Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is a giant "IF"...

"IF" Dubas decided trading Nylander was the better option at this point, for a top RHD... Trouba, Pesce type guy..... and this is only an if...

I'd suggest claiming Gagner off of waivers today, as he'd probably be better than Ennis on Matthews wing...

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
This is a giant "IF"...

"IF" Dubas decided trading Nylander was the better option at this point, for a top RHD... Trouba, Pesce type guy..... and this is only an if...

I'd suggest claiming Gagner off of waivers today, as he'd probably be better than Ennis on Matthews wing...

i am sure between Leivo, Grundstrom, Johnsson, Kapanen, Ennis, Marner, Marleau, Brown, Hyman they got it covered.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is a giant "IF"...

Why do we need another Gagner? We already have like 6.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To be fair, we already have the next Sam Gagner's in Mitch Marner and William Nylander, so imagine claiming the actual Sam Gagner and creating a Gagner line.

Marleau - Tavares - Matthews
Nylander - Gagner - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown

#Results

(this is sarcasm)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
To be fair, we already have the next Sam Gagner's in Mitch Marner and William Nylander, so imagine claiming the actual Sam Gagner and creating a Gagner line.

Marleau - Tavares - Matthews
Nylander - Gagner - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown

#Results

(this is sarcasm)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander wants 8.0m,, Leafs offer 6.5m difference of 1.5m

Gagner makes 3.150m. Playing value 1.15m. difference of 2m.

Leafs would be better just to overpay Nylander.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lol hard pass on Sam Gagner. This board has hard-ons for small/soft players. IF the player actually has some skill left, then yeah sure (like ennis)...but gagner is washed

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Let's see what out guys can do first. Wait until ~ game 13 before even considering making a trade. I want to see what Oz and Zaitsev can do. They could very well be #2 and #4.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Anyone been cut that could make our team?
Big recent prospects aside.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Think we could take on Lawson Crouse as a reclamation project? Something like Leivo and a 3rd? Or does Arizona still want to see what they have in him?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Think we could take on Lawson Crouse as a reclamation project? Something like Leivo and a 3rd? Or does Arizona still want to see what they have in him?

I'd rather see what we've got in Leivo, when Nylander gets signed one of Ennis or Leivo will be getting their ass stapled to the press box and Gauthier waived and sent down as it is

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd rather see what we've got in Leivo, when Nylander gets signed one of Ennis or Leivo will be getting their ass stapled to the press box and Gauthier waived and sent down as it is

Doesn't 14 forwards make more sense than having 8 defensemen? Especially when Gauthier has significantly more upside than both Holl and Marincin?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I figured it makes sense to keep the extra centre...but either way, I don't think any of these guys are amazing, I just like finding different "ingredients". Crouse brings something we don't have with most of the roster; size. Size needs to be able to play though, I guess it's a nod towards our development staff but I have a lot of faith in them compared to years past.

Doesn't 14 forwards make more sense than having 8 defensemen? Especially when Gauthier has significantly more upside than both Holl and Marincin?

I mean Marincin is going to be a perennial scratch but Gauthier really doesn't have upside at this point. None of them really do :dunno:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Gauthier is a plug, Holl and Marincin are plugs
I couldn't care less if any of them got plucked off waivers, if the other team is that desperate I wish them the best of luck

Two spare forwards, two spare defenseman I'm not particularly worried about it either way but Dermott has been nicked up in pre-season and Ozhiganov is a rookie so extra cover on the backend would seem prudent at this time

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Gagner is finito. He rode the wave of a deadly Columbus power play a couple of years' ago. He wasn't that good otherwise.

I would do this but only if Crouse got another full year in the AHL to learn the lines that he can't cross. I don't think that draft pick is necessary, the trade with Florida already devalued him substantially.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I figured it makes sense to keep the extra centre...but either way, I don't think any of these guys are amazing, I just like finding different "ingredients". Crouse brings something we don't have with most of the roster; size. Size needs to be able to play though, I guess it's a nod towards our development staff but I have a lot of faith in them compared to years past.

I mean Marincin is going to be a perennial scratch but Gauthier really doesn't have upside at this point. None of them really do :dunno:

Gauthier can be a top 12 forward some day still. At least based on what I have seen in preseason and in the AHL. He's only 23 remember, and bigger bodies also take a bit longer too. Brian Boyle scored a lot in the minors, but he did not do anything in the NHL until he was 25 or 26 (and even then that's probably very similar to what Gauthier would do if he was a 4C right now). Stick him in the Leivo role to learn something and to get some NHL practices in for a year. He's better than anything else we could put there right now anyways.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Gauthier can be a top 12 forward some day still. At least based on what I have seen in preseason and in the AHL. He's only 23 remember, and bigger bodies also take a bit longer too. Brian Boyle scored a lot in the minors, but he did not do anything in the NHL until he was 25 or 26 (and even then that's probably very similar to what Gauthier would do if he was a 4C right now). Stick him in the Leivo role to learn something and to get some NHL practices in for a year. He's better than anything else we could put there right now anyways.

...but Boyle did score a lot in the AHL. Gauthier has not. IMO Colborne and Holland were much more talented than Gauthier and neither could lock a regular gig down. I don't dislike him but the injuries really set him back in his development and doubt he'll hit his ceiling.

PS did anyone claim Pickard or Mac?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Gauthier last year at age 22 was worse than Timashov (who was 21), Bracco (who was 20), Grundstrom (who was 19/20), Engvall (who was 21), etc.

These guys will be passing him shortly on the depth chart, and he won't get much of a chance next year either. That's what happened with Leivo, right when people were hoping he'd get a chance, Kapanen/Marner/Nylander/Johnsson/Brown/etc all passed him on the depth chart and there was no room for him. It looks like Leivo might finally get a chance, but that also might be cut short once Nylander is back.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Nope. Since the 4th line probably wont play much anyways. Guathier will never make the leafs full time. Just doesnt have the skill.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Mac gets claimed by Carolina and Pickard by philly... have to think we would have lost Sparks too but man this hurts depth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gauthier last year at age 22 was worse than Timashov (who was 21), Bracco (who was 20), Grundstrom (who was 19/20), Engvall (who was 21), etc.

These guys will be passing him shortly on the depth chart, and he won't get much of a chance next year either. That's what happened with Leivo, right when people were hoping he'd get a chance, Kapanen/Marner/Nylander/Johnsson/Brown/etc all passed him on the depth chart and there was no room for him. It looks like Leivo might finally get a chance, but that also might be cut short once Nylander is back.

The goat’s main problem is that he simply doesn’t play aggressive enough considering he doesn’t have great puck skills. He can’t play a skilled game and he slow, his main attribute is as large frame. If he hits like a truck he could potential he be a good fourth liner but he doesn’t.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I don't mind size but you've got to be able to do something with it, Crouse just doesn't produce enough for my liking and doesn't have much going for him bar size and draft position

Our development staff is good but there not miracle workers, they haven't been able to get Gauthier to an NHL level for instance and I'd call him a decent example of a big plug like Crouse

The goat’s main problem is that he simply doesn’t play aggressive enough considering he doesn’t have great puck skills. He can’t play a skilled game and he slow, his main attribute is as large frame. If he hits like a truck he could potential he be a good fourth liner but he doesn’t.

I've given up on him, big guys with almost no skill that won't play physical are completely useless imo

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad