Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Addison turning up? I’d salivate over a prospect/center for Dumba+. I really wish he would impact the game more offensively, but he doesn’t consistently anymore post injury.

I could live with Goligoski, Spurgeon, Brodin, Addison, Merrill, and Benn tbh.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Addison turning up? I’d salivate over a prospect/center for Dumba+. I really wish he would impact the game more offensively, but he doesn’t consistently anymore post injury.

I could live with Goligoski, Spurgeon, Brodin, Addison, Merrill, and Benn tbh.
Dumba has been holding the defensive fort, being the one dman left with speed and athleticism after Brodin and Spurgeon went out. I am pretty happy with his leadership recently. We are a long way away from allowing him to leave. Goligoski looks terribly slow, and isn't the strongest guy to start with. I'm not sure that he should be re-signed next year, even for 2M. Benn has been doing ok, but is also terribly slow, and is below average on breakouts and coverage due to his slow feet and non existent puck skills.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Dumba has been holding the defensive fort, being the one dman left with speed and athleticism after Brodin and Spurgeon went out. I am pretty happy with his leadership recently. We are a long way away from allowing him to leave. Goligoski looks terribly slow, and isn't the strongest guy to start with. I'm not sure that he should be re-signed next year, even for 2M. Benn has been doing ok, but is also terribly slow, and is below average on breakouts and coverage due to his slow feet and non existent puck skills.
Running the math, the one other way that the Wild could keep Fiala and Dumba is shedding Goligoski/Kulikov, Greenway, and Talbot and replacing them with Addison, Dewar/Duhaime, and Wallstedt.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Talbot could be a sneaky trade candidate this summer.

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zucc
Boldy - Rossi - Fiala (6.5)
Foligno - JEE - Gaudreau
Duhaime - Sturm - Somebody (Dewar)

Brodin - Dumba
Kulikov - Spurgeon
Merill - Addison

Somebody (1.5)
Kahkonen

~$6 million in space to re-sign Kahkonen, Sturm and a 4th line wing. With Talbot it's only ~$4 million.

Greenway + Talbot to Detroit or something.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Running the math, the one other way that the Wild could keep Fiala and Dumba is shedding Goligoski/Kulikov, Greenway, and Talbot and replacing them with Addison, Dewar/Duhaime, and Wallstedt.
I might be ok with that, depending on how solid KK looks the rest of the way. Oh, and it wouldn't be Wallstedt, but some career backup, or at worst, Hammond for year. I mean, we got away with Stalock for years.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I might be ok with that, depending on how solid KK looks the rest of the way. Oh, and it wouldn't be Wallstedt, but some career backup, or at worst, Hammond for year. I mean, we got away with Stalock for years.

Yeah, Hammond for a year at like $1M until Wallstedt is ready. It'd be nice if we could get Kaapo to agree to something like 3 years @ $2M/yr. Then, we'd have our goaltending locked in through the dead cap at $3M.

The 23-24 season is where things will be really interesting. Boldy, Addison, Dumba, Kulikov, and Duhaime all have their contract up. Assuming the cap is at $83.5M for that season, they'll have $29M in space with the following roster:

Kap - Hart - Zucc
X - Rossi - X
Foligno - Ek - X
X - X - X

Brodin - Spurgeon
X - X
Merill - X

X
X

Assuming the goalies account for ~$3M, we've got $26M in space.

Fiala, Boldy, Addison and Dumba could account for $18M of that fairly easily, so $8M left for a #4D, 3rd line wing, entire 4th line, and extra skaters. Very likely not enough unless the team fills all of those spots with ELCs or cheap contracts.

Sturm - $1.5M
Duhaime - $1M
Dewar - $1M
Beckman - $0.9M
Lambos/O'Rourke - $0.9M

That leaves roughly $2.7M for extra skaters + bonus overages. Extremely tight, but potentially doable.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Talbot could be a sneaky trade candidate this summer.

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zucc
Boldy - Rossi - Fiala (6.5)
Foligno - JEE - Gaudreau
Duhaime - Sturm - Somebody (Dewar)

Brodin - Dumba
Kulikov - Spurgeon
Merill - Addison

Somebody (1.5)
Kahkonen

~$6 million in space to re-sign Kahkonen, Sturm and a 4th line wing. With Talbot it's only ~$4 million.

Greenway + Talbot to Detroit or something.
My numbers:

Fiala - 7m
KK - 1.5m
Sturm - 1m
Dewar - 900k
Shaw and Hunt make team.

Leaves ~500k in cap space next season.

In summer of 2023, Talbot, Kulikov, and Gaudreau come off the books, which is ~7m (2m of which must go to increase in buyouts).

Key guys like Dumba, Boldy, and Addison would need to get re-signed but it is possible, especially if Dumba stays flat on his contract to stay and Guerin bridges all the young guys until dead cap is gone.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I’d for sure bring goligoski back on a reasonable deal next year. Hasn’t looked that bad.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yes I could see Staal being signed after the Olympics. Would be worth a shot.

Is is worth a shot, yes. Will it happen, no.

It's about GMBG's job security and signing Staal is a no win move for him. If Staal lights it up then GMBG was wrong last year. If Staal falls flat on his face then it was a bad signing by GMBG this year.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Yes I could see Staal being signed after the Olympics. Would be worth a shot.

Not by the Wild. There is a reason Guerin traded him and he sure as s*** isn't bringing him back. And I don't think he's worth a shot. He hasn't gotten an offer by any other team for a reason either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not by the Wild. There is a reason Guerin traded him and he sure as s*** isn't bringing him back. And I don't think he's worth a shot. He hasn't gotten an offer by any other team for a reason either.

He had offers this summer, just not anywhere on the short list of he wanted to go IIRC. He's just in the Ryan Miller, Matt Cullen stage of his career. He'll only sign where he wants to play, not just play anywhere and pick up a paycheck. He's made a ton of money, won a Cup, won Gold medals, basically already done it all as a hockey player.

After the Olympics it'll be less than half a season, so he might sign wherever and gives him the best chance at another Cup. It would be one heck of a way to walk off into the sunset if you could win Olympic Gold and a Cup in your last season.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
He had offers this summer, just not anywhere on the short list of he wanted to go IIRC. He's just in the Ryan Miller, Matt Cullen stage of his career. He'll only sign where he wants to play, not just play anywhere and pick up a paycheck. He's made a ton of money, won a Cup, won Gold medals, basically already done it all as a hockey player.

After the Olympics it'll be less than half a season, so he might sign wherever and gives him the best chance at another Cup. It would be one heck of a way to walk off into the sunset if you could win Olympic Gold and a Cup in your last season.

I'm not as much saying he wouldn't be willing to come back and play for the Wild. I'm fairly certain he would. He's been vocal about how much he enjoyed it in MN. I'm more saying I don't think Guerin would consider bringing him back. IIRC he was the first one Guerin shipped out and was one of the people he essentially called out when he called out the vets for half a**ing it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not as much saying he wouldn't be willing to come back and play for the Wild. I'm fairly certain he would. He's been vocal about how much he enjoyed it in MN. I'm more saying I don't think Guerin would consider bringing him back. IIRC he was the first one Guerin shipped out and was one of the people he essentially called out when he called out the vets for half a**ing it.

Staal would come back, yes. GMBG won't sign him because even if Staal made the team better it makes him look bad as a GM. If Staal does well it opens the can of worms of what if the MarJo/Staal trade didn't happen for last year's team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anybody have any thoughts on Dylan Strome after seeing Chicago for 2 in a row? Probably not a great endorsement that I can't really remember him doing anything, but I also don't watch super close.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Anybody have any thoughts on Dylan Strome after seeing Chicago for 2 in a row? Probably not a great endorsement that I can't really remember him doing anything, but I also don't watch super close.

Looked a hell of a lot better than Gaudreau over both games. So, if he’s cheap, yes. Granted, this staff with still give Gaudreau significant minutes that he will do nothing with.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Dewar can play some C right? Maybe give him or Sturm a look between Fiala & Boldy. Sturm strikes me as a good fit as someone who can drive the net and open up lanes for two wings who are very skilled East-west

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think he’d kill as many plays as Gaudreau, that’s all I know

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He is by definition exactly what people want in regards to a cheap upgrade. He won’t wow you but he sure won’t just do nothing in the offensive zone.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He ended with a goal and an assist in the 2 games. I didn't even know he was on the ice for either of them. I'll admit I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention for parts of both games.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
He's very smart with the puck and a big body who's decent on faceoffs.

He can contribute offensively for sure.

His skating is hard to watch though but he gets it done

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Roslovic make any sense? Skilled but not much interest in playing a complete game so not convinced he can stick at the center position. But shouldn’t be too expensive to acquire I would imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad