Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild shouldn’t be targeting picks in a Fiala trade imo. They should be targeting a blue-chip prospect that will be NHL ready next season and has 3 full years of an ELC. Helps us stay competitive during all years of the dead cap.
Easier said than done. Who?

7dayBender

Jun 4, 2021
SW Minnesota
Saw this on the main Trade board:

Value of Skinner 50% retained?

Would you take skinner 50% retained and one of their late firsts for Fiala?

Would give us cap relief that would get us through buyouts (5 years I believe?). He had two AWFUL Covid years, but seems to have rebounded a bit this year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Would give us cap relief that would get us through buyouts (5 years I believe?). He had two AWFUL Covid years, but seems to have rebounded a bit this year.
God no. A late 1st? Maybe if it's their 1st.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

A $4.5M Skinner is decent value, if he keeps up his level of scoring from this year, rather than this being just a small renaissance. That cap would last well past the buyout years. Actually, he's 29 now and he'll be 35 by the time it expires. It's actually a little longer of a contract than I'd like the Wild to take back. I'm not sure that at 30 years old he'll be worth $4.5M, much less at 35. I guess time will tell, but we'd definitely be taking him for the decline years of his career.

I think if the pick they included was the pick they got from Vegas (16th right now, if I'm not mistaken), I'd at least consider it, but not Florida's.

*edit* I'd also want to heavily scout Skinner first, to make sure his bounceback isn't a one year thing.

Reactions: 7dayBender

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Late first doesn't do it form me. I'd rather take Skinner out of that deal all together. I want nothing to do with his contract, even at 4.5M

Holtz + 5 for Fiala + 25 (or whatever) is my favorite proposal so far.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As much as I'd want them to be, I can't see prospects like Quinn or Holtz being the return. Especially with Bill "I don't want to win trades, I just want to make a deal that's fair for everyone" Guerin driving the boat.

We should get a nice, physical, two-way middle six player who can play anywhere in the lineup (even though it should be the third line), and has good character.

Tyler Boucher + OTT 2nd sounds on brand for Guerin, to be honest.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As much as I'd want them to be, I can't see prospects like Quinn or Holtz being the return. Especially with Bill "I don't want to win trades, I just want to make a deal that's fair for everyone" Guerin driving the boat.

We should get a nice, physical, two-way middle six player who can play anywhere in the lineup (even though it should be the third line), and has good character.

Tyler Boucher + OTT 2nd sounds on brand for Guerin, to be honest.
I believe this transaction is referred to as The Buchnevich, now.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Me, too, but I don't see BUF moving him. He absolutely tore up the AHL.
Yeah, I think it’d be a hard ask from them. If they didn’t have Skinner, I think they’d be more inclined to make a move like that. I don’t think Buffalo is that far off from being a competitive team though & they may prefer to bring in a guy that is going to expedite that process.

It ultimately comes down to what team Fiala would agree to an extension with. If he’s unwilling to extend anywhere and wants to test UFA, then it’s going to be hard to get any significant return.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
He also drew three penalties. No one will hold one game against him- your criticism of him because he threatens your precious Zuccy's status on the team is transparently childish.

He needs to play for a decade to reach Zucc's status, who btw isn't threatened by anyone.

My point with Fiala is that he showed the well known frustration and puck nonsense again, in that game. I hoped this was behind him.
Things like this is something GM's will keep in mind when it comes to a trade and contract.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, I think it’d be a hard ask from them. If they didn’t have Skinner, I think they’d be more inclined to make a move like that. I don’t think Buffalo is that far off from being a competitive team though & they may prefer to bring in a guy that is going to expedite that process.

It ultimately comes down to what team Fiala would agree to an extension with. If he’s unwilling to extend anywhere and wants to test UFA, then it’s going to be hard to get any significant return.

Something I would very much consider if I was him. Of course you run the risk of not having the same type of season next year, but the opportunity to stick it to the front office would be pretty appealing to me, in an extremely petty sort of way.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The Doctor has been saying the devils seem like the best fit for a while. Marek seems to think he’s onto something.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I could see something with Talbot being involved too. Fitzgerald mentioned they are looking for a goalie too lol

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd take a top 5 pick, 2nd and 3rd for Fiala. If it's above the 8.2m threshold and becomes 2 1sts along with a 2nd and 3rd, then I'm definitely okay.
It doesn't work that way. OS can only be offered after the 2022 draft, so we would be getting the (in this case) NJD 2023 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. No guarantee that the 1st is as low as a 5th. If I had to bet, I would say that NJD will be an improved team next year, with Holtz coming up, Fiala on the team, and all their young talent(Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer) maturing. Maybe not a playoff team, but we'd probably be picking in the 10-15 range in 2023, with nothing to show for the 2022-23 season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It doesn't work that way. OS can only be offered after the 2022 draft, so we would be getting the (in this case) NJD 2023 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. No guarantee that the 1st is as low as a 5th. If I had to bet, I would say that NJD will be an improved team next year, with Holtz coming up, Fiala on the team, and all their young talent(Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer) maturing. Maybe not a playoff team, but we'd probably be picking in the 10-15 range in 2023, with nothing to show for the 2022-23 season.

I'm wondering if GMBG is hoping for an OS to happen. It really could be the best case scenario for him. The fanbase gets to be angry at Fiala and another team.

GMBG gets an out because the contract (say $8.1m x 5) is too big. There isn't a chance to trade a player after an OS has been signed. Or really any chance to work out a trade if no trade happens at the draft.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm wondering if GMBG is hoping for an OS to happen. It really could be the best case scenario for him. The fanbase gets to be angry at Fiala and another team.

GMBG gets an out because the contract (say $8.1m x 5) is too big. There isn't a chance to trade a player after an OS has been signed. Or really any chance to work out a trade if no trade happens at the draft.
I don't want to preemptively crucify the guy, but at this point he's had months to lay the groundwork for deals with multiple teams. Assuming that an extension isn't in the cards, if they don't execute a trade by draft day you'd really have to wonder what exactly Guerin's been doing since last August.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't want to preemptively crucify the guy, but at this point he's had months to lay the groundwork for deals with multiple teams. Assuming that an extension isn't in the cards, if they don't execute a trade by draft day you'd really have to wonder what exactly Guerin's been doing since last August.
Keg stands

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Nice catch. I'm a year off! Still doesn't sound that bad of a deal when comparing paying 8m long term for Fiala. I doubt we're getting Holtz/Mercer plus in return, given NJD's life cycle, which would be closer to fair value.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

From the time of season start to the TDL, there wasn't a Fiala trade that would have made MN a better team. That probably extends even further back to the draft last year. From the TDL until the end of MN's Playoff run or the draft lottery there isn't anything to be done either.

I'm sure there will be some groundwork laid, but it's easy for things to fall apart at the draft. It could all depend on who is available at whatever pick and how the teams rate them. There is also the question if Fiala is willing to sign a longterm deal with teams that would need to be addressed.

If I'm NJD or OTT (teams linked to Fiala) I'd lay the groundwork for a possible trade. I'd also lay the groundwork with other teams the same way. Then I'd wait until my team was on the clock and decide which trade is best or if there is a player on the board that makes more sense to the team.

I think the whole thing was handled wrong by not signing Fiala to a longterm deal last offseason. Nothing that can be done about that now. Time to sit back and enjoy the show the in same way as getting passed by someone on the interstate in a snowstorm, and knowing you're going to see them sitting in the ditch within the next 5 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad