Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Yes, but assuming that he goes to UFA, which seems likely, he's still going to be a rare RHD, with a decent record over his career. People might look and see, his minutes have been dropped by three minutes a game, and he's being used in more of a defensive role. His even strength points aren't far off, but his PP is substantially off, as is his TOI for the PP..... so the question will become, is this a performance, or usage thing? Given the lack of RHD out there, will someone step up and pay, due to Supply vs. Demand?

So, my estimate might have overpaid him by $1mil... or not... I'm not sure it's wholly relevant when trying to estimate a team cap anyway....

His numbers are down because he is mainly playing 3rd pair because they have Trouba and Buf ahead of him. Jets have often talked about what a luxury to have a D like Myers as a 3rd pair guy. Not worried about his numbers, I believe it's from usage. Guy I would definitely look at...depending on term and AAV of course.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Trade him.

Tools are there, he hasn't put it together yet. I'd bring him back if possible. May be a late bloomer in adapting to rink size and style of play here. One more year wouldn't hurt.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Tools are there, he hasn't put it together yet. I'd bring him back if possible. May be a late bloomer in adapting to rink size and style of play here. One more year wouldn't hurt.

Where are we going to fit him going forward, even if he does well? Rielly, Dermott and Rosen are all options who will occupy his job for the foreseeable future, with Sandin as a guy coming up really fast behind as well. Then who knows about Gordeev, and it is not hard to find FA's to replace what he could do as well.

I think he gets dealt and given that opportunity elsewhere. Give us a pick, and then the developmental time will be shifted towards Gordeev (possibly) and Sandin, plus maybe another European FA.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Where are we going to fit him going forward, even if he does well? Rielly, Dermott and Rosen are all options who will occupy his job for the foreseeable future, with Sandin as a guy coming up really fast behind as well. Then who knows about Gordeev, and it is not hard to find FA's to replace what he could do as well.

I think he gets dealt and given that opportunity elsewhere. Give us a pick, and then the developmental time will be shifted towards Gordeev (possibly) and Sandin, plus maybe another European FA.

Ok, but he also brings an element those other guys don't. He can play a physical game and is much stronger than they are. As much as the game is trending to speed and skill, there is always a place for physical defencemen that can skate and move the puck. Borgman has those assets. even if he hasn't figured it all out yet (maybe he never will). The AHL is not just all rookies, you need some vets down there as well. You may be right. But I just don't see how it would hurt to give him more time when he has assets, that as an organization, we have little of.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If there is a way to resign Borgman for one more season after this I would. I would even give him a similar deal to what Rosen signed. He's depth and like mentioned may be a late bloomer. At worst he's an AHL dman like Marincin has been the past couple of seasons.

In the end with dmen at a premium, letting him walk would be very stupid on the Leafs part. Although he was out of place with the Leafs last season, he wasn't any worse then someone like Polak which we deployed for most of the season. Why let him walk. See if he develops.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Borgman, I wonder if the leafs have plans for him.

He's arb eligible this summer

And he's already making 925k. Unless they can get a deal done that'll pay him similar to Rosen prior to seasons end, his arbitration could price him out of Toronto where every cap dollar counts.

He very well could be dealt. I can see a team taking a flyer on him. He had multiple suitors as a free agent not too long ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:leafs
Alex Pietrangelo

:blues
Nikita Zaitsev
Andreas Johnsson
Sean Durzi
2019 lottery protected 1st
That doesn't seem like very much to pay to obtain a player like Pietrangelo.

If they could work out a deal, I'd like them to expand it and try and get Schenn as well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Damn that TB team looks deep everywhere. Not much of a drop off up front whereas our 4th line is a huge drop off.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Taking into consideration of where teams are, where we are, cap space and possible availability. Thought I would throw together a quick list of possible Leaf targets based on the above that may be available or become available.

Panthers-Need major changes or at least some changes as they continue to underachieve.
Sceviour-3 years left on cheap contract and is a good 4th liner who can move up the line up if needed. Cheaper than Connor brown
Petrovic-UFA after this season-Would add RHD depth. Penalty kills and can play physical if needed
Bjustad-Good contract and can play centre or wing. Having a down year. Would play on top 9 wing and could play centre if injuries

Flyers-Looking to make changes. Want to improve immediately
Simmonds-Much talked about pending UFA-makes sense on many levels, but ask may be too much.
Laughton-Good 4th line centre who could move up if needed. Pending RFA.
Myers-Big, good skating RHD that looks to be NHL ready or very close.
Gudas-One more season on decent contract. Would help shore up right side

Blues-Just a mess and may be looking for rebuild/retool
Parayko-For all the obvious reasons. All about the ask
Maroon-Cheap veteran depth who has shown he has the ability to be able to score. Would add size
Pietrangelo-(Long shot)-I do beleive this is a huge long shot, but so was Tavares. All about the ask

Kings-Team in massive decline-may be looking to go younger
Muzzin-Good solid vet with a year left on his contract.
Clifford-A 4th liner who could move up if needed and would add some size and strength. another year left on decent contract

Longshot teams

Oilers-
May want to mix things up a bit and get some more speed in lineup
Kassian-(Longshot)over paid for what he brings and his off ice issues could end up being a problem. If the Leafs feel they need to add some nastiness. He would fit the bill and shouldn't cost much to acquire

Hawks-Team getting older and in decline. May be time to retool
Seabrook(Massive Longshot)-Playoff beast, but is close to decline. Contract is a huge issue. But if the Hawks were willing to retain at least a mil and Zaitsev also went the other way...Not saying it will happen, but you know Babcock would love to have the guy.

RLF

May 5, 2014
That doesn't seem like very much to pay to obtain a player like Pietrangelo.

If they could work out a deal, I'd like them to expand it and try and get Schenn as well.

No, I don't think we get Pietrangelo for that. He still has a year left at a good cap hit. You may be looking at something like Dermott, Kapanen, 2019 1st as far as value would go.imo

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Damn that TB team looks deep everywhere. Not much of a drop off up front whereas our 4th line is a huge drop off.

No reason why our team cannot be just as great. We are choosing to deploy players like Ennis, Gauthier and Lindholm on the 4th line. We have better players in the AHL that would better suit our team. Grundstrom, Moore, Marchment, Mueller and Greening would all do better then those players. Give us the size and grit needed, and forcheck.

If I were the Leafs I would demote Lindholm, bring up Greening and Grundstrom, move Ennis to press box.

4th line should be Brown-Greening-Grundstrom. Let them skate, use their size and bang.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, I don't think we get Pietrangelo for that. He still has a year left at a good cap hit. You may be looking at something like Dermott, Kapanen, 2019 1st as far as value would go.imo
Agreed.
No way they look to move Dermott, IMO.

Nylander, 1st, prospect
for
Pietrangelo
Schenn

probably not enough

RLF

May 5, 2014
Agreed.
No way they look to move Dermott, IMO.

Nylander, 1st, prospect
for
Pietrangelo
Schenn

probably not enough

No, don't think Dermott gets moved or some other pieces STL would likely want. Piet is a longshot and adding Schenn in would be almost impossible. imo

Reactions: ACC1224

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Llijgren, Zaitsev, Johnsson, Brown, '19 1st Rounder

for

Pietrangelo, Schenn

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Schenn
Ennis-Lindholm-Grundstrum

Reilly-Pietrangelo
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-Oz OR Rosen-Hainsey

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Russo: Goaltending crisis, Koivu's hurt, team's swooning —...
Multiple league sources have told The Athletic that Charlie Coyle is very much being dangled.

Now, that really shouldn’t come as a shock considering how tough a season he had last year and how hopes of a bounce-back season have dwindled with a four-goal, nine-assist start to this season.

It is believed that Eastern Conference teams Ottawa, Montreal and Boston have at least shown interest and are watching Coyle closely. The Canadiens have shown interest in prior years, too.

There’s also little doubt Fenton would trade Nino Niederreiter, a three-time 20-goal scorer who had an injury-plagued season a year ago and who scored his fourth goal of the season Friday. He is in the second year of a five-year deal and Boudreau is having a tough time finding the left-shot winger a place to fit in the top-9. He’s a left-shot winger pretty much playing out of position on the right side.

The Wild, continuing a trend of Fenton’s predecessor, desperately need a right-shot winger who can score.

But they could suddenly need a center, too.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Zaitsev, Liljegren, 1st, Korshkov for Pie

Pie has declined a bit but man he'd be a great fit.

It will have to hurt us quite a bit to get him and we'd have to move salary.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
:leafs
Alex Pietrangelo

:blues
Nikita Zaitsev
Andreas Johnsson
Sean Durzi
2019 lottery protected 1st

Seriously, why does St. Louis have any interest in such a package? That's terrible for them, and not even in the ballpark. To get Pietrangelo, you are going to need to trade something you really don't want to.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Seriously, why does St. Louis have any interest in such a package? That's terrible for them, and not even in the ballpark. To get Pietrangelo, you are going to need to trade something you really don't want to.
Agreed, no chance it happens without Nylander going the other way.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
TBH, Parayko should be the target, not Pietrangelo. Not sure we want to give up the assets for either (Zaitsev/Brown/Johnsson aren't going to get it done).

Parayko's impact at both ends of the ice are greater than Pietrangelo, where he mostly lacks on the defensive end.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Forget Piet, it was just speculation based on a logical fit. The reality is Pieterangelo is married to someone from St Louis an they just had triplets.....and he's their captain

NJ struggling id kick tires on Severson and lesser extent Vatanen

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Who did Tampa give up for McDonagh that they really didn't want to, and who did San Jose give up for Karlsson that they really didn't want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille