top pairing and defensive abilities.

He's shown to be a darn good 2-way defenseman and capable of playing very tough minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad