Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Why do people want Tyler Myers?

On the eye, he looks like a tire fire and his advanced stats are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Dude is absolutely one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. On top of that he is injury prone.
6'8", RD, skates well, 48 point rookie season.

Of course his rookie season was 10 years ago and he's been pretty average to bad ever since. But that hype he created still lives in a lot of fans minds.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Remember when we traded Kaberle and Franson? The price was a late 1st round pick + B prospects

Not really relevant anymore. Draft pick valuation has risen considerably from then to now so where you previously saw 1sts and 2nds tossed around you are far less likely to see that now as the development curve for NHL players peaks earlier in age and declines faster, with less players playing meaningful hockey into their mid 30s.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I could see this being the leafs deadline:

3rd round pick to Los Angeles for hagelin at 50% (they have the blues 4th rounder, so picks balance out)

Brown for Pysyk to Florida

or

Brown + 4th for Gudas

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Coyle and Staal would be the players most likely moved for assets by Fenton should they not be in a playoff position this year, no?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Not really relevant anymore. Draft pick valuation has risen considerably from then to now so where you previously saw 1sts and 2nds tossed around you are far less likely to see that now as the development curve for NHL players peaks earlier in age and declines faster, with less players playing meaningful hockey into their mid 30s.

Therefore, could it be said that our 1st rounder could be the primary asset in a trade for a good D-man?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs should really target Faulk this trade deadline. I think canes are likely not going to meet his contract demands on an extensions and will make a move proactively.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Coyle and Staal would be the players most likely moved for assets by Fenton should they not be in a playoff position this year, no?
They're definitely candidates, as is Nino. Zucker's name doesn't get mentioned as much, but he's another LW that hasn't exactly been on fire this year. He was also in a rumored deal with Arizona last spring. I don't see why he would be completely off the table.

Spurgeon's hard to gauge. Some fans are interested in moving him because his future with the team is uncertain, but it's hard to tell what Fenton thinks. He keeps a pretty tight lid on things and has yet to make a major move. Either way, with Dumba injured Minnesota might get some insight into what our RD depth really looks like over the next few weeks.

Historically though, the Wild always scrape and claw their way into the playoffs, or at least hang around on the bubble until the deadline.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs should really target Faulk this trade deadline. I think canes are likely not going to meet his contract demands on an extensions and will make a move proactively.

It’s not a popular idea around here but it does make sense as long as the price is right.

He’d be cheaper than other TDL acquisitions and would be the team’s Best RHd

Reactions: jaric1862

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My "this will never happen but I can wish god damn it!" proposal..

Spurgeon and Nino for Zaitsev, Johnsson, Bracco, rights to Aaltonen, a 2019 1st and a 2nd in 2020. Hmmmmmmmm...

Play Nino on the left (he's left handed and has done it before I believe). Bump Hainsey down with Gardiner for the season.

This only works with Brown traded in the off-season and if Matthews and Marner don't make top top top end money. At the end of the day, adding Nino probably doesn't make much sense because of his cap hit/term and production, but I believe he's capable of so much more offensively and he could be a buy "low" option. Either way, I'm probably not giving enough in this trade but I think it fixes a few things going forward.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Spurgeon is exactly what the Leafs need, and the team could potentially offer up a nice futures centric package if Fenton wants capspace.

But I suspect he keeps things largely in place this year to see how the team does in the playoffs

Reactions: SprDaVE

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They're definitely candidates, as is Nino. Zucker's name doesn't get mentioned as much, but he's another LW that hasn't exactly been on fire this year. He was also in a rumored deal with Arizona last spring. I don't see why he would be completely off the table.

Spurgeon's hard to gauge. Some fans are interested in moving him because his future with the team is uncertain, but it's hard to tell what Fenton thinks. He keeps a pretty tight lid on things and has yet to make a major move. Either way, with Dumba injured Minnesota might get some insight into what our RD depth really looks like over the next few weeks.

Historically though, the Wild always scrape and claw their way into the playoffs, or at least hang around on the bubble until the deadline.

It seems more likely that Fenton would move forwards than defenders given available options & market factors IMHO if he makes a move. Finishing outside of playoffs might factor into the equation as well as noted by others.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It seems more likely that Fenton would move forwards than defenders given available options & market factors IMHO.
I'm inclined to agree, especially with him spending so many years in Nashville. And all of the trade whispers up until this point have involved forwards rather than defenseman. It's hard to say where his head is at, though.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Hasn't it been said about a million times already?

Yes correct. And, if we hope for a good, top 4 defender, it will take (at least) another good asset as well. Most teams will have a Brown/Johnsson level asset/prospect in their system already as well. You can get them in rounds #2 - 7 in the draft sooner versus later as you have 6 rounds (2nd to 7th) each year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
On what areas of need have to be addressed to make the Leafs better

I think we are always looking to improve the team wherever we can. We would like to continue to move the puck better from our own zone. I think some of that falls on our forwards to get open and available, and on the defense to execute when they are open and available.

It is an area that we continue to want to improve upon. I think it is an area where we can make great gains and continue to improve as a club. If that isn’t something that’s happening as we get closer to the end of February, I think we will certainly look to improve.

Mike Augello - Dubas not concerned about offer sheets,plans to get Matthews, Marner signed

RLF

May 5, 2014
6'8", RD, skates well, 48 point rookie season.

Of course his rookie season was 10 years ago and he's been pretty average to bad ever since. But that hype he created still lives in a lot of fans minds.

In all fairness, Myers plays mostly with Morrow and is definitely carrying Morrow. His second most is Kulikov and he carries that pairing as well. Both of those two 's numbers are abysmal without Myers, yet Myers improves without them. When he plays with good defencemen, his numbers improve, yet theirs don't move too much without Myers. The biggest problem with Myers has been injuries. When healthy for any length of time, he has been a top 4 guy. He gets injured too much and is having to get back up to speed too often. If he can stay healthy, he is much better than given credit for on here.imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille