Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be very curious to see what assets our management considers expendable at the deadline. I would assume Sandin and Lili are nearly untouchable at this point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd be very curious to see what assets our management considers expendable at the deadline. I would assume Sandin and Lili are nearly untouchable at this point.
We heard of Leivo and Pickard this past off-season and both are gone.

The latest smoke seems to point to Zaitsev being out there. I think his name will be linked to a lot of rumours and I think we could potentially see him traded in the near future.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Leafs should be looking at Parayko if they are moving for a defenseman from St. Louis. Signed long term, right age, size and is effective at both ends of the ice.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs should be looking at Parayko if they are moving for a defenseman from St. Louis. Signed long term, right age, size and is effective at both ends of the ice.

I doubt he’s in the market though. He’s young enough to last through a rebuild and still be in his prime

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The latest smoke seems to point to Zaitsev being out there. I think his name will be linked to a lot of rumours and I think we could potentially see him traded in the near future.

He’s definitely the name to watch. Was a Lou signing, and some of his underlying numbers aren’t pretty. He also has an NTC that will kick in come this offseason, meaning if Dubas is thinking about a trade it’ll happen sometime between now and June.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I doubt he’s in the market though. He’s young enough to last through a rebuild and still be in his prime

This is always how it goes.

Person 1: we should get player A.
Person 2: but what about the cost
Person 3: low-ball offer
Person 4: more realistic offer
Person 5: that's too high we shouldnt be paying that, discuss others

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What about taking a run at Karlsson after the playoffs? Willie and Zaits will have to be dealt to find the money of course but " this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and we knew we had to make some hard decisions" Also "we promised Erik that we would sign him so that cancelled out Willie's promise":laugh:

EK doesn't look worth $10+ right now but there is a lot of hockey to play.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What about taking a run at Karlsson after the playoffs? Willie and Zaits will have to be dealt to find the money of course but " this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and we knew we had to make some hard decisions" Also "we promised Erik that we would sign him so that cancelled out Willie's promise":laugh:

EK doesn't look worth $10+ right now but there is a lot of hockey to play.

D men with broken leg histories age like rotten milk on a hot day.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

With his NTC coming into effect on July 1st, I think he'll be dealt by then at this point ... I haven't seen enough in his game to warrant keeping him for the next 5 years with limitations on where he can be moved. Of course he could all of a sudden put it together and take his game up a notch.

Given the Leafs cap constraints in the near future I don't see management risking any dead cap space.

Reactions: SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yeah that was in the Athletic via Mirtle who has some ties with Dubas. Management/Analytics don't really like Zaitsev and what he brings for the value of his contract.

The problem is linking up with another team.

I mean he might have to go in a deal for Pietrangelo but we also would have to pony up some big assets.

2 1sts, Z and Liljegren for Pietrangelo is probably the ballpark. It is costly but we upgrade substantially.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
There are 3 prospects with decent value that I am more than fine with trading right now that I believe may be available:

Andreas Borgman
Dmytro Timashov
Eemeli Rasanen

Borgman and Timashov are caught in a numbers game at their respective positions that will affect their ability to wear the Maple Leaf. In Rasanen's case, he is a recent 2nd rounder with size, but I personally like all of Liljegren, Durzi and Hollowell better (and I think Dubas might as well, as he values mobility and puck movement)

All 3 should have decent value as B prospects. Combine 2 of them and a pick for a rental D.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There are 3 prospects with decent value that I am more than fine with trading right now that I believe may be available:

Andreas Borgman
Dmytro Timashov
Eemeli Rasanen

Borgman and Timashov are caught in a numbers game at their respective positions that will affect their ability to wear the Maple Leaf. In Rasanen's case, he is a recent 2nd rounder with size, but I personally like all of Liljegren, Durzi and Hollowell better (and I think Dubas might as well, as he values mobility and puck movement)

All 3 should have decent value as B prospects. Combine 2 of them and a pick for a rental D.

One guy that might be worth grabbing is Boris Katchouk from TBL. Early struggles there in the AHL, maybe they'd take a combo of both Borgman and Timashov?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah that was in the Athletic via Mirtle who has some ties with Dubas. Management/Analytics don't really like Zaitsev and what he brings for the value of his contract.

The problem is linking up with another team.

I mean he might have to go in a deal for Pietrangelo but we also would have to pony up some big assets.

2 1sts, Z and Liljegren for Pietrangelo is probably the ballpark. It is costly but we upgrade substantially.

I think any sort of Pietrangelo-Zaitsev deal hinges on STL actually liking and valuing Zaitsev, in which case it would be a substantial overpay on the Leafs' part. If they do not like Zaitsev, I do not think the Leafs are going to be willing to give up the 2 1sts and Liljegren to get Pietrangelo, especially for only a year and a half.

I think if STL actually values Zaitsev properly, a deal like Zaitsev, Johnsson, a prospect or two (I can see Korshkov, Borgman, Rasanen, etc. being good fits) and our 1st this year would be what Dubas sticks with. Dubas can shop Zaitsev all he wants, but I do not think he is just going to give a super valuable asset away for nothing. So then it just comes down to how Armstrong views Zaitsev, and chances are it'll be a lot more favourable than how most on this board view him. Especially since I do not think Armstrong wants a full scale rebuild as much as just a major shake up. This gives them something for the future, but also helps them out a lot right now.

There are also still moves the Leafs could make to replace Zaitsev right after that, and still move Hainsey down to the bottom pairing. The Gardiner/Brown/Martinez/Thompson proposal would still fit well, with Martinez on the 2nd pairing instead. The main thing would be finding a top 9 forward to replace Johnsson, but the Leafs could go bold and just use Grundstrom to fill the spot. He looks NHL ready, much like a Johnsson before becoming a full time player in the playoffs, and he is exactly the style of player the Leafs would want to fill that spot for no cost.

The lineup could look something like this:
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Grundstrom-Kadri-Kapanen
Thompson-Lindholm-Ennis
Gauthier

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Hainsey-Martinez
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Marincin-Holl

Andersen-Sparks

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think any sort of Pietrangelo-Zaitsev deal hinges on STL actually liking and valuing Zaitsev, in which case it would be a substantial overpay on the Leafs' part. If they do not like Zaitsev, I do not think the Leafs are going to be willing to give up the 2 1sts and Liljegren to get Pietrangelo, especially for only a year and a half.

I think if STL actually values Zaitsev properly, a deal like Zaitsev, Johnsson, a prospect or two (I can see Korshkov, Borgman, Rasanen, etc. being good fits) and our 1st this year would be what Dubas sticks with. Dubas can shop Zaitsev all he wants, but I do not think he is just going to give a super valuable asset away for nothing. So then it just comes down to how Armstrong views Zaitsev, and chances are it'll be a lot more favourable than how most on this board view him. Especially since I do not think Armstrong wants a full scale rebuild as much as just a major shake up. This gives them something for the future, but also helps them out a lot right now.

There are also still moves the Leafs could make to replace Zaitsev right after that, and still move Hainsey down to the bottom pairing. The Gardiner/Brown/Martinez/Thompson proposal would still fit well, with Martinez on the 2nd pairing instead. The main thing would be finding a top 9 forward to replace Johnsson, but the Leafs could go bold and just use Grundstrom to fill the spot. He looks NHL ready, much like a Johnsson before becoming a full time player in the playoffs, and he is exactly the style of player the Leafs would want to fill that spot for no cost.

The lineup could look something like this:
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Grundstrom-Kadri-Kapanen
Thompson-Lindholm-Ennis
Gauthier

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Hainsey-Martinez
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Marincin-Holl

Andersen-Sparks

A lot to respond to so I will do my best here.

We could make the 2020 1st conditional upon 1 of 2 things, either Pietrangelo re-signing (my ideal choice) or us making the Stanley Cup finals in 1 of the next 2 years.

In terms of Zaitsev's value to St.Louis, it is basically as a guy who can slide in on their 2nd pairing and eat minutes. They wouldn't have anyone that could do that for them if he wasn't in the deal. They can likely shuffle him over to Seattle in the expansion draft afterwards.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Andreas Borgman
Dmytro Timashov
Eemeli Rasanen

Add Korshkov to that list as well. It'll be tough to fit him in the mix, but he is a piece that many teams would go for, even with his injuries. He's an NHL ready prospect who is 22 years old, and has at least top 9 potential. Teams like those guys in returns.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Andreas Borgman
Dmytro Timashov
Eemeli Rasanen

Borgman and Timashov sure, Rasanen no.

I agree the first two are caught up in numbers game and they will be waiver eligible soon. But with Rasanen he's a fair bit younger than the other two and at different stage of development.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
A lot to respond to so I will do my best here.

We could make the 2020 1st conditional upon 1 of 2 things, either Pietrangelo re-signing (my ideal choice) or us making the Stanley Cup finals in 1 of the next 2 years.

In terms of Zaitsev's value to St.Louis, it is basically as a guy who can slide in on their 2nd pairing and eat minutes. They wouldn't have anyone that could do that for them if he wasn't in the deal. They can likely shuffle him over to Seattle in the expansion draft afterwards.

I think Dubas tries to fight for the 2019 pick just due to draft quality, and then do not make it conditional. Just straight up, you get a 2019 1st, Zaitsev, Johnsson, and let's just say two B prospects like Korshkov, Rasanen or Borgman. I like Zaitsev, but if you get a quality extension on Pietrangelo, and get a guy like Martinez to replace Zaitsev, I think that is fair value for him. And he does fit well with what STL is going to do, so I think they'd value him properly in this type of deal. I just do not think there is a deal to be done if STL thinks he is a cap dump or anything less than a good 2nd pairing RD.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Borgman and Timashov sure, Rasanen no.

I agree the first two are caught up in numbers game and they will be waiver eligible soon. But with Rasanen he's a fair bit younger than the other two and at different stage of development.

I'd argue Rasanen only because he could be a valuable chip in a deep position. I think if he is a prospect that helps you get someone like Pietrangelo, you do not blink twice.

Same goes for Korshkov. Both are guys at the top of the Leafs' second tier of prospects, or even bottom of the 1st tier. If the Leafs need to include top prospects in a deal, they are great chips to use.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Dubas tries to fight for the 2019 pick just due to draft quality, and then do not make it conditional. Just straight up, you get a 2019 1st, Zaitsev, Johnsson, and let's just say two B prospects like Korshkov, Rasanen or Borgman. I like Zaitsev, but if you get a quality extension on Pietrangelo, and get a guy like Martinez to replace Zaitsev, I think that is fair value for him. And he does fit well with what STL is going to do, so I think they'd value him properly in this type of deal. I just do not think there is a deal to be done if STL thinks he is a cap dump or anything less than a good 2nd pairing RD.

I don't think you're giving up enough in that deal for Pietrangelo, I would rather have 2 1sts, Liljegren and Zaitsev then Zaitsev,, 1st, Johnsson and any of the prospects.

Historically the deal McDonagh got NYR or Pronger/Anaheim before that indicate a top pairing defenseman's value is more in line with what I am offering. It'll hurt to trade the pieces but gotta give to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->