Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't care what the deal is, they have money this year. Get him signed. If its for one season or 7 I really don't care. He should be signed by now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Anton Forsberg is on waivers. It would be nice to claim him and slip him onto the Marlies if possible. Depends if anyone else claims him.

Or the Leafs could have a deal in place to trade McAdam and a prospect (i.e. Nielsen) to bring him in once he clears with Chicago. They do have too many goalies after all.

:leafs
Anton Forsberg
Andrew Campbell

:hawks
Eamon McAdam
Andrew Nielsen

Once again, improve two positions for the Marlies with one move. Sure it costs a semi-decent prospect, but it's better than giving up a pick like the Leafs did last year to get Pickard. That way the Leafs don't need to wait for Pickard or McElhinney to hit waivers either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anton Forsberg is on waivers. It would be nice to claim him and slip him onto the Marlies if possible. Depends if anyone else claims him.

Or the Leafs could have a deal in place to trade McAdam and a prospect (i.e. Nielsen) to bring him in once he clears with Chicago. They do have too many goalies after all.

Anton Forsberg
Andrew Campbell

Eamon McAdam
Andrew Nielsen

Once again, improve two positions for the Marlies with one move. Sure it costs a semi-decent prospect, but it's better than giving up a pick like the Leafs did last year to get Pickard. That way the Leafs don't need to wait for Pickard or McElhinney to hit waivers either.

CHI doesn't have any goalie depth either. If Forsberg clears, there's no reason for CHI to want to move him, especially since Crawford is fragile, and Ward is awful

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
CHI doesn't have any goalie depth either. If Forsberg clears, there's no reason for CHI to want to move him, especially since Crawford is fragile, and Ward is awful

They have Colin Delia and Kevin Lankinen. I doubt they want either in the ECHL.

And if they decide to keep Forsberg, Pickard and McElhinney hit the wire soon and since their numbers are far from great, it'll probably be easily to claim one and stash them on the Marlies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
They have Colin Delia and Kevin Lankinen. I doubt they want either in the ECHL.

And if they decide to keep Forsberg, Pickard and McElhinney hit the wire soon and since their numbers are far from great, it'll probably be easily to claim one and stash them on the Marlies.

Wonder if the leafs would want to send McElhinney to the minors. I guess he’s good depth, but he is old. Would his nhl contract effort our cap with him in the minors?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wonder if the leafs would want to send McElhinney to the minors. I guess he’s good depth, but he is old. Would his nhl contract effort our cap with him in the minors?

I am sure McElhinney does not want to be in the minors, especially after coming off his two strongest seasons in the NHL, but he is still getting paid and has a better opportunity here than most other places to try and overthrow the incumbent backup goalie. Plus you could do a lot worse than the Marlies.

He has to realize that he is 35 and has never really been more than a high end #2 capable of playing a handful of games in his career. If he ends up getting claimed by us but is able to pass through to the Marlies, it does say something. At this point he is likely going to have to take being a #3 who can spot for and challenge a #2, which is exactly what he gets in Toronto (and like I said before, is better than anything he'd get elsewhere). After this year, he can become a UFA and try and chase a job elsewhere, but I doubt he'll be very successful and there is a good chance he just ends up retiring. In the meantime, adding him to a Marlies team should help them take a step in the right direction towards competing for another Calder Cup.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
On a side note, if Chicago is not interested in moving Forsberg, I would still suggest trying to bring in Andrew Campbell. I really liked him on the Marlies and I think he would be a good addition to the team.

Andrew Campbell

Vincent Loverde

Rockford lacks RD, and believe it or not the Marlies have too many now with Corrado in the mix. Loverde was good last year, but he's struggled this year so perhaps shaking things up and bringing in a former leader and Marlies captain, who can play the Marincin role, is exactly what the Marlies need.

Rosen-Holl (but in the meantime, Corrado works well too)
Borgman-Liljegren
Campbell-Subban
Nielsen-Corrado (Sproul can be kept on PTO in the meantime).

Borgman and Lilly were partners last year, so why not try it again. If it does not work, then Campbell and Liljegren should work out well, because Liljegren worked well with Marincin. Subban/Corrado and Borgman/Nielsen should be a suitable 3rd pairing in that case. Jardine to the Growlers. Cumiskey released from his PTO, and Sproul can join him too once Holl comes back. However if either are willing to accept AHL deals to play for the Growlers and be occasional callups, the Marlies may consider that. If the Growlers added those three, they'd have a stacked and deep defensive group. Sandin heads to Sweden once he is healthy.

It's really a simple move, but one that could really pay dividends for the Marlies going forward.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Come after US Thanksgiving many dmen will be made available when teams figure out if they are contenders or pretenders. One dman I would keep an eye on is Shattenkirk from the NYR. RHD that doesn't fit with the Rangers. If they are willing to absorb 25% of his contract he would be an ideal upgrade next to Reilly. Then we can move Hainsey down to the third pairing.

Reilly-Shattenkirk
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-Zaitsev

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Would you rather sign gardiner, trade zaitsev and keep marleau, or trade marleau, keep zaitsev and gardiner?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Would you rather sign gardiner, trade zaitsev and keep marleau, or trade marleau, keep zaitsev and gardiner?
love him or hate him, gard's will be a casualty of the Cap, the only hope of him sticking is Nylander being traded for cost controlled assets.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Don't need to do nothing this season. Marleau isn't going anywhere as long as he continues to produce. Gardiner and Zaitsev are needed on our D core regardless of what you think of them.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Don't need to do nothing this season. Marleau isn't going anywhere as long as he continues to produce. Gardiner and Zaitsev are needed on our D core regardless of what you think of them.

So how do you keep them all after this year?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So how do you keep them all after this year?

Zaitsev is going no where, as much hate as there is for him. He is a useful dman and has been better then last season so far. Not all that bad.

Marleau is already signed for one more season after this. After his contract is up this frees up 6.25 million.

Gardiner may be the only one that goes the way of Bozak, JVR and Komarov. The Leafs are hoping some other dmen develop like Llijegren, Dermott and Oz to be able to step into his role at a lower cap it. That is the hope. Like we did with Kapanen, Johnsson and Gautheir this season.

Depending on what happens with Nylander, if he signs on a cheaper bridge deal, there may be some money to re-up Gardiner regardless. The Leafs do have almost 30 million in cap space next season not including putting Horton's deal on IR.

Hainsey, Gardiner, Lindholm contracts are up after this season totaling almost 10 million.

Dubas will figure things out.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Trade Marleau if we can.

However, reality will likely be Gardiner leaving as a UFA. Zaitsev has been fine this year and is a 2nd pairing defender on a reasonable 2nd pairing contract. Dermott is making Gardiner expendable but I think we are going to be keeping every player we can and stacking up at the deadline to try for a cup run. If we can find a hockey trade for Gardiner we take it, but we're not trading him for picks.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Jake is currently being paid 4.25mil or so. It really depends how much he is asking. To me, I don’t think he is a 6mil Dman due to his defense, so if he signs anything around 5.5mil, that’s only 1.25mil more than he is getting now. Really can’t see how Dubas cannot squeeze that out and make it happens.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
You move on from Gardiner and that is all. You dont keep a guy like that for the playoffs when the pressure gets to him. You need a reliable clear headed player who makes safe plays and doesnt overthink the game. For all the break out speed and offensive acumen Garinder has! You can get that and more from a better player

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You move on from Gardiner and that is all. You dont keep a guy like that for the playoffs when the pressure gets to him. You need a reliable clear headed player who makes safe plays and doesnt overthink the game. For all the break out speed and offensive acumen Garinder has! You can get that and more from a better player
Funny considering he's been great in 2 of three playoff series with us.

Reactions: Duffman955

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I guess let Gardiner walk, trade Marleau and keep Zaitsev.

But I'd look into moving Gardiner in season rather than having him walk for nothing. I'd consider moving Zaitsev as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->