Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If Lou came knocking on the door for Willy I’d be willing to listen to a deal centering around Noah Dobson and a top 10 protected 1st.

Dobson is going to be an elite #1RHD imo but he’s only 18 so we might be able to scoop him while he’s still not there yet. I predict after the WJC he will just not be available anymore. I would have taken him as high as #3 in this past draft.

We’d miss Willy sure but we have lots of young winger depth and top line RH dmen don’t grow on trees.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If Lou came knocking on the door for Willy I’d be willing to listen to a deal centering around Noah Dobson and a top 10 protected 1st.

Dobson is going to be an elite #1RHD imo but he’s only 18 so we might be able to scoop him while he’s still not there yet. I predict after the WJC he will just not be available anymore. I would have taken him as high as #3 in this past draft.

We’d miss Willy sure but we have lots of young winger depth and top line RH dmen don’t grow on trees.
That’d be a tough deal to sell, but I get and dig the idea.
Hope it doesn’t go that way, but I can get behind anybody being traded if it betters the team.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If Nylander is traded, and let's hope things don't go that way, why does anyone assume he's returning a player of equal stature? A player of equal stature will be entitled to (and probably already earning) similar money to Nylander. That kind of defeats the point of moving Nylander.

The only way I can anticipate getting a player with equal talent as Nylander is acquiring a recently drafted player who still has a few years to burn on his ELC. That would be tough as teams tend to love these guys: they're young and cheap and full of upside.

A trade of Nylander seems likely to be for a "good" current NHL asset and many future assets.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Nylander is traded, and let's hope things don't go that way, why does anyone assume he's returning a player of equal stature? A player of equal stature will be entitled to (and probably already earning) similar money to Nylander. That kind of defeats the point of moving Nylander.

The only way I can anticipate getting a player with equal talent as Nylander is acquiring a recently drafted player who still has a few years to burn on his ELC. That would be tough as teams tend to love these guys: they're young and cheap and full of upside.

A trade of Nylander seems likely to be for a "good" current NHL asset and many future assets.

It really would have to be a Johansen for Jones kind of trade for it to make any form of sense for me. A young top forward for a top young defenseman. I just don't see the Leafs trading that kind of talent for package of prospects and/or picks.

Heiskanen would have been a target since apparently his name was sort of out there for a little bit for a big name but I think that shipped sailed. Trouba? Another contract hold out in the making. Lindholm in Anaheim? Unlikely after they lost so many defensemen. Werenski?Pesce? Parayko? Maybe.

I just don't see a fit out there right now.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I think the Leafs would want someone who is closer to making the NHL. If they think Dobson was going to enter the NHL next year then sure.
I'm assuming they'd be looking at guys like Parayko, Pesce or Trouba. That sort of age group that are young but established players. I thought a Hamilton swap might have worked but Carolina jumped on that.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I mean it's definitely an intriguing option, though also risky. Is Dobson the next McAvoy/Provorov, or the next Gormley/Pouliot?

I do think based on his combination of size and skating + offensive numbers, and then generally what the scouting reports talk about in terms of his defensive ability, that it's unlikely he'd bust. Probably a pretty safe player to assume he'll become at least a #3-4 dman, with some legitimate upside.

Still, the + would have to be pretty decent on top of Dobson to alleviate the risk.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If it comes to the point of trading Nylander, I would make him sit out until we get a return similar to what Tampa got for Drouin, if not more.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I don't think they would consider any deal for him for a question mark who is unlikely to do anything for the club this year. They are in win now mode which is why it probably makes the most sense to bridge Willie and deal him after the playoffs. They will know by then which of the current crop of players like Kappy and Johnsson are ready to really help, and whether their D is progressing enough, as they could find themselves in urgent need of a major upgrade to the defense, or that Dermott has blossomed and their two Russians are doing exactly what they hoped for. Plus they have Nylander for the playoff run. A Dobson deal makes them less likely to succeed this year. Hockey trades are usually best done in the summer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Because otherwise it makes zero sense to trade him. Moving him for a vet or package of lesser assets would be stupid.

Would fully agree that in the current situation it would make finding a trade partner difficult, and why i doubt the Leafs ever seriously consider trading him

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Because otherwise it makes zero sense to trade him. Moving him for a vet or package of lesser assets would be stupid.

Would fully agree that in the current situation it would make finding a trade partner difficult, and why i doubt the Leafs ever seriously consider trading him

Agreed. Hard to come out on top of a Nylander trade because he's just that good despite what people seem to think his problems are.

Like I said earlier, it would have to be a Jones type return for the Leafs to even consider it and those kind of trades are fairly rare as it is.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Agreed. Hard to come out on top of a Nylander trade because he's just that good despite what people seem to think his problems are.

Like I said earlier, it would have to be a Jones type return for the Leafs to even consider it and those kind of trades are fairly rare as it is.

The Jones situation as such a unique context too. The Preds already had an absolutely stacked D core when they drafted him, very few teams are so deep on D that they’d be willing to move a top pairing potential prospects /young player.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Super early but who might be some rental top 4 d available at the deadline and what might one cost? Assuming Leafs might not find that permanent solution. They may have to go the rental route for the playoff run.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Super early but who might be some rental top 4 d available at the deadline and what might one cost? Assuming Leafs might not find that permanent solution. They may have to go the rental route for the playoff run.

Not sure, but I likely wouldn't be interested in a rental.

I'd be going for a player with term. I don't think we can afford to spend assets on a D to then watch him and possibly Gardiner walk next summer.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Maybe if Vancouver is bad enough Tanev is back on the market. Not sure of the price but could be someone to look out for. Leafs apparently had interest over the past year or two. I know some people don't want him at all but he's pretty good and the value could make sense. Not a rental.

Another player that could be out there would be Jared Spurgeon, who apparently was available for the right price this summer. Won't be cheap but he would be a great addition. His contract has another year on it, so it wouldn't be a pure rental.

A super buy low option but one that could make sense and fit a need if there is salary retention would be Brendan Smith of the Rangers. Not really a great target though but I think he's better than he's shown there.

As for rentals, maybe someone like Jan Rutta from the Hawks. Pending UFA and Chicago will probably be outside looking in.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think the Leafs would want someone who is closer to making the NHL. If they think Dobson was going to enter the NHL next year then sure.
I'm assuming they'd be looking at guys like Parayko, Pesce or Trouba. That sort of age group that are young but established players. I thought a Hamilton swap might have worked but Carolina jumped on that.

Specifically on the Trouba point, he cannot be extended until after Jan 1st. Leafs wouldn't take the risk of trading Nylander for Trouba who has only two years of control.....or if they did it would be very ballsy to say the least. Plus I doubt the Jets trade Trouba this season for Nylander, Nylander fills no need on the Jets he would be more of what they have now very powerful deep forward group......he could eventually maybe replace Little at 2C. But for this year Trouba plays a much bigger role on the Jets then a Nylander would. Only way I see the Jets considering that deal this season is if they believe they wouldn't get any where near a Nylander value this summer and are more concerned with long term value then going all in this year (very debatable point). Plus Jets wouldn't look at Nylander unless they knew his real contract demands and were comfortable with them.........Chevy would laugh at 8 million demand. Nylander is worth 6.5 million x 7 years not a dime more.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I just wanna know something. Why does people think Matthews deserves around 12 million a season? What has he done to make him worth just as much as McDavid? McDavid has been a 100 point player, won many individual player awards and he's making 12.5. Marner and Nylander are the same. Why does Nylander think he's worth 8 million? 60 point seasons warrant 8 million a year contracts these days? Marner has produced just as much as Matthews playing with worse linemates. I've heard he could ask for up to 10 million which again is crazy because he's a 60 point player who got close to 70. Idk though, maybe someone with more knowledge about the cap and NHL contracts can make some sense of this.

And yes I know they're all just gonna get better as the years go on, but that's also just a maybe. It's not a guaranteed thing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Maybe if Vancouver is bad enough Tanev is back on the market. Not sure of the price but could be someone to look out for. Leafs apparently had interest over the past year or two. I know some people don't want him at all but he's pretty good and the value could make sense. Not a rental.

Another player that could be out there would be Jared Spurgeon, who apparently was available for the right price this summer. Won't be cheap but he would be a great addition. His contract has another year on it, so it wouldn't be a pure rental.

A super buy low option but one that could make sense and fit a need if there is salary retention would be Brendan Smith of the Rangers. Not really a great target though but I think he's better than he's shown there.

As for rentals, maybe someone like Jan Rutta from the Hawks. Pending UFA and Chicago will probably be outside looking in.

Spurgeon would be a fantastic add, but I don’t think the Wild will be looking to move him unless they opt to go for a rebuild. And at the moment the Leafs don’t quite have a real asset for a 1v1 deal -ie Nylander and Marner are too much (especially given his contract status) so they’d have to offer up a package of primarily futures

Reactions: SprDaVE

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
If it comes to the point of trading Nylander, I would make him sit out until we get a return similar to what Tampa got for Drouin, if not more.
It would have to be for more. Nylander is better than Drouin ever was.

All the Leafs need to do is find a GM as dumb as Bergevin who also has a blue chip defensive prospect.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It would have to be for more. Nylander is better than Drouin ever was.

All the Leafs need to do is find a GM as dumb as Bergevin who also has a blue chip defensive prospect.
Hughes/Juolevi/Bouchard are the only ones that got that bill

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Specifically on the Trouba point, he cannot be extended until after Jan 1st. Leafs wouldn't take the risk of trading Nylander for Trouba who has only two years of control.....or if they did it would be very ballsy to say the least. Plus I doubt the Jets trade Trouba this season for Nylander, Nylander fills no need on the Jets he would be more of what they have now very powerful deep forward group......he could eventually maybe replace Little at 2C. But for this year Trouba plays a much bigger role on the Jets then a Nylander would. Only way I see the Jets considering that deal this season is if they believe they wouldn't get any where near a Nylander value this summer and are more concerned with long term value then going all in this year (very debatable point). Plus Jets wouldn't look at Nylander unless they knew his real contract demands and were comfortable with them.........Chevy would laugh at 8 million demand. Nylander is worth 6.5 million x 7 years not a dime more.
It was more to do with the 20-25 age group but yeah, agree for the most part.

Reactions: Hunter368

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Not sure, but I likely wouldn't be interested in a rental.

I'd be going for a player with term. I don't think we can afford to spend assets on a D to then watch him and possibly Gardiner walk next summer.

Side note the way Jake is playing we may be begging for it.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Nylander for an equally talented blueliner would be ideal but not a deal breaker. It can still be an equally talented young forward who is cost controlled too.

Leafs Nylander for Van Petterson..........who wouldn't make that deal besides the Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad