Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Neither of these are close to landing Nylander.

I would love to land Pesce but I can't find a way to bridge the gap between the 2 of them, and there isn't a collection of lesser assets that lands him from Carolina either unfortunately.
I think your under valuing Pesce, great RHD on a sweetheart contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think I can handle 82 games of Hainsey playing over 20 minutes a game. It's going to be a rough time watching that happen.

I don't know if a trade fixes that but it would surely help them to find someone that can play 20 minutes a game without looking like they have osteoporosis.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
After last night and pre-season, he shouldn't last to Game 2...

Babcock has a history of favouring veterans and giving them very long leashes. One good sign is that he did eventually sit Komarov/Martin last year, in favour of the better/faster Kapanen/Johnsson types.

I agree with Cor. I don't think Hainsey stays on the top pairing all season, but I also don't think Babcock makes any sudden changes. Probably wants Dermott to get a few dozen games in of solid fairly consistent hockey before he moves him up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
After last night and pre-season, he shouldn't last to Game 2...

He's an older guy. They historically start slower than younger guys. He'll be given the chance. It's only Game 1, and there's no need for sudden changes.

As I said, I expect by December/January and game 30ish that there will be a change to our D pairings. Ideally sooner, but we'll see.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babcock has a history of favouring veterans and giving them very long leashes. One good sign is that he did eventually sit Komarov/Martin last year, in favour of the better/faster Kapanen/Johnsson types.

I agree with Cor. I don't think Hainsey stays on the top pairing all season, but I also don't think Babcock makes any sudden changes. Probably wants Dermott to get a few dozen games in of solid fairly consistent hockey before he moves him up.

The problem is that this is an issue dating back to last December. It's not a sudden change at all. He has struggled badly for a long time.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
By the end of game 5, there will be changes, or I have some serious questions for Babcock's intelligence. Namely anyone that's -5 or worse in that stretch compared to the median will be moved down and +5 will be moved up.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Foegele
Pesce
2nd in 19
3rd in 20

For

Nylander
Gauthier
Nielsen
4th in 19

Everything below Nylander's name above doesn't provide much in trade value.

Neither of these are close to landing Nylander.

I would love to land Pesce but I can't find a way to bridge the gap between the 2 of them, and there isn't a collection of lesser assets that lands him from Carolina either unfortunately.

Understand we rate Nylander highly, but don't think Carolina would be interested in moving Pesce. Defenders like him are hard to get/acquire. We should know that by now I'd think.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Everything below Nylander's name above doesn't provide much in trade value.

Understand we rate Nylander highly, but don't think Carolina would be interested in moving Pesce. Defenders like him are hard to get/acquire. We should know that by now I'd think.

wait your saying a 8 million dollar a year winger can not land you pesce?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I added Gauthier to Pesce... 6'4" RW, probably a middle six player... but he's got some size and we could use a power forward. I had also considered Jake Bean. You could make it work some how.

Gauthier isn't enough IMO and Bean makes it an overpayment. I liked Gauthier in his draft year but haven't been all that impressed since, I thought maybe there was a chance for a James Neal type.

I think your under valuing Pesce, great RHD on a sweetheart contract.

He's not worth Nylander (true) but anything less then him won't get Carolina interested, I feel pretty confident in that statement.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gauthier isn't enough IMO and Bean makes it an overpayment. I liked Gauthier in his draft year but haven't been all that impressed since, I thought maybe there was a chance for a James Neal type.

That you think one is a little too much, and the other not enough... Kind of minor details aren't they?

Maybe, we can be more creative in responses and say... Gauthier isn't enough... maybe add a second, or a third, or something to balance it out. We shall see how his progress is this year, though you are right, his draft year was his best, and he's plateaued.... a bit like the other Gauthier who was also big and physically dominant.... But, if he can progress his game, he has skating and a shot... with the right players around him, he could be useful.

As far as Bean, then add something from our side...

I think it's clear, the deal is Nylander for Pesce, and enough to make it an even trade from there... however you value it, or the next person, or Dubas and co....

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If you could make a deal with either Calgary or Winnipeg both these clubs are RD heavy. Winny couldn't handle Nylanders contract expectation but there should be some others out there. Assuming your primary goal was strengthening the defense but not paying 2 for 1, who might fit?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I don't think they have any interest in moving Gardiner.

I'd argue they have less interest in watching another UFA leave for nothing in return.

If you can turn Nylander+Gardiner into a sure fire top pairing defenceman with an even somewhat reasonable AAV on a long term deal you do it. But those situations just don't exist or else it would already be done.

These 2 are likely taking up $12-$14 million in cap space in 12 months time lets not forget.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
If you could make a deal with either Calgary or Winnipeg both these clubs are RD heavy. Winny couldn't handle Nylanders contract expectation but there should be some others out there. Assuming your primary goal was strengthening the defense but not paying 2 for 1, who might fit?

Get a 3rd team involved...3rd team gets Nylander...we get Trouba...Winnipeg gets Gardiner plus something good from the 3rd team...some spare parts/picks even out the ages/contract situations.

Winnipeg would be saving some money and getting a solid LD they can shelter. We open up room to add salary by subtracting Nylander and Gardiner but need to sign Trouba to a new deal as an RFA. 3rd team gets Nylander to help a rebuild.

You might be on to something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->