Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
How much is everyone thinking Gardiner is getting this summer? Im thinking if we can get him at 6.5 or under than we'll keep him and try to ship off Zaitsev (Marleau being shipped off is a given). If not than i think we keep Zaitsev and give someone else a lesser contract

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
How much is everyone thinking Gardiner is getting this summer? Im thinking if we can get him at 6.5 or under than we'll keep him and try to ship off Zaitsev (Marleau being shipped off is a given). If not than i think we keep Zaitsev and give someone else a lesser contract
:huh:

Hasn't he got an annoying little thing called a NMC ?

In the right scenario, he might be willing to accept a trade, but you can't call it a "given".

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
:huh:

Hasn't he got an annoying little thing called a NMC ?

In the right scenario, he might be willing to accept a trade, but you can't call it a "given".

I was meaning to say that the leafs intentions are given that they will want to move him. Obviously its under his discretion but clearly trying to move him is whats best for the team.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Come after US Thanksgiving many dmen will be made available when teams figure out if they are contenders or pretenders. One dman I would keep an eye on is Shattenkirk from the NYR. RHD that doesn't fit with the Rangers. If they are willing to absorb 25% of his contract he would be an ideal upgrade next to Reilly. Then we can move Hainsey down to the third pairing.

Reilly-Shattenkirk
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-Zaitsev

For me it depends on the cost. His defensive side of the game has looked atrocious this year (according to reports, only game I saw he looked decent) but his advanced numbers last year and the year before looked like a top 4 guy. Unless he is dirt cheap to trade for, id be afraid of offering up too many futures.
If he costs 4.98m (25% retained) he could be a good gamble for the Leafs.

Id also be interested in him as a 2nd pairing guy going forward if we cant re sign Gardiner/ want to replace him with a better defensive guy.

Reilly - Dermott
Edler/Schmidt - Shattenkirk
Borgman - Ozi

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Gardiner for Myers+

Rielly Myers
Dermott Zaitsev
Hainsey Ozhiganov

Its a fair deal and a deal that's been talked about a lot dating back to this off-season.

But the question becomes, does Winnipeg want to make this deal now? Value is fine but the question is about optics. They're perfectly fine without making the trade right now. I dont think they would do the trade just for the sake of a trade. There would have to be a reason

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
For me it depends on the cost. His defensive side of the game has looked atrocious this year (according to reports, only game I saw he looked decent) but his advanced numbers last year and the year before looked like a top 4 guy. Unless he is dirt cheap to trade for, id be afraid of offering up too many futures.
If he costs 4.98m (25% retained) he could be a good gamble for the Leafs.

Id also be interested in him as a 2nd pairing guy going forward if we cant re sign Gardiner/ want to replace him with a better defensive guy.

Reilly - Dermott
Edler/Schmidt - Shattenkirk
Borgman - Ozi

5 million for 3 seasons for a 30 year old defensive liability is not something we should consider.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Assuming we get Nylander locked up in the next few days...leafs are seriously gonna have to address the physicality/toughness of this group.

Not advocating to bring Matt Martin or Polak back by any means, but a top 9 forward with some grit and potentially a better bottom pairing RD man with some grit would be really helpful.

Nylander coming back is only going make this team softer than it already is (obviously more skilled as well).

Josh Anderson/Chris Kreider should be solid targets. McQuaid or Edmundson/Bortuzzo could be targets for D.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Assuming we get Nylander locked up in the next few days...leafs are seriously gonna have to address the physicality/toughness of this group.

Not advocating to bring Matt Martin or Polak back by any means, but a top 9 forward with some grit and potentially a better bottom pairing RD man with some grit would be really helpful.

Nylander coming back is only going make this team softer than it already is (obviously more skilled as well).

Josh Anderson/Chris Kreider should be solid targets. McQuaid or Edmundson/Bortuzzo could be targets for D.
Would like Kreider but the rest of those guys aren't really worth giving up assets for.

Anderson is maybe better than Brown but he's not displacing any of the other three RW's in the top 9 so i'd pass. And you're better off going for a top 4 fix if you want a more physical D-man. Hainsey and Zaitsev are big problems right now with no end in sight. If you can upgrade on Z using some high picks and our prospect pool that would be ideal.

Kreider-Kadri-Kapanen would be a nightmare for teams top lines.

HC7

May 2, 2018
b3302bb792.png

Naz + for Drouin
Find a way to dump Marleau/Horton
Trade Zaitsev

This team would win 65 games.

HC7

May 2, 2018

Imagine watching the Leafs play and the main thing you take away from it is that we need more toughness...

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
b3302bb792.png

Naz + for Drouin
Trade Zaitsev

This team would have bottom-5 defensive stats. By the time Oz, Dermott, Borgman and Lilly are developed enough to make this roster a contender you will no longer be paying Johnsson 1.5m, Lindholm 1.5m, Kapanen 2.5m, etc.

Reactions: FishManSam

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Its a fair deal and a deal that's been talked about a lot dating back to this off-season.

But the question becomes, does Winnipeg want to make this deal now? Value is fine but the question is about optics. They're perfectly fine without making the trade right now. I dont think they would do the trade just for the sake of a trade. There would have to be a reason

To answer your question, no the Jets wouldn’t do it at this exact time bc of the uncertainty of Trouba. Doubtful Trouba is signed and most likely traded this summer. Jets 2nd pairing LHD is serviceable between Kulikov & Chariot.....keeping in mind AHL defencemen of the year Niku was close to making the team out of training camp. Myers will be retained until this summer then signed or walk depending on Trouba situation. Trading Myers is a complete non starter at this point.

To your point the Jets would have zero reason to do that trade and doing it would potentially cripple them if Trouba walks or is traded.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
b3302bb792.png

Naz + for Drouin
Trade Zaitsev

the + would not come from the leafs. Drouin is easily top 5 most overrated players in the NHL. Kadri is easily a better player than him, And then factor in the desperation the habs have for C's and we wont be adding to kadri. In fact id want the plus to be pretty significant. drouin is Nylander lite a pure offensive player who has never hit 60 points and is a year older than nylander

Reactions: stickty111

member 147413

Kadri + Gardiner for Drouin + Petry

C.Brown for J.Anderson

Johnsson + Holl for Crouse

Drouin - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Crouse - Gauthier - Leivo

Rielly - Petry
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Oz

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Leafs fans would be as happy with a Gardiner/Myers swap as many of them think they would be.

In my opinion, the biggest obstacle in our way is still lack of experience/maturity as a group. Over-correcting on team "needs" at this point would be a mistake, I believe. Skill and speed are still the name of this game, and our kids will learn to overcome the adversity of the tougher grind in time. I know we have an all-star lineup of forwards, but patience is still required with this team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander/Gardnier for Travis Sanheim/Philipe Myers/1st round pick. Philly gets star winger, left side D man who has offensive upside. Leafs get 2 young D men who help set up the D for years to come, 1st round pick, Cap relief today and going forward. Leafs add a mid round pick if Gard's walks after this season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Karlsson looks bad again for the second straight year. I gave him a year to recover before I judged him , but he is simply not the same guy he was before the ankle injury.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One player to keep in mind for next season is Miro Aaltonen. We still have his rights and he has 16 points in 20 games in the KHL.

His trade value might be solid too to a rebuilding team looking for immediate youngish players.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Kadri + Gardiner for Drouin + Petry

C.Brown for J.Anderson

Johnsson + Holl for Crouse

Drouin - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Crouse - Gauthier - Leivo

Rielly - Petry
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Oz
Ewwwwww to drouin on mathews wing. So mathews will have to forecheck and do all the gritty work?Would rather have human back up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad