Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think it would be very difficult to find a team that would need, and take both...but in separate deals... we could move Gardiner, flip that and Nylander for someone.... but they'd have to be one heck of a D.

I think you'd be better going with a Manson/Pesce if they were at all available, with an addition from their side, for Nylander.

Then Gardiner for whatever he fetches... prospects/picks.... and use those to try and have a healthy supply of decent players on ELC's.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Top Line Winger + Quality #3 D-Man

You better be getting a darn good return
I'm not huge on trading Nylander but I want Gardiner off this team. A quality number 3 with an IQ above 80 for gardiner please.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Agree with Jack Bauer about bringing in a third team. Unless Gardiner is going to be signing a contract extension, any team interested in him would be an expected playoff team. That team could very well be interested in Nylander as well, but that would be a lot of cap going there.

Without being signed, Gardiner brings back more of a futures package (maybe with an NHLer in there, likely for cap reasons). Would have to know why Nylander hasn't signed yet to better determine any trade value. There's obviously enough of a difference contract-wise between team and player/agent atm, but I'm not yet convinced it's an irreparable one.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
PK Subban for Nylander, Gardiner (extended) ,+ ?

Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Hyman
Leivo Kadri Kapanen
Grundstrom Lindholm Brown

Reilly Subban
Dermott Zaitsev
Oz Hainsey

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd argue they have less interest in watching another UFA leave for nothing in return.

If you can turn Nylander+Gardiner into a sure fire top pairing defenceman with an even somewhat reasonable AAV on a long term deal you do it. But those situations just don't exist or else it would already be done.

These 2 are likely taking up $12-$14 million in cap space in 12 months time lets not forget.

Not if they are serious about a cup run.

They are better than they were last season, and last season they were perfectly content with losing JvR and Bozak for nothing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matt Martin lost his full time spot around Game 40 last year and Ron Hainsey looks much worse.

Yeah.

Babs does learns and adapt - it just takes him a bit longer than some would prefer. Which is a nice change from Randy “I don’t know what the problem is” Carlyle who could see there were problems but had zero idea how to fix them

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not if they are serious about a cup run.

They are better than they were last season, and last season they were perfectly content with losing JvR and Bozak for nothing.

I kind of think Lou was perfectly content and thats partly why he's gone. Move Gardner to replace with a better defensive natural right shot D who has some term on his deal. Willie at $7M or more is a better fit on a club with a lot more cap space who can use and pay him like their marqee talent. Between those two some kind of plus in addition to the D would be coming back I think, but thats the smaller piece of the deal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Matt Martin lost his full time spot around Game 40 last year and Ron Hainsey looks much worse.

Martin was a 4th liner that did not play any special teams though. There also was an NHL ready winger in Kapanen to promote.

Hopefully ideas are starting to take shape in eventually replacing Hainsey at ES and on the PK as I can't imagine he returns next season, but tough to say how soon those happen. Your timeline could be apt. The quickest (maybe easiest?) attempt might be to switch Hainsey with Zaitsev. Otherwise, any other move potentially causes quite the overhaul in the defence group as a whole, though that could make sense too by the 30 game mark.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Right now I think we should be heavily shopping Brown (and I like him) for someone with a little more experience on D.
Someone to help when Hainsey wears even more and since Oz is a rookie.
Then we can move one of Kappy/Johnsson with Kadri and find someone better at cycling (heavier not goon) for the 4th line.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
I think it would be very difficult to find a team that would need, and take both...but in separate deals... we could move Gardiner, flip that and Nylander for someone.... but they'd have to be one heck of a D.

I think you'd be better going with a Manson/Pesce if they were at all available, with an addition from their side, for Nylander.

Then Gardiner for whatever he fetches... prospects/picks.... and use those to try and have a healthy supply of decent players on ELC's.

Panarin/Jones for Nylander/Gardiner would be a good starting point imo; both teams get a quality young player in a position of need plus a talented rental. I'd imagine Toronto would have to add some picks or prospects though

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Edmundson is another guy we can look at. He was scratched tonight by the blues. The blues currently have 7 good Defenseman. Someone has to sit.

Reilly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott
Edmundson-Oziganov
Hainsey

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Panarin/Jones for Nylander/Gardiner would be a good starting point imo; both teams get a quality young player in a position of need plus a talented rental. I'd imagine Toronto would have to add some picks or prospects though

You wouldn't get Jones or Werenski and Panarin will cost more than Nylander to resign. Willie's dug in position looking for UFA money has me concerned that Matthews and Marner may be the same way when their turn comes which means a ten cent defense after Gards walks because his money is spent on the big 3.

The agents are driving the bus now and they have no incentive to be flexible because Cups don't put extra money in their pockets. Even though the same cap is still spent, big impressive deals for their young clients will attract more young clients. I really doubt Willie would be holding out for more money than Pasta without Gross' input.

I'm definitely not anti Nylander but the financial realities may determine the next step with him.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010

It's an interesting idea, but I think you're undervaluing Jones. He has considerably more value than Nylander IMO.

Jones> Nylander
Panarin>Gardiner

The adds from the Leeafs would have to be very significant for them to do something like this and I'm not even sure what we could offer. A late first isn't much, I don't think the Leafs should move Lijegren... just don't see a swap working out with these players.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Columbus laughs at that

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Edmundson is another guy we can look at. He was scratched tonight by the blues. The blues currently have 7 good Defenseman. Someone has to sit.

Reilly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott
Edmundson-Oziganov
Hainsey
Would be a huge add, but you don't play him on the third pair. He and Pietrangelo have meshed well together, you could do something similar by switching Rielly to his off-side and keeping the rest of the pairings in tact.

He's a potential buy-low guy right now who would fit like a glove.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Would be a huge add, but you don't play him on the third pair. He and Pietrangelo have meshed well together, you could do something similar by switching Rielly to his off-side and keeping the rest of the pairings in tact.

He's a potential buy-low guy right now who would fit like a glove.
I'd be interested in him as well. But why is he scratched for the blues

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'd be interested in him as well. But why is he scratched for the blues

Like I said, they have 7 Defenseman who's all worthy of playing time.

I dont expect Edmundson to be scratched every game. Might be a rotation going in St. Louis. We can help them out if thats the case

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That you think one is a little too much, and the other not enough... Kind of minor details aren't they?

Maybe, we can be more creative in responses and say... Gauthier isn't enough... maybe add a second, or a third, or something to balance it out. We shall see how his progress is this year, though you are right, his draft year was his best, and he's plateaued.... a bit like the other Gauthier who was also big and physically dominant.... But, if he can progress his game, he has skating and a shot... with the right players around him, he could be useful.

As far as Bean, then add something from our side...

I think it's clear, the deal is Nylander for Pesce, and enough to make it an even trade from there... however you value it, or the next person, or Dubas and co....

We'll see where it goes...Pesce is a very good defenseman but just don't know if I would be satisfied if he was the addition.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ritchie would look damn good in a Leafs uniform. Local boy too.

If we weren't so focused on Nylander right now, I would think Dubas might take a look.

I would trade either Brown or Johnsson for him in a heartbeat

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Connor Brown for Nick Ritchie
Johnsson for Edmundson

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Leivo-Kadri-Kapanen
Ritchie-Lindholm-Ennis

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Edmundson
Dermott-Oziganov
Hainsey

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Manson + Ritchie for Nylander + ? Who says no? What’s the second piece From TML? Brown? Draft pick?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The side that gets the best player tends to win the deal most of the time. Ritchie is just a depth player. Ducks come out on top

I’m not entirely sure Nylander will be better than Manson. Not many defensemen can put up 37 points without PP time... and offense is probably the weakest part of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad