Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
From the time of season start to the TDL, there wasn't a Fiala trade that would have made MN a better team. That probably extends even further back to the draft last year. From the TDL until the end of MN's Playoff run or the draft lottery there isn't anything to be done either.

I'm sure there will be some groundwork laid, but it's easy for things to fall apart at the draft. It could all depend on who is available at whatever pick and how the teams rate them. There is also the question if Fiala is willing to sign a longterm deal with teams that would need to be addressed.

If I'm NJD or OTT (teams linked to Fiala) I'd lay the groundwork for a possible trade. I'd also lay the groundwork with other teams the same way. Then I'd wait until my team was on the clock and decide which trade is best or if there is a player on the board that makes more sense to the team.

I think the whole thing was handled wrong by not signing Fiala to a longterm deal last offseason. Nothing that can be done about that now. Time to sit back and enjoy the show the in same way as getting passed by someone on the interstate in a snowstorm, and knowing you're going to see them sitting in the ditch within the next 5 miles.
I agree that this should have been handled last summer, but like you say: there's little point in complaining about that anymore.

By "groundwork" I just mean that he should have a good idea of:
- which teams are seriously interested
- which teams Fiala would or would not consider signing an extension with (at least to some degree)
- which picks/prospects/players Minnesota should be interested in
- which of those pieces could likely be pried away
- what the outline of a deal looks like (asking price, target price, etc.)

I'm sure trades are like most things where the last 10% takes about 50% of the time, but there's still a lot of legwork that can be done in advance.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree that this should have been handled last summer, but like you say: there's little point in complaining about that anymore.

By "groundwork" I just mean that he should have a good idea of:
- which teams are seriously interested
- which teams Fiala would or would not consider signing an extension with (at least to some degree)
- which picks/prospects/players Minnesota should be interested in
- which of those pieces could likely be pried away
- what the outline of a deal looks like (asking price, target price, etc.)

I'm sure trades are like most things where the last 10% takes about 50% of the time, but there's still a lot of legwork that can be done in advance.

I'd guess that a lot of that stuff with OTT has been done, they've been courting for awhile now. NJD seems like a rather new player in the mix. I'm sure there are other GMs who are at least kicking the tires.

I would hope that the front office at least has a rough internal prospect ranking/wishlist for each team in the league.

As for Fiala willing to sign long term and where. Who knows? I hope that question isn't asked until after the Playoffs are over. I'd be mad if it came out GMBG asked him before the Playoffs started, and it somehow threw Fiala off his game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd guess that a lot of that stuff with OTT has been done, they've been courting for awhile now. NJD seems like a rather new player in the mix. I'm sure there are other GMs who are at least kicking the tires.

I would hope that the front office at least has a rough internal prospect ranking/wishlist for each team in the league.

As for Fiala willing to sign long term and where. Who knows? I hope that question isn't asked until after the Playoffs are over. I'd be mad if it came out GMBG asked him before the Playoffs started, and it somehow threw Fiala off his game.
I agree that it's not something Guerin could bring up in-season, so there would be a lot of guesswork involved. Still, he should have at least some sense of where Fiala's priorities are based on previous contract talks.

In general I'd assume that any team that can offer him the deal he wants and isn't a verified tire fire would be fair game. Fiala could force his way to UFA via arbitration, but considering the season he's just had I assume he'd want to sign an extension this summer instead of taking the risk and waiting.

I guess Fiala could also just refuse to sign until after the draft so that he could see what he gets for offer sheets. That might offer the best of both worlds: a large contract and some control over his destination. He'd still probably end up leaving money on the table, though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree that it's not something Guerin could bring up in-season, so there would be a lot of guesswork involved. Still, he should have at least some sense of where Fiala's priorities are based on previous contract talks.

In general I'd assume that any team that can offer him the deal he wants and isn't a verified tire fire would be fair game. Fiala could force his way to UFA via arbitration, but considering the season he's just had I assume he'd want to sign an extension this summer instead of taking the risk and waiting.

I guess Fiala could also just refuse to sign until after the draft so that he could see what he gets for offer sheets. That might offer the best of both worlds: a large contract and some control over his destination. He'd still probably end up leaving money on the table, though.

Fiala could just sign his QO and be a UFA after next season.

Fiala could choose arbitration and force the Wild to either pay him what he's awarded or let him walk this offseason; that makes him a UFA in at most 2 seasons. This would be the nuclear option for Fiala, but also let everyone know how he feels about GMBG.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala could just sign his QO and be a UFA after next season.

Fiala could choose arbitration and force the Wild to either pay him what he's awarded or let him walk this offseason; that makes him a UFA in at most 2 seasons. This would be the nuclear option for Fiala, but also let everyone know how he feels about GMBG.
Possible, but those options carry the usual risks of injury or having a down year. It makes some sense if he really wants control over where he ends up. It makes less sense if he just wants to stick it to the Wild.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The fact that we're seriously talking about the potential of Fiala "sticking it to the Wild" this summer is a pretty sad commentary about the way he's been handled in his time here, by both coach and GM.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
As much as I'd want them to be, I can't see prospects like Quinn or Holtz being the return. Especially with Bill "I don't want to win trades, I just want to make a deal that's fair for everyone" Guerin driving the boat.

We should get a nice, physical, two-way middle six player who can play anywhere in the lineup (even though it should be the third line), and has good character.

Tyler Boucher + OTT 2nd sounds on brand for Guerin, to be honest.
I would die

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I still need to get to the bottom of how I feel about Holtz. He’s almost a perfect fit into our u20 core, but I’d need to know he’s going to be a 30 goal scorer. Even if he just becomes a boeser level player.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If the playoffs end up a failure, there's a chance Zuccarello gets traded this summer, according to Norwegian media.

And I don't disagree, Zucc probably doesn't see a chance to win a cup with this team anyway for the next couple of years.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If the playoffs end up a failure, there's a chance Zuccarello gets traded this summer, according to Norwegian media.

And I don't disagree, Zucc probably doesn't see a chance to win a cup with this team anyway for the next couple of years.

I understand it from Zucc's standpoint, he deserves to be competing for a cup and there are some better places to do that as he enters 35YO. From an organizational standpoint, if they could move the contract it would be beneficial going forward for obvious cap space reasons. I do like his veteran presence, but we may be able to replace that experience via FA with more wiggle room. I've enjoyed his time here, but it could be a mutual endpoint.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’ll be very curious to see how Kaprizov does without Zuccarello. There seems to be a group of people who think Zuccarello is a perfect fit for him and elevated Kaprizov. While they undeniably have great chemistry, I think 97 has proven to be the type of player who can produce with anyone.

How many points do we think he gets this year if he plays 80 games with Boldy & Gaudreau? I think it’s a lot closer to 108 than Zuccarello fans want to believe.

just jogged my memory: oh yeah, he has an elite shot:

His AHL numbers suggest he is about as safe of a prospect to gamble on in a Fiala trade as anyone else. The fact he is RH sniper who could bring balance to the PP is just an added bonus.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
In 17 games without Zucc this year, Kap's points per game actually went UP vs with Zucc.
Interesting. It would probably be unrealistic, but I’d like to see a Boldy-Scheifele-Kaprizov line. Probably see Kirill score 125 points.

I also think we need to look at how effective Spurgeon is on the PP. Seems to me that he is mostly focused on keeping pucks in and feeding simple passes to 97 & 22. If we had a genuine PPQB who was looking to get pucks to the net and open up seam passes, it would go a long way towards improving the abysmal PP

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I’d almost prefer BG to go full scorched Earth and trade all 3 of Fiala, Dumba, and Zucc. Especially with some of the returns those 3 could get, not to mention the $17M in potential cap relief. Likely never happening, but I think there are merits to it.

This team can thrive over the next 3 years on high potential ELCs and value contracts. Obviously it can go the complete opposite direction and the team falters from the inexperience leading to Kap’s departure. However, I find it hard to believe that the cap relief & assets from those trades can’t create a competitive playoff team through the dead cap.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’d almost prefer BG to go full scorched Earth and trade all 3 of Fiala, Dumba, and Zucc. Especially with some of the returns those 3 could get, not to mention the $17M in potential cap relief. Likely never happening, but I think there are merits to it.

This team can thrive over the next 3 years on high potential ELCs and value contracts. Obviously it can go the complete opposite direction and the team falters from the inexperience leading to Kap’s departure. However, I find it hard to believe that the cap relief & assets from those trades can’t create a competitive playoff team through the dead cap.
Agree on trading all 3 as long as the return for Fiala is something similar to Holtz+. if its just a 2nd round pick id be disappointed.

Reactions: Spurgeon

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
we/re not going to trade zucc. I could see BG trading Dumba and Fiala if he felt he could get a top 4 d-man locked up on a good deal. but, almost no chance we move zooky

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
we/re not going to trade zucc. I could see BG trading Dumba and Fiala if he felt he could get a top 4 d-man locked up on a good deal. but, almost no chance we move zooky
If we get bounced tomorrow night, i would hope he at least looks into it to see if he has a legit option to sell high on him.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Probably not, and we don't know how Kaprizov will react. Zucc is his mentor and best friend over here, some even call it a dad & son relationship, and Guerin loves the chemistry there. Even if Zucc may have a better chance to win a cup elsewhere, I don't think he'll ask for a trade.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think it matters who is traded. MN needs all 4 of Boldy, Fiala, Kap, and Zucc. Get rid of one and the team is back to one winger being stuck with trash on the 3rd line.

I don't think Rossi can step in next season and make an impact like Kaprizov and Boldy have the last 2 seasons.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think it matters who is traded. MN needs all 4 of Boldy, Fiala, Kap, and Zucc. Get rid of one and the team is back to one winger being stuck with trash on the 3rd line.

I don't think Rossi can step in next season and make an impact like Kaprizov and Boldy have the last 2 seasons.

This is kind of why I feel like a Fiala trade is gonna look more like Connor Brown, OTT 2nd, decent prospect, rather than the top prospect or high draft pick we all want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad