Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Did you miss Josh Anderson on that line?
I just dont see the point in targeting drouin. He's not an upgrade. If you want petry, there are other ways to get it done. In addition I dont want nylander as the third line center. Place him on the wing. I do like Anderson though. Kadri kap Marleau or brown. Mathews nylander Anderson

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
To answer your question, no the Jets wouldn’t do it at this exact time bc of the uncertainty of Trouba. Doubtful Trouba is signed and most likely traded this summer. Jets 2nd pairing LHD is serviceable between Kulikov & Chariot.....keeping in mind AHL defencemen of the year Niku was close to making the team out of training camp. Myers will be retained until this summer then signed or walk depending on Trouba situation. Trading Myers is a complete non starter at this point.

To your point the Jets would have zero reason to do that trade and doing it would potentially cripple them if Trouba walks or is traded.

You mean other than the fact that Gardiner is a much better defenseman?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You mean other than the fact that Gardiner is a much better defenseman?

The offer wasn’t Gardiner for Myers......it was for Myers plus which negates the difference between them. Are you suggesting offer Gardiner straight up for Myers as the incentive?

Either way the Jets wouldn’t expose the team to the significant risk of trading away their top pairing RHD and a top 4 RHD (currently playing on 3rd pairing due to depth).......for the difference between Myers & Gardiner. Losing both Myers & Trouba would instantly mean RHD goes from a position of strength to Buff plus two AHL players on the Jets RHD. Jets aren’t trading Myers before Trouba is resolved.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The offer wasn’t Gardiner for Myers......it was for Myers plus which negates the difference between them. Are you suggesting offer Gardiner straight up for Myers as the incentive?

Either way the Jets wouldn’t expose the team to the significant risk of trading away their top pairing RHD and a top 4 RHD (currently playing on 3rd pairing due to depth).......for the difference between Myers & Gardiner. Losing both Myers & Trouba would instantly mean RHD goes from a position of strength to Buff plus two AHL players on the Jets RHD. Jets aren’t trading Myers before Trouba is resolved.

Poolman should be ready to hold down a 3rd pairing role soon right?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Poolman should be ready to hold down a 3rd pairing role soon right?

Poolman could likely hold a 3rd pairing role down albeit he’s unproven completely. Niku and Poolman are a pairing in the AHL.

PS: I like your blog

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Poolman could likely hold a 3rd pairing role down albeit he’s unproven completely. Niku and Poolman are a pairing in the AHL.

PS: I like your blog

Appreciate that man, I am going to make a post tomorrow, I wanted the Leafs to get to 10GP.

Reactions: Hunter368

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I just dont see the point in targeting drouin. He's not an upgrade. If you want petry, there are other ways to get it done. In addition I dont want nylander as the third line center. Place him on the wing. I do like Anderson though. Kadri kap Marleau or brown. Mathews nylander Anderson
up front 2 players I'd be interested in are Josh Anderson and Nick Ritchie. Brown for Anderson, Johnsson for Ritchie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can consult, but Im no writer. :)

I don't have any training lol. I think my first few entries were pretty rough, I got a bit better as we've gone along though. No English major or anything either. Just mostly passionate about the topic :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I like it but it can't be that easy.
not sure what Ritchie's demands are, but Johnsson is pretty highly regarded and affordable, I see that as a easy 1 for 1 deal (holdout's value is affected, take note Nylander fan's). Anderson for Brown also seems to be pretty even imo, one team might have to throw in a small add, but which team I'm not sure. Both Ritchie and Anderson bring more size, but not at the expense of speed/skill. Combine this with the Goat centering the 4th line, and Oz looking like he'll stick on the D, Leafs would look much more formidable come playoff time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
not sure what Ritchie's demands are, but Johnsson is pretty highly regarded and affordable, I see that as a easy 1 for 1 deal (holdout's value is affected, take note Nylander fan's). Anderson for Brown also seems to be pretty even imo, one team might have to throw in a small add, but which team I'm not sure. Both Ritchie and Anderson bring more size, but not at the expense of speed/skill. Combine this with the Goat centering the 4th line, and Oz looking like he'll stick on the D, Leafs would look much more formidable come playoff time.

Brown and Johnsson are nice pieces but I don't think they are enough to acquire Ritchie and Anderson. Hope I am wrong because I would like to see some truculence added to this team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brown and Johnsson are nice pieces but I don't think they are enough to acquire Ritchie and Anderson. Hope I am wrong because I would like to see some truculence added to this team.

Leafs would need to add like a 2nd or another decent roster player.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Kadri + Gardiner for Drouin + Petry

C.Brown for J.Anderson

Johnsson + Holl for Crouse

Drouin - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Crouse - Gauthier - Leivo

Rielly - Petry
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Oz

is petry that much better than gardiner to mitigate the loss in talent at forward? also really weakens our C depth if Nylander cant handle C (I am one who believes he is better at C for the record).

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
is petry that much better than gardiner to mitigate the loss in talent at forward? also really weakens our C depth if Nylander cant handle C (I am one who believes he is better at C for the record).
Your gonna give away Gardiner who is a 50 point D man, for Petry...... thats just nuts for me IMO. Looking at those defensive pairings, making me worried even more than I already am right now. The leafs need to pick up a two way D man. Someone like Dougie Hamilton or Brett Pesce. Two guys that are very affordable and great assets to have on a contending team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Your gonna give away Gardiner who is a 50 point D man, for Petry...... thats just nuts for me IMO. Looking at those defensive pairings, making me worried even more than I already am right now. The leafs need to pick up a two way D man. Someone like Dougie Hamilton or Brett Pesce. Two guys that are very affordable and great assets to have on a contending team.

I don't want to do that trade, I was more pointing out how much better petry would have to be in order to downgrade kadri to drouin

Reactions: Colts 5656

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I don't want to do that trade, I was more pointing out how much better petry would have to be in order to downgrade kadri to drouin
Ohhhh okay I see what you mean. Kadri for Drouin has its goods and bads to it, but I think are top 3 centres are fine and we need to focus on getting some winger depth/talent. In hoping that Nylander does sign it leaves us with him and Marner being our only 50 + point scorers........

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
IMO we should give up a player like Leivo, Gauthier, or H0ll (some younger players) for a winger that can be a shutdown defensive winger and also put up some valuable points. In saying that, you may be able to get someone for Leivo but I don't know about the other 2.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Would honestly like to see Hill get some playing time. Hard worker that is always the first/last person out at practice each and every day. Would defiantly prefer him over Marincin.....

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Would honestly like to see Hill get some playing time. Hard worker that is always the first/last person out at practice each and every day. Would defiantly prefer him over Marincin.....
Holl is getting the Leivo treatment by Babcock, hope he gets a chance next year :huh:

HC7

May 2, 2018
Not sure a lot of people have seen Drouin play. If he were on our team he would put up 70 points with ease beside Matthews.

People saying Kadri is better than Drouin are homers to the highest degree.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not sure a lot of people have seen Drouin play. If he were on our team he would put up 70 points with ease beside Matthews.

People saying Kadri is better than Drouin are homers to the highest degree.
No Kadri is better and more valuable then Drouin.
People saying Drouin is better just look at fancy highlights to form their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad