SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
b3302bb792.png

Naz + for Drouin
Find a way to dump Marleau/Horton
Trade Zaitsev

This team would win 65 games.

Ewwwww. Drouin is the last guy that will ever be a Leaf, he's more of a Hab than Tim Plekanec. Gross, keep that soft p***y away from this team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just throwing it out there, would you trade Kapanen for Jesse Puljujarvi, if Nylander signs and they keep him? We may need a small add, like a 2nd or something..

My thought process, is the Puljujarvi has a higher upside, but currently the Oilers aren't developing him properly. A year on the Marlies, with some good teammates, and he's likely going to be a very good Forward, with some much needed size for our team. His Cap hit, isn't likely to increase over the next two years, giving us more cost control. Kap is likely looking at $3 million, (maybe even $4-5 if he pots 60 points ) if he keeps this pace up... at least. It's trading a guy who is ready now, for a guy who could be better down the road, but there is a risk won't reach his potential.

If Kap continues his great year, and we keep Nylander, we won't be able to afford to keep Kapanen.

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Just throwing it out there, would you trade Kapanen for Jesse Puljujarvi, if Nylander signs and they keep him? We may need a small add, like a 2nd or something..

My thought process, is the Puljujarvi has a higher upside, but currently the Oilers aren't developing him properly. A year on the Marlies, with some good teammates, and he's likely going to be a very good Forward, with some much needed size for our team. His Cap hit, isn't likely to increase over the next two years, giving us more cost control. Kap is likely looking at $3 million, (maybe even $4-5 if he pots 60 points ) if he keeps this pace up... at least. It's trading a guy who is ready now, for a guy who could be better down the road, but there is a risk won't reach his potential.

If Kap continues his great year, and we keep Nylander, we won't be able to afford to keep Kapanen.

I wouldn't trade him 1 for 1 right now. Kapanen is right now the better player, and it seems like it's not very close. Puuls is someone I would target with Leivo, Johnsson, Rosen, Holl, etc only.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We likely can't.

The question I think could turn into should we let him walk for nothing, or move him before hand.

Don’t have the depth to trade him - not NHL ready guys anyway. But I’d def prefer not to see him walk, especially after letting guys walk last year

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We likely can't.

The question I think could turn into should we let him walk for nothing, or move him before hand.

He's an opportunistic move - if a deal arises where moving him would open the possibility of receiving a better player back then we may, but my money is on him walking is free agency.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Looks like Mcilhinney and Pickard may be going on waivers over the next 1-2 days.

Darling and Neuvirth have been activated.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
They both signed bad deals - personally I'm glad we let them walk.
This answer the wrong question: "Should the Leafs have re-signed them ?"

The right question ? "Should they have traded them before losing them for nothing ?"

The answer, without hindsight, is not easy to formulate.

What message would it sens to your team if you traded (for futures) two good pieces a few weeks before the playoffs ?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

If its 1 for 1, id do it and move him to the left wing. He played both wings in Liga, and we could use some more LW depth.
Pulj has looked pretty decent so far this year, looks a bit snake bitten and like he needs some good veterans to teach him.
When Marleau leaves, he can move into the top 6.

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Puljujarvi - Kadri - Brown
Lindholm - Gauthier - Leivo

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Is it possible the Leafs have created their own potential cap issues going forward by not locking guys up early? Both Ehlers and Pastrnak were signed at the beginning of last season, rather than waiting.

I wonder if it might be wise to lock up Kapanen early on a team-friendly deal. If he continues on this pace he'll eclipse 30 goals and 60 points easily.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Genuinely curious. If one of those two gets put on waivers and the Leafs are the only team to put in a claim, can the Leafs send them directly to the Marlies or do they need to go through waivers again?

HC7

May 2, 2018
Dubas needs to trade for K'Andre Miller. There's no ifs ands or buts, this kid is the real deal. He's 6'4, skates like the wind, just switched to D, and is already the best U-19 defensive D-Man the US have. He's going to become a top pairing guy easily. He already has 5 points in 4 NCAA games while being a plus 6. I said on draft day we need to trade up for him, and I'm saying it again.

This player will become a franchise D-Man, I would trade Kappy straight up for him, I would even trade Willy for a package including him. I'm incredibly high on Liljegren, but I would trade him for Miller without hesitation. He will be in the Norris conversation in his prime. He's the next Hedman/Jones type D-Man. Overpay now because almost anything you pay will be a steal when all is said and done.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Genuinely curious. If one of those two gets put on waivers and the Leafs are the only team to put in a claim, can the Leafs send them directly to the Marlies or do they need to go through waivers again?
If no one else puts in a claim, they can be sent directly to the Marlies without additional waivers.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Does anyone want to see a stacked top 6 and pure shutdown line in the bottom 6 ?

Kadri-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Tavares-Nylander

Hyman-Lindholm-Brown
Johnsson - Gauthier- Leivo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do we want either?

It would be a good idea. Not only does it give the Marlies another goalie besides Glass and McAdam, it gives the Marlies a better goalie to pair with Kaskisuo when he gets back.

However to be fair, McAdam has yet to play and Glass has been good enough the past two games.

So the Leafs should do it if they can. Not sure you claim both though. I do not think you can trade waiver players, but it may be different if you claim them back. If we can't trade them, then it would be tough to fit them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad